Board logo

Biker gets 12 months for speeding
Andy W - 19/7/09 at 11:12 AM

Hi

Just wondered what peoples thoughts are on this
http://www.thisishullandeastriding.co.uk/news/Biker-leads-police-139mph-chase/article-1176606-detail/article.html

Some of the comments posted are worth a read

Andy

big_wasa - 19/7/09 at 11:20 AM

Scary as I want another bike but dare not.

To loose everything for doing just over a ton is madness.

UncleFista - 19/7/09 at 11:31 AM

Silly, but WTF was the unmarked police bike doing, following at the same speed on a bike that no doubt isn't as suitable for doing those speeds without pulling him at the first available opportunity ?

If it was dangerous for the bloke, it's surely just as dangerous for the police biker ?

ReMan - 19/7/09 at 11:31 AM

Undoubtably guilty (whatever the exact speet he hit, it was over the limit) but also overly harsh punishment

handyandy - 19/7/09 at 11:33 AM

i remember the police officer that was caught doing approx 132mph, said he was testing the cars capabilities & got away with it.

one rule for them, another rule for the rest of us,

i,m not saying the biker should have got away without being punished but then so the police driver as above should have been punished too.

its a joke

andy

scottc - 19/7/09 at 11:50 AM

quote:
Article said:
PC Smith, who has been an advanced motorcyclist with Humberside Police for the past eight years, said: "I had to increase my speed and my level of risk in order to keep up with Saxby.
"I was trying to operate video equipment, to see what was happening on the road and to talk on the radio.

And which of the two were more dangerous? the guy speeding on the bike, or the cop, speeding, videoing and using his radio??

[Edited on 19/7/09 by scottc]

gaz_gaz - 19/7/09 at 11:54 AM

the punishment is very very harsh imo but sadly its the way things have gone in the last couple of years,

back in 2003 i was caught undertaking an unmarked trafficcar at 102mph on the M1

The traffic car didnt pull me straight away but instead followed me from junction 18 to junction 23 in which time i managed to record a top speed of 141mph,

i went to court for Dangerous Driving but was offered a plea bargain of Careless Driving which i accepted and got a 2month ban , £420 fine and £80 court costs.

the way things are today i would fully expect a jail term, atleast a year ban and an extended re-test at the end of it,

[Edited on 19/7/09 by gaz_gaz]

dave107 - 19/7/09 at 12:09 PM

One up for the common man.

I had a car in front of me suddenly swing into the side of the road then come back across the road an turn round in frony of me taking the right hand side if my car off, just before it ending up in court i got a letter from the driver telling me he was an traffic cop with avanced police driver training i think he told me this to scare me of no luck i still took him to court and i won.

gaz_gaz - 19/7/09 at 12:11 PM

MOTO GP IS ON BBC2 NOW

scootz - 19/7/09 at 12:32 PM

Sounds like a perfectly reasonable sentence to me. One less fanny for me and mine to worry about whilst going about our business on the highways!

Just a pity that there's not an accepted min / max 'tarrif' for crimes / offences.

Up to 12 months for riding like a clown.
3+ years for assault (however minimal
Death for Murder / Rape, etc.
Unimaginable Torture and then Death for Offences against Children.

You get my drift... !

It's about time that society took a few steps backwards and we re-acquainted ourselves with the basic aspects of RESPECT!

Steve G - 19/7/09 at 12:43 PM

12 months for that - but yet we have proper career criminals getting a slap on the wrist for burglary, assault etc. This country is a complete joke!!

alistairolsen - 19/7/09 at 12:55 PM

he did the crime and deserved some time, but jail and 4 years is harsh, cos whove killed people dont get a lot more. Seems they werent punishing him for what he did, but what 'could' have happened as a result.

I agree on the police bike, Im aware they have a dispensation and get advanced training, but to claim its safe to do 140 while on the radio and suchlike is nonsense. How the police in scotland can drive and use a radio, yet mobile phone use is illegal is also beyond me. The advanced driver training is a bleeping joke as well, a scandinavian driving test is tougher.

having been in a similar situation and got a ban for DD where there was no speeding and no accident, Ill concur with the thoughts on the progression of sentencing in this country and leave you with the thoughts of my lawyer:

"This is the way things are going and there for the grace of God go we"

oldtimer - 19/7/09 at 12:56 PM

!2 months prison does seem very harsh for what was, in this case, a victimless crime. However, almost nobody can ride/drive at those speeds on the public highway and never have an accident at some time, and that accident may involve innocent bystanders. A seriously long ban may have been a kinder sentance. It always amazes me when people driving without a licence are banned from driving. The couts do not always seem to deal logically with offenders.

02GF74 - 19/7/09 at 01:03 PM

quote:
David Saxby in a "shocking" piece of riding on the A166 between Wetwang and Fridaythorpe, near Driffield.

