Board logo

where to start
jim_norfolk - 12/4/10 at 11:30 AM

any general advice on the best kit for a beginner? Cost and build time are important, not looking for ultimate performance. Looked at Robin Hoods ( or Zero?) and Aries ( who's site doesnt have a huge amount of text, or mention of donors but looks like it can be bought in managable components). I want something faithful in looks to the Lotus 7. Thanks

Daddylonglegs - 12/4/10 at 11:34 AM

Welcome to the forum

I'm sure many will agree, the best way to find out more about what you want is to see as many cars as you can and ask looooads of questions.

Best bet for starters I reckon is to get yourself to the Stoneleigh show on 2nd & 3rd May. Best one in my opinion and you'll get loads to choose from.

Click on this link

HTH.

JB

[Edited on 12/4/10 by Daddylonglegs]

Hellfire - 12/4/10 at 11:35 AM

Welcome to the forum. As you're already looking at Robin Hood and Aries, here's a few more kit manufacturers to look at and whet your appetite;

Roadrunner Racing
MNR
MK Sportscars
MAC 1

What engine are you considering fitting?

Phil

[Edited on 12-4-10 by Hellfire]

eddie99 - 12/4/10 at 11:35 AM

GTS Panther have been my first build and thought its suited the first build well. Just have a look around at the web and see what kit you like the look off. Then go to Stoneleigh and speak to the manufacturer, you are most likely to get decent deals at the show!

flak monkey - 12/4/10 at 11:36 AM

The Zero is a good budget choice, not the best on the market but if you are happy to do some more major jobs (welding etc) then its not a bad place to start for the money.

Other than that the MK is probably the most popular choice. But dont rule out people like Procomp (the LA Gold) either as Matt really know what he is doing.

Top of the line at the moment is the MNR in my opinion, but they do come at a bit of a premium over the other kits, but worth it if the budget is stretchable.

Whereabouts in North Norfolk are you? There are quite a few of us around Norfolk

jim_norfolk - 12/4/10 at 11:44 AM

wow....quick replies! Thanks

Flak Monkey....I'm in Sheringham!

alistairolsen - 12/4/10 at 11:45 AM

pick a kit manufacturer close enough to where you live to take advantage of after sales where possible

Look online for any feedback on the manufacturers, waiting times, build quality etc.

Look carefully at what you get, and reported feeback on mods made and work out the real cost to you. If a bracket needs moved and its 5 mins with a grinder and a welder then fine, but if its half an hour of someone elses time, moving equipment etc then its worth paying more to avoid it.

flak monkey - 12/4/10 at 11:49 AM

quote:
Originally posted by jim_norfolk
wow....quick replies! Thanks

Flak Monkey....I'm in Sheringham!

Not far away then! Its worth going to the big season opener at Stoneleigh in May. Speak to the manufacturers and talk about what you want. You'll find some helpful and friendly and others not.

Also speak to the owners of the different cars on the club stands and get their opinions on their builds.

David

boggle - 12/4/10 at 11:58 AM

what about the good 'ole haynes book???

pewe - 12/4/10 at 12:06 PM

Just to throw a curved ball into the discussion.
Most on here would agree that their build took a lot longer than they expected (some have taken 10 years +!).
Unless you are 100% determined to undertake your own build my suggestion would be to find a part-built car (preferably with a factory built chassis then you aren't relying on other's welding skills - or lack of them) and finish it to your liking.
This could also mean you pay less than buying a complete kit or just the chassis then spending time and money acquiring all the necessary before you pick up a spanner.
HTH.
Cheers, Pewe

eddie99 - 12/4/10 at 12:08 PM

Pewe's got a good point. Part built kits are going for very little money. All depends whether you want to have done it all yourself or what your trying to get out of it. If its more for the driving and on the side (i built the car) then probably worth part built. If your trying to learn etc... Then building it all is probably best!

edspurrier - 12/4/10 at 12:09 PM

Don't forget Tiger - not too far from you, helpful and decent kits.

mangogrooveworkshop - 12/4/10 at 12:26 PM

quote:
Originally posted by edspurrier
Don't forget Tiger - not too far from you, helpful and decent kits.

Better to start a new thread for that one

phelpsa - 12/4/10 at 12:32 PM

The quality of Aries components is excellent, however there is no 'donor car' or build guide really. Its more an extension of the original Locost idea than a 'kit car'. Having said that, Steve is extremely helpful and will do anything to make your build as smooth as possible without pressuring you to do the easy thing and spend more money with him, no matter what your plans are. He also appears to be able to give advice on the phone at any time day or night, I have no idea when he gets time to actually run such a successful business or build cars!

jim_norfolk - 12/4/10 at 12:32 PM

Thanks....yes I do keep an eye on eBay and it certainly seems a cheaper option. I guess you do have to keep an eye on built quality and registration paperwork though. Anyone built an Aries?

norfolkluego - 12/4/10 at 12:53 PM

Jim,
That's a good shout about Tiger, they're just along the A47 at Thorney and from personal experience are a very helpful bunch.
Have a look at Luego too, my current kit and not at the expensive end of the market.

franky - 12/4/10 at 03:07 PM

I'd put another curve ball in for a GKD Legend, not far from you and support is second to none. Quality donors are very cheap too.

Thurbs - 12/4/10 at 03:22 PM

I'm currently about 3/4 through an aries build and I second whats been said before Steve is a very helpful bloke and will sell you as much or as little as you need with no pressure or guilt trips. All his components and top notch and in my opinion well priced.
This is my first kit and the lack of build manual hasn't caused any problems the few times I've been stuck a quick call to Steve and an explanation and e-mailed photos saved the day.
Have a day trip and go and see him and you'll probably end up staying for hours gassing with Steve.

adithorp - 12/4/10 at 03:27 PM

Above anything else I'd say get to Stoneleigh show next month and have a good look around.

All the manufacturers will be there and, given good weather, lots of finished cars to compare along with thier owners, who'll tell you all the good and bad things about them.

adrian

iank - 12/4/10 at 06:30 PM

Aries used to be the Stuart Taylor, don't think there have been many fundamental changes since then. I'd agree with going to Stoneleigh, a lot of the kits are very differently proportioned to the original Lotus7/Caterham as they use unmodified Sierra driveshafts so are the same rear track, rather than the much narrower originals. On a personal level I much prefer the original proportions to the wide arse look, but each to their own.

Take a look at BenB's web-page for a build diary for a ST.

phelpsa - 12/4/10 at 10:19 PM

The Aries / ST use shortened driveshafts which means it looks much better proportioned than any of the other sierra IRS cars. IMO of course!