Board logo

Lucky 13th!
David Jenkins - 5/5/18 at 11:37 AM

Yesterday I was shocked to find that my little toy car has passed its 13th MOT - is it really that long?! It's hard to believe...

jimmyd - 5/5/18 at 09:17 PM

Interesting wing stay! I assume to prevent vibration.

I take it there is a bearing in there, very clever.

David Jenkins - 6/5/18 at 08:02 AM

quote:
Originally posted by jimmyd
Interesting wing stay! I assume to prevent vibration.

I take it there is a bearing in there, very clever.

Yes - I had broken about 3 nearside wing stays in the past so I devised this setup, based on something I saw on-line. I took it to a show many years ago and had a few people very puzzled!

More details on my website here. - click on the 'Front wing stays' menu item.

steve m - 6/5/18 at 03:17 PM

My 19th Mot will be soon, shows our age David doesn't it !!

And still in that time there are guys on here, who havnt finished their KIT CAR

steve

SJ - 6/5/18 at 04:49 PM

Got me thinking - mine is due its 9th this month!

Better get it booked in on Tuesday.

Stu

Angel Acevedo - 7/5/18 at 01:36 PM

quote:
Originally posted by steve m

steve

Dawn...!!
That was rude...
Or not?
I´m not that long into the buils... only 11 years this September.
Regards
AA

MikeR - 7/5/18 at 07:03 PM

quote:
Originally posted by steve m
My 19th Mot will be soon, shows our age David doesn't it !!

steve

Yes, but i'm building from scratch, keep changing the design, have let partners / houses / children take precidence.....

however, after a diagnosis and treatment for cancer earlier this year i'm full of enthusiam to get it finished asap..... hopefully this time next year i can be posting im on the road (and a few gentle prods to remind me of this post may help any lagging enthusiasm).

PAULD - 7/5/18 at 07:57 PM

Do you guys, like me, go back to the old Locost car club days? I Don't recognise anyone on this forum from then. If I remember, the aim was just to build a car, the performance was irrelevant! Mike, good luck with the recovery, I've been there myself. Persevere and the energy comes back even if it takes some time.

David Jenkins - 8/5/18 at 12:41 PM

quote:
Originally posted by PAULD
Do you guys, like me, go back to the old Locost car club days? I Don't recognise anyone on this forum from then.

I'm from that era - scary, isn't it!

MikeR - 8/5/18 at 12:59 PM

I'm sure I joined. I remember some news letter which seemed to stop as soon as I joined.

I was also on 'the other list' - the email group that existed before this site.

In the garage right now and have just fitted the rally design type 9 extension. I made one from David's plans which never worked properly. After many years thinking - why doesn't it work properly I thought 'sod it'. Best 60 quid I've spent in a while, now have all 5 gears plus reverse. Will one day revisit the one I made and figure out what I did wrong. Now tinkering with handbrake before I remake the panhard rod mount (which means I can properly measure drive shaft lengths to get them made......

Things like the newsletter inspired me to keep going.

David Jenkins - 8/5/18 at 01:33 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
In the garage right now and have just fitted the rally design type 9 extension. I made one from David's plans which never worked properly.

I'm going to sulk now...

MikeR - 8/5/18 at 01:38 PM

I wouldn't sulk, I'd laugh at me. I cut metal for two. Made one about 10 years ago. Never been happy. Tinkered but never figured it out. Never tried making a second. Wasted all that time when I could have just bought one (unfortunate determination to make not buy)

PAULD - 8/5/18 at 01:58 PM

Ah, the news letter, I remember that. A lot simpler back then.

David Jenkins - 8/5/18 at 04:07 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
I wouldn't sulk, I'd laugh at me. I cut metal for two. Made one about 10 years ago. Never been happy. Tinkered but never figured it out. Never tried making a second. Wasted all that time when I could have just bought one (unfortunate determination to make not buy)

Don't worry, I'm only yanking your chain!

The alignment of all the bits is far more critical than the Westfield type - when my design is good, it's very good, but I can easily see how a bit of misalignment could easily screw it up. I can see how problems would be hard to diagnose as well... I made my extension with the gearbox out of the car, which makes problem-solving MUCH easier.