Board logo

VX800 Trike - Custom Build
flak monkey - 15/7/17 at 03:15 PM

Ren - my considerably better half - has always wanted a trike, and as she only has a bike licence it make sense from a practicality perspective I guess.

Not something that particularly appeals to me, it must be said, but I don't have to ride it

Had to be on a budget, and practical, so don't expect any extreme styling. But all in all I'm expecting this thing to cost me less than £1500 on the road

The plan is simple - a VX800 frame, which is tubular anyway, lop the back off it, reinforce the hoop a bit and then weld on a new rear section to house a solid mounted reliant axle.

I need some of the stuff out of the way in my workshop before we can start on a jig and getting the rear axle and frame sorted out

In the mean time, I've been working out what size rear wheels and tyres to run on the back to keep the gearing sensible.

The stock VX800 trike rear tyre is 150/70R17 which is about 25.25" diameter and the standard final drive is 3.090.

The reliant axle is 3.23 ratio. So to keep the RPM about the same, a wheel/tyre combo of approx 26.4" will be about right.

However given the extra weight, I'll go a little smaller, probably closer to the original bike size, somewhere around 26" diameter.

The first job is building myself a tube bender.... best get on with that!

sprintB+ - 15/7/17 at 03:47 PM

Hi, looks a good build. With a name like yours I reckon this site would far better suit this build. Really knowledgeable folk when it comes to trikes and bikes, we are pretty good at hot rods too. Here is a linky http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/forum/index.php

flak monkey - 15/7/17 at 04:29 PM

quote:
Originally posted by sprintB+
Hi, looks a good build. With a name like yours I reckon this site would far better suit this build. Really knowledgeable folk when it comes to trikes and bikes, we are pretty good at hot rods too. Here is a linky http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/forum/index.php

Thanks, I'll take a look at some point....

ollycutts1982 - 17/7/17 at 08:44 AM

Looking forward to following the build.