Board logo

HELP WHIT BUILDING A LOCOST CAR
Kamikza - 7/2/06 at 09:12 AM

HELP WHIT BUILDING A LOCOST CAR AND IT WOULD LOOK LIKE THIS Rescued attachment ucar2.jpg
Rescued attachment ucar2.jpg

muzchap - 7/2/06 at 09:22 AM

Er.. you really want to build that :-)

Seriously... check out some of the cars on the archives.

People have built them for a couple of grand and they knock the socks off that! :p

M

[Edited on 7/2/06 by muzchap]

Kamikza - 7/2/06 at 09:57 AM

Yes retro kicks ass and it looks cool like some thing out sf space shutle star trek Rescued attachment ucar1.jpg
Rescued attachment ucar1.jpg

emsfactory - 7/2/06 at 10:26 AM

quote:
looks cool like some thing out sf space shutle star trek

Well there you go. To each his own. Make it so.

zxrlocost - 7/2/06 at 10:31 AM

mate I know we all have different things we like

but people will laugh at you in that

if you want retro buy a VW campervan

skodaman - 7/2/06 at 10:46 AM

Looks like the back end of a Clan Crusader. Yes you need help.

mookaloid - 7/2/06 at 10:49 AM

It seems to be powered by a lawn mower engine........ Rescued attachment untitled.JPG
Rescued attachment untitled.JPG

Kamikza - 7/2/06 at 10:53 AM

no the engene is DIESEL 16 hp From an generator

dave1888 - 7/2/06 at 11:25 AM

It looks a bit like a four wheeled Bond Bug.

Kamikza - 7/2/06 at 11:50 AM

What is the bond bug i dont get it

mookaloid - 7/2/06 at 12:44 PM

Bond bug: Rescued attachment bondbug00.jpg
Rescued attachment bondbug00.jpg

Hellfire - 7/2/06 at 12:45 PM

This is a bond bug. A similar shaped three wheel version to the picture you've posted.

Image deleted by owner

Whilst it may not be to everyones taste, I'm sure that lots of people on here would be more than willing to try and answer any questions you may have.

clbarclay - 7/2/06 at 01:11 PM

Those cars may look odd, but if you stick something like a bike engine in the back then who cares?

Answer: the bloke you just left standing at the lights.

zxrlocost - 7/2/06 at 01:30 PM

and it would probably wheelie

David Jenkins - 7/2/06 at 01:36 PM

Somebody made a dragster out of one, way back (70s?). They did wimp out and fit 2 wheels at the front, though.

DJ

FOUND IT!

[Edited on 7/2/06 by David Jenkins]

Mike R-F - 7/2/06 at 02:06 PM

Great place for the fuel tank! And is that bungee cord holding it on? Ahhh, the 70's, such a carefree time.

David Jenkins - 7/2/06 at 02:11 PM

Well, there's shouldn't be anything in front to squash the fuel tank on a drag strip - if you get as far as the barriers then a squashed fuel tank is just one of your worries!

David

PS: If you want to be really scared, ask Jon Beedle to post a picture of his Bug chassis - makes a Locost look like a truck chassis!

[Edited on 7/2/06 by David Jenkins]

froggy - 7/2/06 at 02:15 PM

there was a turbo busa engined bug at a rwyb last year that did a 10.9 quarter mile

chrisg - 7/2/06 at 07:04 PM

Try this

Riley Urba car

It seems to be one 'o them.

You can buy the plans.

cheers

chris

phillippe - 7/2/06 at 07:25 PM

Kamikza - 7/2/06 at 08:14 PM

Firs of all tanks for the help from all of you i knove you can oder the plans but for 75 usd and i dont have a kredit card life sucks vhen your a student .Tanks for sowing mi what is a bond bug great help.But does any bodey hawe any plans for suspension for some thing like this?? And is it Hard to make a fiber body and is it solid is it Safe?? Tanks again for all yours help

Confused but excited. - 8/2/06 at 08:25 PM

If you go to thr Riley link that 'chrisg' suggested, you will find information about building fibreglass bodies using foam insulation as the plug and then laminating it with matt and resin.
Good luck!

Simon - 8/2/06 at 11:03 PM

"Because its minimal curb weight, the small 12 kW (16 hp) engine still gives it a power-to-weight ratio about equal to that of the early VW Beetle"

And that's something to be proud of???????

ATB

Simon

Kamikza - 9/2/06 at 05:47 PM

Im now waiting for the engen it is an old generator diesel engen whit amaizing 25 hp it was mede in 1996 by a company thad made tanks during the war and they make traktors now it is cald TOMO VINKOVIC so aksuali it is a tractors engen it is WWEEERRYYY cheap ,but will it be to laim and slow and wil it be to slow it got onli 3.500 rpms???

blueshift - 10/2/06 at 06:05 PM

so that's what a nutter looks like

Kamikza - 10/2/06 at 10:08 PM

this is prety much it ? Rescued attachment diesel_engine-1.jpg
Rescued attachment diesel_engine-1.jpg

Peteff - 10/2/06 at 10:59 PM

they use a similar type engine. I think theirs' is a Kubota diesel same as is used to power refigerator units on lorries. They don't show any pictures with people in them but these cars are tiny two seaters.
http://www.thorpe-morieux.org.uk/aixam.htm

Kamikza - 11/2/06 at 07:26 AM

Yes tanks but does somebody have plans for a simple suspension

flak monkey - 11/2/06 at 08:49 AM

What sort of suspension do you want? How much engineering knowledge have you got? Can you weld properly?

All make a large difference as to what sort of suspension to use as some designs need a lot more design work and fabrication than others.

If you want somthing pre-made then maybe the suspension from an old mini would be suitable, very simple and suits a light car, can be converted to coil overs quite easily as well. Only downside being that its a front wheel drive car.

Your first problem is finding a rear wheel drive (I assume thats what you want) donor, that you can take the hubs from, once you have decided on that, you can decide what sort of suspension to use.

David

Kamikza - 11/2/06 at 03:58 PM

Tanks i am tinkin taking a suspension of a fiat 126 .We dont have minis if you faind it is wery ekspensive on the odther hand 126 is under 200 eur so i will buy that and go from that yet tanks ill post my progres on the forum and yes i can weld