Board logo

Disposing of waste tyres (lots)
minordelay - 14/5/09 at 02:12 PM

Hi

I've accumulated a quantity of scrap tyres from cars I've scrapped at the college.
Anyone know a company that will happily take them away for free. I know I can sneak them through the local tip/recycling centre but that will take too long.

Thanks guys

Nigel

MK chippy - 14/5/09 at 02:14 PM

Hows about giving them to a farmer near you? they always seem to use them for weighting down tarps etc

tegwin - 14/5/09 at 02:22 PM

I dont think you can even take them to your local recycling centre... mine refused to take a pair of tyres

coozer - 14/5/09 at 02:23 PM

Pile them up in the yard and set fire to them.

blakep82 - 14/5/09 at 02:27 PM

when i got new tyres on my car i got charges something very small for environmental disposal.

will your local tyre place take them?

speedyxjs - 14/5/09 at 02:33 PM

If you find your local tyre place (kwik fit etc), go there at night and just put it with the rest of theirs.

tomgregory2000 - 14/5/09 at 02:34 PM

Find a skip and chuck them in it

contaminated - 14/5/09 at 02:35 PM

Tyres are banned from landfill disposal under the Landfill Directive - hence the problem. Any decent waste management company will come up with an alternative for you. Have you got no local go-kart tracks or race circuits?

adithorp - 14/5/09 at 03:40 PM

Be aware that scrap tyres are controlled waste and as such you need a "waste carrier" licence to carry/move them. Not a problem for a private individual to move a couple but "...tyres from cars I've scrapped at the college..." brings you under the law. As a producer of waste you also need a "waste producer" licence to store them on site. There's also a maximum you can store legally.

adrian

deezee - 14/5/09 at 03:55 PM

When I had to get rid of 4 tyres, I cut them up with a jig saw. Once in strips, they are pretty small. So i popped each tyre in a supermarket bag and put them in my wheelie bin.

kipper - 14/5/09 at 04:06 PM

As the title really, there is a depot on the airfield where I work and dozens of lorries a day come here to tip
If you Google tyre recycling there are lots of carriers.
Denis.

Peteff - 14/5/09 at 04:51 PM

Nobody will take them away for free though, my local fitter charges £1 for disposal on top of fitting charge.

madrallysport - 14/5/09 at 05:29 PM

As said before local farmers will take them of you

Front Row Joe - 14/5/09 at 06:10 PM

Knowing a couple of farmers (in Devon) I can tell you that most will laugh at you if you try and offer them tyres. They are in the same boat as everyone else and want rid of the ones they have let alone acquiring more! My father in law has considered just about every option to get rid of them. We came to the conclusion that you either have to pay to have them removed or deposit them 4 at a time at the local recycling centre!!

Simon - 14/5/09 at 06:49 PM

I agree with setting light to them, it's where you do it that counts.

I'd suggest the lobby of the H of P, to get all the slimy shites out on the street ready to be lined up!

ATB

Simon

minordelay - 14/5/09 at 11:19 PM

Wow, some good answers there. We have a tyre recyclers nearby but I know that will cost. Being located in a densely populated area there's sure to be lots of others looking to offload tyres too!!!

A fire is obviously out of the question but they need to go more than ever now before we end up getting a licence.

Oh for a simple solution

liam.mccaffrey - 15/5/09 at 12:20 AM

when i lived in the states, i asked the bin men about putting stuff like this in our wheelie bins.

His answer was, and I quote "if it fits in the wheelie bin we'll take it"

over the next 6 weeks i disposed of an entire mazda mx5 shell in wheelie bin sized pieces, wheels/tyres included

[Edited on 15/5/09 by liam.mccaffrey]

sickbag - 15/5/09 at 01:44 PM

quote:
Originally posted by minordelay
Wow, some good answers there. We have a tyre recyclers nearby but I know that will cost. Being located in a densely populated area there's sure to be lots of others looking to offload tyres too!!!

A fire is obviously out of the question but they need to go more than ever now before we end up getting a licence.

Oh for a simple solution

Have you got a council estate nearby? There's bound to be a car fire on there that you could add your tyres to.

DarrenW - 15/5/09 at 02:48 PM

How many are lots? i bet there are a few of you there with transport that could take a couple at a time and dispose of at local council tip.

Other than that get a number out of yellow pages and pay to get rid of them. Probs no other sensible options.

minordelay - 15/5/09 at 05:19 PM

The council tip is looking like the only option really. To pay to have them removed is possible just a little long winded and would involve estimates(definately), contracts (probably) and long waits for multiple signatures. Thats why I'm looking for the easy option.

I've spent over two years waiting to get a set of corner weight gauges signed off.

Out with the jigsaw I think.