Board logo

Stupid locknut question
jps - 1/3/19 at 08:39 AM

Sorry this is probably a really silly question - but I will ask it anyway.

On my rear suspension I have a top wishbone/upright join that is made as T shape - an m20 threaded section bolts into an m20 thread in the wishbone (no insert- it's a fixed part of the wishbone) and a polybushed bracket attached onto the upright.

I want to put a locknut against the m20 thread to stop any slop from the thread - so expect to use an m20 halfnut. But will it still 'lock' if I put a washer between the wishbone and the nut - just to stop the halfnut scuffing off the end of the threaded section in the wishbone?
OR
Do i need a washer and then two halfnuts - so the wishbone doesn't scuff and the two halfnuts tighten against each other to provide the 'lock'?

rusty nuts - 1/3/19 at 08:49 AM

Think I would use 2 myself , that’s how mainstream manufacturers would do it

40inches - 1/3/19 at 09:07 AM

I have a bag of M20 Nylock nuts if you want one?
Description
Description

jps - 1/3/19 at 09:19 AM

quote:
Originally posted by 40inches
I have a bag of M20 Nylock nuts if you want one?
Description
Description

Thanks for the offer - i'll check there's enough space and will pm if there is!

nick205 - 1/3/19 at 09:21 AM

MK supplied 2 nuts for this on the MK Indy i built...

mcerd1 - 1/3/19 at 10:38 AM

quote:
Originally posted by jps
the two halfnuts tighten against each other to provide the 'lock'?

^^ yes nuts really need to lock against each other - but half nuts are not structural and can't be used without a full nut

sounds like a Nylock is your answer though - thats what most suspension bolts seem to be anyway
just make sure you have enough length to get a min of 1 full thread sticking out

alternatively you could use lockwire or wedge type lock washers ( linky ) might work - but both have to be done a very specific way or they don't work....

[Edited on 1/3/2019 by mcerd1]

coyoteboy - 1/3/19 at 02:04 PM

What about a locknut and a nordloc washer?

Bluemoon - 1/3/19 at 02:14 PM

quote:
Originally posted by nick205
MK supplied 2 nuts for this on the MK Indy i built...

As this but added wire lock to one of them, so they are captive.... I don't like the idea of them coming loose

Slimy38 - 1/3/19 at 10:01 PM

quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
What about a locknut and a nordloc washer?

I do like their promotional video;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKwWu2w1gGk

It definitely highlights why Nylocs are (second) preferred. And while Nordlock come out on top, nylocs are far cheaper.

[Edited on 1/3/19 by Slimy38]