Board logo

Transporting part built kit
rufus357 - 7/11/18 at 11:17 AM

I have provisionally bought a part built Fisher Fury kit that's at the wrong end of the country. Rolling chassis with engine separate from the body panels and a loads of boxes of parts.

Any ideas on how to get it from Durham to Kent? Can anyone suggest good transport company who would moved it?

If at all possible, I don't want to use up a load of home-life goodwill by disappearing for 2 days to collect it - I'd rather put that time into working on it....

Thanks

Alastair

nero1701 - 7/11/18 at 11:21 AM

In the past i have used a company called shipley,

What you do is List what you want to have transported and how, the companies 'bid' for the job..

It does rely on a certain amount of goodwill from seller with regards to packing the goods and boxes..

rufus357 - 7/11/18 at 11:35 AM

Thanks - submitted a quote request

designer - 7/11/18 at 11:36 AM

Don't use a bloke called Zilla on Shiply; he's a crook.

nero1701 - 7/11/18 at 11:42 AM

Where in kent are you?

im in cuxton and have a sylva..another JP car of you fancy popping up for a look and a brew , drop me a pm

rufus357 - 7/11/18 at 04:27 PM

quote:
Originally posted by nero1701
Where in kent are you?

im in cuxton and have a sylva..another JP car of you fancy popping up for a look and a brew , drop me a pm

Thanks! I'm down in Cranbrook so a little way away but will keep that in mind when I need some inspiration!

jeffw - 7/11/18 at 04:41 PM

Just up the road from Fury Sportscars then lol

rufus357 - 7/11/18 at 04:43 PM

quote:
Originally posted by jeffw
Just up the road from Fury Sportscars then lol

Yup and next door neighbours to BGH gearboxes (who also used own the Fury business...)

rufus357 - 7/11/18 at 07:32 PM

I have managed to borrow a large car transporter trailer. Does anyone have a view of if an unfitted body tub and bonnet could be safely “laid” on top of a rolling chassis and tied down without damaging the gel coat?

nero1701 - 7/11/18 at 07:41 PM

Personally, I’d be worried about it being blown off. 70mph is a hell of a lot of force and generates a hell of a lot of wind. If it gets under one of those panels, the panels getting blown off.

Is it a rolling chassis ? Possibly would go into the back of a long wheel base van ? If indeed the body isn’t attached. The chassis isn’t that long ?

JimSpencer - 8/11/18 at 07:56 AM

quote:
Originally posted by rufus357
I have managed to borrow a large car transporter trailer. Does anyone have a view of if an unfitted body tub and bonnet could be safely “laid” on top of a rolling chassis and tied down without damaging the gel coat?

Hi

Think you're on the right track, Shipley's to move a complete car, fine - one in semi component form where you want it all to arrive in good order.. I'd go an get it myself..

1st choice - Pull the trailer with a van.

Take lots of old blankets, sheets, rope, ratchet straps (good ones, not the 25mm orange ones from the £1 shop) and a big bag of long tie wraps.
Put everything in the van, fasten it all down really well, just the rolling chassis on the trailer - job jobbed.

Or if you've only got a tow car:-

Get a couple of good quality tarpaulins, the ones with lots of eyes round the edges a 3 x 6m should do it , but I'd take a 4x6 as well.
Take more old blankets, sheets, rope, ratchet straps a big bag of long tie wraps etc.

Put everything that will fit in the car.

Rolling chassis on trailer, body on chassis, fasten it all down well, cover the body with the blankets, and I'd tape them on to make sure they don't move, then sheet it using the tarpaulin and really take your time, rope round the perimeter using the eyes and then tie wrap/ rope the tarp perimeter rope to the trailer eyes, then rope over the top of the tarp to make sure it doesn't flutter.

Youtube for 'sheeting a lorry' will illustrate.

Though preferably just pull the trailer with a van..

steve m - 8/11/18 at 08:59 AM

I would also put as much in the car, even if you have to debox it, then the chassis engine and body on the trailer, and WELL strapped down, and possibly tarp covered

I wouldn't worry about the 70mph problem, as the most you can do is 60 legally, and not allowed in the outside lane of a Motorway

Have you towed before, and have the right licence, as my 42 year old son hassnt, as passed his test after Jan 1997

tims31 - 8/11/18 at 12:03 PM

quote:
Personally, I’d be worried about it being blown off. 70mph is a hell of a lot of force and generates a hell of a lot of wind. If it gets under one of those panels, the panels getting blown off.

Is it a rolling chassis ? Possibly would go into the back of a long wheel base van ? If indeed the body isn’t attached. The chassis isn’t that long ?

Hire a Luton van with a tail lift, you can use the tail lift to lift the chassis up with the engine at the front and a engine crane at the rear to lift the back of the chassis up. Solves the problem of chassis and bodywork being strapped down.

Or ask the seller to remove the engine and gearbox and still use a luton van with the tail lift. Chassis, bodywork and engine will easily fit.

[Edited on 8/11/18 by tims31]

nick205 - 8/11/18 at 03:16 PM

Have to say I'd be looking at going to pick it up myself in either a closed Luton type van or on a trailer (driving licence and skill permitting). If you have a tow vehicle then trailers can be hired for reasonable money.

I'm in Hampshire and drove my Dad's flat bed open Transit up to MK Sportcars in 2003 to pick up my Indy. I didn't pick up the GRP, just the chassis and wishbones. A days driving to get there and back, but I was in contro, of it and not entrusting anyone elses packing, driving or vehicle.

rufus357 - 8/11/18 at 04:17 PM

Thanks for all the input guys. I think the choices I have are trailer (no cost but a bit tricky) or Luton (easier and safer but requires hiring)

I'll let you know how it goes !

rufus357 - 21/11/18 at 11:39 AM

Well we did it. Heck of a long drive to and from Durham but now successfully in the garage with no damage

[img]https://flic.kr/p/Pim3Ur[/img]

[img]https://flic.kr/p/2bXsK3S[/img]

[img]https://flic.kr/p/2bXsK29[/img]

nero1701 - 21/11/18 at 12:22 PM

Looks awesome..

might jump in mine and pop down for a look

rufus357 - 22/11/18 at 07:20 PM

quote:
Looks awesome..

might jump in mine and pop down for a look

That would be great - come tell me what the flip i need to do :-)

rufus357 - 22/11/18 at 07:22 PM

Ugh I cant seem to share photos from flickr and I am getting an SQE error when I try to upload them to my photo archive to share from there - any clues?

[Edited on 22/11/18 by rufus357]

davspeed - 23/11/18 at 12:42 PM

quote:
Originally posted by rufus357
Ugh I cant seem to share photos from flickr and I am getting an SQE error when I try to upload them to my photo archive to share from there - any clues?

[Edited on 22/11/18 by rufus357]

On your flickr page click the share button at bottom right that will bring up a share popup click BBcode and copy the https in the center then put it on your post, check the photo size in the drop down box in the pop up as if you put original it may be too big.

rufus357 - 23/11/18 at 12:51 PM

Untitled[ /url] by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/16191855@N07/]alastairandrachel, on Flickr

That works thanks!

Bluemoon - 23/11/18 at 01:58 PM

Looks ideal Good luck with it!