Board logo

which car to go for
craig5 - 1/6/15 at 02:21 PM

hello new to all this as ive been into bikes for years now desided fancy a kit car which will have odd day on road with view to spending a fair few days on the track what are pros and cons with either the car or bike engined kits?

daniel mason - 1/6/15 at 02:35 PM

You have just opened a can of worms my friend!
But not for the first time.
Any road going car will be slightly compromised on track and you first need to weigh up wether or not you think tax,insurance,mot's etc are worth it,if what you really want is a track car!
If you want to go really quick on track then something aero styled like a spire or radical may be an option,although very few of these cars ever get put on the road. If you want a 7 type which is road legal then there are pros and cons for every make and engine but
For customer service and a good car - MNR are hard to beat
For a very nice,well sorted chassis which won't lose much value -westfield are great
High end budget but very well sorted and probably won't lose a penny in value - caterham
Or a cheaper option. But a giant killer on track due to weight and handling - sylva striker

adithorp - 1/6/15 at 02:39 PM

Welcome Craig.

I guess you don't know how big a can of worms you've just opened with that question. Pop-corn sales are about to go up.

The answer is get a BEC.
On the plus side; They're faster, louder, corner better, stop quicker, sequential 'box, clutchless changes...
The downside; You'll have to listen to loads of people telling you why all those plus points are really negatives... most of whom have never tried one.

craig5 - 1/6/15 at 02:43 PM

have a friends with rover v8 and he says the bike engined car engines dont last due to higher stress

daniel mason - 1/6/15 at 02:48 PM

Don't believe him Craig. He was probably getting smoked on track by one!
They last well. Just ask Adi what road miles and track days his R1's covered

craig5 - 1/6/15 at 02:53 PM

im guessing the bike engined car are lighter than the car engined

craig5 - 1/6/15 at 02:56 PM

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271887229860?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

like that 1 and local

craig5 - 1/6/15 at 02:57 PM

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231572056996?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

but really like that too

craig5 - 1/6/15 at 02:58 PM

Stuart Taylor R1 Injection 170bhp

and this but big distance from me

daniel mason - 1/6/15 at 03:00 PM

By a big margin, mainly due to integral 6 speed box where a car motor needs a rwd box bolted to it! That doesn't mean to say they aren't quick because they are. They do have more grunt and more power with a wise engine choice. But if I was spending lots of time on circuits (like I do) then bike power is the sensible option.
They are very responsive,very loud and very light which helps massively under braking and in the bends. The downside is On a track day, you'll be hasstling the car engined cars under braking and in the bends where your not allowed to overtake. Then the car engined cars can pull away on the straights if high powered

craig5 - 1/6/15 at 03:01 PM

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/bike-powered-cars/cars/mk-indy-zx9r------2002/3898354

and this and lad is nice lad as spoke alot just not sure of the zx9 engine

craig5 - 1/6/15 at 03:05 PM

i am more on the bike engined side daniel if im honest but that sylva does look nice

wylliezx9r - 1/6/15 at 03:05 PM

In my opinion the tiger is too heavy a chassis for a bike engine. Its pretty crude and uses the full Sierra rear end and front trailing arms.

The ZX9R performance may well be a bit underwhelming depending on what your used too.

If it were me I would go for the Stryker, they are small fast and agile and with that engine would be very quick.

The Stuart Taylor looks decent enough but with that short gearing I reckon you would be lucky to see 100mph.

[Edited on 1/6/15 by wylliezx9r]

daniel mason - 1/6/15 at 03:05 PM

There's a very quick fuel injected yamaha r1 engine car on uphillracers at a bargain price. It's down to £6k and road legal.but it's a competative competition car! Take a look at it
Stuart Taylor R1

daniel mason - 1/6/15 at 03:07 PM

That r1 car is still for sale at £6k they are very light and agile also

craig5 - 1/6/15 at 03:11 PM

the zx9r engine is a downer or id of bought it already but i do work alot of car was thinking how easy would it be dropping a 2011 zx10r into it?

craig5 - 1/6/15 at 03:12 PM

quote:
Originally posted by craig5
the zx9r engine is a downer or id of bought it already but i do work alot of car was thinking how easy would it be dropping a 2011 zx10r into it?

it was last week daniel spoke to owner phil alot its just 400 miles from me and i have been trying to broker a deal

craig5 - 1/6/15 at 03:13 PM

quote:
Originally posted by daniel mason
There's a very quick fuel injected yamaha r1 engine car on uphillracers at a bargain price. It's down to £6k and road legal.but it's a competative competition car! Take a look at it
Stuart Taylor R1

the stryker is still for sale too im very confused ha

wylliezx9r - 1/6/15 at 03:17 PM

quote:

Not easy, basically like starting again from fresh.

daniel mason - 1/6/15 at 03:18 PM

Which striker?

craig5 - 1/6/15 at 03:20 PM

quote:

this 1 daniel

craig5 - 1/6/15 at 03:22 PM

so not case of replacing engine maybe rewelding mounts and connecting to diff then swoping looms?

