Board logo

Mondeo 2.0 TDCI airbag light on ??
steve m - 16/2/12 at 05:47 PM

My airbag light has been on for some time, and in light of the new MOT rules, i deceided to check all the underseat wiring, as that seems to be the area of the problem on a few cars, but not on mine!
all seems fine, and a squirt of electrical cleaner, and all back together, but the problem is still there

what can i check next, before having to pay for it to be plugged into diagnostics

Steve

Agriv8 - 16/2/12 at 06:18 PM

steve have you a fault reader ?

had the same problem on my A6 plugged the ODB2 reader in and ot told me that the drivers seat had been unplugged ( i knew see airbag wally.

but it told me which was at fault.

Maybe someone local could help if they have one handy

regards

Agriv8

Edited to add does the seat get adjusted lot or stuff rolling under the seat that could have damaged the wire ?

[Edited on 16/2/12 by Agriv8]

[Edited on 16/2/12 by Agriv8]

steve m - 16/2/12 at 06:33 PM

I have a cheapo OBD reader/ reset tool, that does most engine angement problems, but it does not seem to do anything with aibags!

MOT isnt due till sept, so plenty of time!
But for safetey, i would like it fixed

Steve

PSpirine - 16/2/12 at 06:57 PM

Be careful, some have been known to actually function as a warning lamp ahead of impending failure.

I've heard of several going off on their own shortly after the warning light came on. Usually it's the seats that blow, but aside from the injury you get when it goes, the shock is likely to make you swerve somewhere!
On most cars, the airbag warning light is triggered by a dodgy connection under the seats. I'm guessing the failures happen because the connection is intermittent and somehow shorts/spikes a voltage to the airbag. If that's the case, you're better off just disconnecting them..

motorcycle_mayhem - 16/2/12 at 07:51 PM

************Careful****************

My MK1 Mundaneo (1996) blew it's airbag after I'd ignored the light for 3 days. Thankfully while relieving myself on the side of the A303, scared the hell out me. Really would not have liked to have been on the end of it, it's one helluva device.

steve m - 16/2/12 at 07:55 PM

The light has been on for about 6 months
But sometimes, it does not come on in a journey, so intermittent

Steve

britishtrident - 16/2/12 at 08:02 PM

Always disconnect the battery and wait 20 minutes before playing around with air bag connectors.

The most likely cause is the connectors under the seats for the air thorax bags and/or the seat occupancy sensor. disconnect and clean with contact clearer then apply silicone grease.

If the light dosen't go out after that get the codes read but it will need a scanner that reads more than the minimum OBDii CODES.