Board logo

04 golf tdi cambelt
steve m - 7/4/09 at 08:36 PM

has any one done a cambelt change on a VW golf 1.9 tdi
if so is it straight forward or apita ??
as girl at work has been quoted £350 by VW, and this sounds an awfull lot

steve

jonesier1 - 7/4/09 at 08:45 PM

If thats the pd engine that is also used in ford galaxy which i think it is, they arnt too bad to do although there is a special little toothed tool to slot onto the crankshaft gear wheel with an arrow to align it and a 6mm drill bit will do the cam. the belt is a tight fit and a pair of bent long nose plyiers will be need to adjust the tensioner if you dont have....yes a special right angled adjusting tool.

westf27 - 7/4/09 at 08:49 PM

cant be that bad if thats what they charge.£350 goes nowhere at a main dealer

Danozeman - 7/4/09 at 09:01 PM

They wanted that to put a belt on my passat tdi. I did it myself in an hour. 50 quid for a belt kit.

Local garages not dealers normally do them for alot less than that.

IIRC there is an engine mounting throught the middle on the golfs. Not a hard job i dont think but you do need special tools to lock the timing.

tomgregory2000 - 7/4/09 at 09:05 PM

You MUST get the water pump changed at the same time!!!!!!!!!

The impeller has a problem of parting from the shaft and then the engine over heats so get it changed, i speak from experiance, its not fun limping home on the motorway with a fecked waterpump

Ketchup - 8/4/09 at 11:39 AM

100% agree the waterpump must be changed, i wont change a cambelt on any VAG engine for a customer here without doing the pump at the same time, an alarming 8 out of 10 that i do have visable cracks on the impellers where the shaft goes through, and i always replace them the the metal ones and not the main dealer, they will still supply the resin type