Jon Ison - 1/6/15 at 03:30 PM

Mostly track use? Bike engine, thread closed.

daniel mason - 1/6/15 at 03:34 PM

Yeah. That's not a striker. That's a STM R1
It will cost a fortune to swap engines also.
You need engine cradle, prop adaptor. Propshaft, possible diff ratio, ecu,loom,dash,power commander, exhaust system, mapping etc

craig5 - 1/6/15 at 03:46 PM

quote:

sorry this 1 daniel

craig5 - 1/6/15 at 03:47 PM

quote:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231572056996?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

but really like that too

sorry this 1 ha

craig5 - 1/6/15 at 06:04 PM

so out of the 1's which would you say will be most competitive on the track

peter030371 - 1/6/15 at 06:37 PM

quote:
quote:
Factory Built Raw Sylva Striker Turbo Charged Kit Car 4OOBHP Per Ton

but really like that too

sorry this 1 ha

I could be wrong but I am sure that was sold on ebay with a different colour bonnet (red if I remember) earlier in the year. Still looks like it has lots of poke though

adithorp - 1/6/15 at 07:10 PM

quote:

Probably the MK R1 you've been looking at on here.

craig5 - 1/6/15 at 07:15 PM

quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
quote:

Probably the MK R1 you've been looking at on here.

it will be quicker than the Stuart Taylor as that has the newer 5vy engine ?

craig5 - 1/6/15 at 07:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by peter030371
quote:
quote:

but really like that too

sorry this 1 ha

I could be wrong but I am sure that was sold on ebay with a different colour bonnet (red if I remember) earlier in the year. Still looks like it has lots of poke though

not sure but he does have 2 cars for sale the stricker plus he has a Aries with aprilla rsv engine

daniel mason - 1/6/15 at 07:26 PM

The STM by far the quicker car. But if I remember it's running a very low geared diff as it's pretty much a hillclimb and sprint car where speeds are generally slower but acceleration is critical! Not a big job to swap it though.
But on the flip side it won't be great on the road!
The STM cars are small and light In Comparison to most. Probably the most similar to the caterham in terms of dimensions!
Watch his youtube videos

craig5 - 1/6/15 at 07:43 PM

Have Daniel and he also has a spare diff with higher ratio

gaz_gaz - 1/6/15 at 07:54 PM

that stuart taylor is a bargain, I've been toying with the idea of buying it for a summer blaster while i put my mongrel together but I know I'll do loads of trackdays instead of putting my own car back together!!

[Edited on 1/6/15 by gaz_gaz]

daniel mason - 1/6/15 at 08:09 PM

Go for it gaz. And sign up to a few climbs and sprints during the summer. That'll be super quick in road going classes

gaz_gaz - 1/6/15 at 08:17 PM

not with me driving it wont..

daniel mason - 1/6/15 at 08:23 PM

I've seen your video at spa. Your quicker than me and I do ok

craig5 - 1/6/15 at 08:28 PM

don't talk him into it :-p

gaz_gaz - 1/6/15 at 08:34 PM

Craig, If i didn't have a garage full I'd have it already, I'm waiting on my RX8 trackcar being collected, The fella is messing me about but he's collecting Thursday apparently, If it happens I'll be going to take a look at the STM
A couple of minor cosmetic changes and it'd be perfect, I'd personally wrap the side panels in black, replace the headlights with non chrome items, and maybe have the wheels redone, it'd make a blinding car for summer!!

daniel mason - 1/6/15 at 08:45 PM

I agree totally with cosmetics. I'd probably keep it all yellow with a black nose come as I quite like that scheme

craig5 - 1/6/15 at 08:51 PM

the dash surround was my main issue would I be able to get a carbon 1 for it as I'd like to redo it?

daniel mason - 1/6/15 at 09:11 PM

What's the issue with the dash? Plain black looks ok to me and the bike clocks look nice. Paddle shift etc
You could wrap the dash in 3m di-noc carbon wrap

craig5 - 1/6/15 at 09:14 PM

Just centre it has ruff plastic and the koso mounting I'd rather have a flush fitting within dash

daniel mason - 1/6/15 at 09:17 PM

You might not be able to see it if you sink it back in because of the top of the steering wheel

craig5 - 1/6/15 at 09:38 PM

Maybe Daniel will give it some thought as stricker still for sale so there my 2 favs

daniel mason - 1/6/15 at 09:44 PM

Is the striker not an old 1.6 ford turbo?

