Board logo

Old car parts
Slimy38 - 30/12/17 at 10:58 AM

I was tidying my garage a couple of days ago, and I was astonished by the number of spare parts that I had accumulated. A lower ball joint for a mk4 Golf, a set of brake pads for an unknown car, a set of head bolts for a Mark 3 Astra, oil filters for countless cars that were disposed of before they were serviced, and so on. Parts that are extremely unlikely to be used, but are still brand new, often in sealed packs.

I doubt they have any sale value, so it's not as if I'd be losing anything by binning them, but it seems such a waste. Any suggestions what I could do with them?

CosKev3 - 30/12/17 at 11:35 AM

It's free to list stuff on Ebay, doesn't take long to list stuff on the Ebay app either

daviep - 31/12/17 at 01:08 AM

Bin them, life's too short, time and space are the most precious commodities as you get older.

James24785 - 31/12/17 at 10:12 AM

I agree with the above. Just bin them. Their value isn't worth the hassle of selling, in my opinion

MikeR - 31/12/17 at 06:45 PM

Weigh up the time / profit and either sell them or give them away as a job lot (I'm sure someone on a Facebook free page would come & collect and sell them at a car boot.)

At least that way they don't end up as land fill

steve m - 31/12/17 at 09:45 PM

Agree with the above, but if space isn't a problem keep the stuff

ive thrown away pounds of stuff that could of been worth something, but there again, once im dead, my family wouldn't have a clue what they are

So, bin the shit, keep the best

Mike Wood - 1/1/18 at 09:00 AM

Got a local Men's shed? if so, contact them to see if they want them - they may know of some deserving people who want some service bits/a service for an old car, and they may have the time/inclination to eBay/Gumtree/auto jumble the rest.

First thing - if you can be bothered is list the part names, part numbers and vehicles they are for.

Cheers
Mike

PS made me think I and probably many others have a similar stockpile.

[Edited on 1/1/18 by Mike Wood]

[Edited on 1/1/18 by Mike Wood]

02GF74 - 1/1/18 at 10:22 AM

On one hand it is wasteful to throw useful stuff away especially when there is some money to be made but on the other hand what is the point in spending time for little reward?

Most efficient way would be to list on gumtree or ebay as one or more job lots with a low starting price so the problem of sorting and identification shifts to the buyer.

Slimy38 - 1/1/18 at 11:43 AM

Thanks for the replies, I think I came to similar conclusions. While a bit of extra money would be nice, my time and effort is far more valuable. If it takes me an hour to list them on a selling site, but I only get a fiver profit (if that) then that's an expensive hour.

It also doesn't help that while some parts have part numbers that relate to something (NGK plugs are an obvious one), some other parts are just labelled 'VW' or similar.

I'll keep hold of them for now, 'just in case'...

steve m - 1/1/18 at 12:00 PM

As for time and effort, its a choice, I used to sell quite a bit of stuff on ebay, and some stuff made good prices, and others didn't, but its the hassle of selling that has now stopped me,

on another side, a few years ago, I broke up into steel cast alui etc TWO old knackered crossflow engines and took the lot to a metal buyers place, and got £14 for the lot
£14 for a bout 3 days work, I was not pleased !!

motorcycle_mayhem - 1/1/18 at 03:42 PM

quote:
Originally posted by James24785
I agree with the above. Just bin them. Their value isn't worth the hassle of selling, in my opinion

This is fact, at least through my eyes and experience.

Listing on Ebay was a great way of distributing unwanted matter, but it's now a minefield of troubles. Simply weigh-in the metallic and everything else dispatch to landfill. No timewasters, no criminals and no grief.