CosKev3 - 1/6/15 at 09:53 PM

How big are you?(height and width )
As strikers are tiny inside.

craig5 - 1/6/15 at 09:53 PM

Yes but been refurbed wouldn't u bother Daniel he also has Aries with a
Aprilla rsv engine

daniel mason - 1/6/15 at 10:03 PM

I think you'll just have to have a good look around, go to a track day and get some passenger laps, see what you prefer- car or bike power
From what I can gather it sounds like bike power would suit you more,especially as a track car.
The performance on track between those 2 cars would In my opinion be massive.
Those r1's are cheap as chips now and you could have one out and a new one back in, in a couple of hours is anything went wrong!
Small things like paint,dash, clocks, wheels etc are all personal touches you can add to a car at any time for minimal cost. If you buy the wrong car and want to swap engines etc, it will be much more expensive

daniel mason - 1/6/15 at 10:05 PM

And Aries is Stuart Taylor (STM) they took over a few years back so possibly go look at the striker,and get a ride in the STM Aries as well? Although the rsv won't rev like the r1

bi22le - 1/6/15 at 10:08 PM

I would not feel too pressured or rushed into getting anything.

Try getting rides in some cars and kicking some tyres. If you like a BEC then a RST 1.6 is far from that in many ways.

I had a BEC first and loved it. I then fell in love with RAW Strikers after watching some RGB racing years ago. I waited for nearly a year for the right one to come up for sale. I wanted a particular engine. I went for the 4AGE 20V because I felt the BEC was lacking when 2 up and had read good things about 20V Toyotas, considered a good in between engine. Twice the torque of a BEC but loves to sing to well over 8K RPM.

Its a buyers market and there are many flavours of car. If you want a track car of any type ( and you consider yourself a good driver) then I would try and buy something that has been used and developed for the track. Any teething issues would of been ironed out and they would of done the most simplest of prep work road cars just dont see.

Search for geometry set up and imperial metric bush bolts.

Soon you will start tinkering with weight and minor track orientated changes, forgetting about if the dash is flush or not!

Good luck and ask away.

craig5 - 1/6/15 at 10:10 PM

Thanks for all ur help

craig5 - 2/6/15 at 09:48 AM

quote:
Yes but been refurbed wouldn't u bother Daniel he also has Aries with a
Aprilla rsv engine

im 5 9" and about 12 stone i go gym daily as i used to do alot of racing on my bike and track days in my old evo tme and impreza

craig5 - 2/6/15 at 09:50 AM

quote:
Originally posted by gaz_gaz
Craig, If i didn't have a garage full I'd have it already, I'm waiting on my RX8 trackcar being collected, The fella is messing me about but he's collecting Thursday apparently, If it happens I'll be going to take a look at the STM
A couple of minor cosmetic changes and it'd be perfect, I'd personally wrap the side panels in black, replace the headlights with non chrome items, and maybe have the wheels redone, it'd make a blinding car for summer!!

just repaint wheels or replace?

craig5 - 2/6/15 at 09:51 AM

quote:
Originally posted by CosKev3

im 5 9" and about 12 stone i go gym daily as i used to do alot of racing on my bike and track days in my old evo tme and imprez

bi22le - 2/6/15 at 08:43 PM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by CosKev3

im 5 9" and about 12 stone i go gym daily as i used to do alot of racing on my bike and track days in my old evo tme and imprez

Not a problem. I am about the same size (with less muscle and more fat) and fit in the striker fine. The guy who previously owned mine was well over 6ft and made changes to get in. I had to reverse these as I am quite a bit smaller.

daniel mason - 2/6/15 at 08:52 PM

You should try squeezing into a force! I'm just wedged in

craig5 - 2/6/15 at 10:58 PM

well I've gone and done it :-)

daniel mason - 3/6/15 at 05:35 AM

Go on then. Spill the beans?

craig5 - 3/6/15 at 07:04 AM

Looks like the STM r1 will have new home soon :-)

daniel mason - 3/6/15 at 09:29 AM

I saw it had gone on uphillracers! That's a wise choice in my opinion and an absolute steal!
Take it easy for a while as these things can bite hard if you don't know what your doing!
Where are you located?

craig5 - 3/6/15 at 09:44 AM

north wales and im looking at changing diff soon as i get just unsure on either 3.6 or the 3.9

Karl H - 3/6/15 at 09:41 PM

A lot of car for that price, have fun. If you find yourself at Ty Croes give us a shout.

Autoflock Motorsport - 5/6/15 at 05:42 PM

well should all meet up at anglesey soon for a meet/track day:-)

Ive got a BEC and also buying a new kit towards the end of the year, either a ffr818r or a 7 style of some sort

craig5 - 6/6/15 at 06:52 PM

I'm up for it :-), how is the zx9 going Karl?

Karl H - 6/6/15 at 09:22 PM

The cars great, now the suns come out I have decided to keep it for a bit longer.

craig5 - 6/6/15 at 09:28 PM

will have to go ty croes when I've sorted the STM

daniel mason - 6/6/15 at 09:54 PM

There's a cracking sprint there in September craig. 2 days on 2 different layouts! It's very well organised and loads of runs possible

PAUL FISHER - 6/6/15 at 09:55 PM

A good choice

http://youtu.be/K0g17OOTpYI

craig5 - 7/6/15 at 09:47 AM

quote:
Originally posted by daniel mason
There's a cracking sprint there in September craig. 2 days on 2 different layouts! It's very well organised and loads of runs possible

at ty croes?

daniel mason - 7/6/15 at 11:36 AM

Yes mate!