WTF??? not a single car on his side of the road as far as I could see.

handyandy - 19/7/09 at 01:08 PM

quote:
Originally posted by scootz
Sounds like a perfectly reasonable sentence to me. One less fanny for me and mine to worry about whilst going about our business on the highways!

Just a pity that there's not an accepted min / max 'tarrif' for crimes / offences.

Up to 12 months for riding like a clown.
3+ years for assault (however minimal
Death for Murder / Rape, etc.
Unimaginable Torture and then Death for Offences against Children.

You get my drift... !

It's about time that society took a few steps backwards and we re-acquainted ourselves with the basic aspects of RESPECT!

i agree with you on the things you say but it should also be the same for any police officers who commit crimes, & not get away with it as has happened on lots of occasions,
we,re all human & all make mistakes/errors of misjudgement etc & should ALL be treated as equals when it comes to the punishment of the crime.

andy

JoelP - 19/7/09 at 01:08 PM

i think it would be acceptable to not see a bike approaching at 140mph on a road limited to 60. So people are likely to pull out on him. And at that speed, the bike would also kill the car driver.

So, IMHO, he was also risking other peoples lives. So f**k him.

scootz - 19/7/09 at 01:48 PM

Agree entirely Handy-Andy.

We have a legal system whereby if a PO commits an offence his / her job title immediately adds an 'aggravation' to the wording of the charge and, if found guilty, also to the sentence.

Not sure why the debate has changed to coppers doing wrong... maybe I missed it, but was this loony a PO?

handyandy - 19/7/09 at 01:58 PM

quote:
Originally posted by scootz
Agree entirely Handy-Andy.

We have a legal system whereby if a PO commits an offence his / her job title immediately adds an 'aggravation' to the wording of the charge and, if found guilty, also to the sentence.

Not sure why the debate has changed to coppers doing wrong... maybe I missed it, but was this loony a PO?

my apologies for taking the thread off its core subject, the idiot on the bike.

being a biker myself, i cannot defend a rider who rides like this on a public highway , my point was basically..........

no person should be beyond the law,s that we all have to live by, police officer or joe public.

sorry for going off on a tangent

andy

chrisg - 19/7/09 at 02:22 PM

It's interesting, I wouldn't defend the rider in this case, he's obviously an idiot but He's got twelve months for what in essence is the possibility of harm his actions might have caused.

A neighbour of mine lost the sight in one eye after he was punched in a fight, the guy who did it got 200 hours community service.

This sort of thing erodes public confidence in justice.

Cheers

Chris

Wadders - 19/7/09 at 02:32 PM

very harsh imho, my pal got done in north yorkshire by an unmarked busa last week.
With official speed recorded up to 94 in a 60 zone
(although at times he had been doing well over 110) The bike cop and two colleagues in an unmarked car reviewed the footage, and complimented my mate on his riding, (obviously apart from the speeding bit)
Resulting in a roadside bollocking and the choice to pay £85 and attend a speed awareness course, or go to court. he jumped at the first option.
That's the problem with the law, nothing is set in stone.

Al.

omega 24 v6 - 19/7/09 at 02:35 PM

The guy was wrong but I'm with chris G on this one. He has indeed been penalized for what MAY have happenned.
As usuall the motorists pays for the full amount of his actions where other more serious AND ACTUALLY HAPPENED crimes/criminlas get off relatively easy.
It's a case of
" you're a responsible hard working person who has money and SHOULD realise your actions have consequences" so we'll hit you hard
AND
" your an individual of dubious upbringings and no moral values so we'll give you a second chance/third/fourth" etc etc and a slap on the wrist.

JoelP - 19/7/09 at 03:13 PM

quote:
Originally posted by omega 24 v6
The guy was wrong but I'm with chris G on this one. He has indeed been penalized for what MAY have happenned.
As usuall the motorists pays for the full amount of his actions where other more serious AND ACTUALLY HAPPENED crimes/criminlas get off relatively easy.
It's a case of
" you're a responsible hard working person who has money and SHOULD realise your actions have consequences" so we'll hit you hard
AND
" your an individual of dubious upbringings and no moral values so we'll give you a second chance/third/fourth" etc etc and a slap on the wrist.

id agree with you there, touch harsh on the biker but far too lenient on the scumbags who commit crime daily.

jlparsons - 19/7/09 at 03:35 PM

I think it was a fair cop, a just sentence and I don't think the officer did anything wrong at all. I doubt he had the power on his bike (probably a bmw?) to catch him up and pull him over anyway, he did well just to stay with him enough to get him on camera to prosecute him.

Wheels244 - 19/7/09 at 04:00 PM

Just remember everyone - don't go over ANY speed limit in your light cars with high power to weight ratios - especially those of us with BECs !!!!!

Some hypocritical statements being made on all sorts of forums about this one.

Has everyone defending this sentence never been over the speed limit ? If you say yes, I don't believe you.

I'm very familiar with that road from my biking days ( I only do trackdays on the bike now ). It is a fast road in good condition which is why attracts the bikes - it is patrolled by a maroon Honda Blackbird might have been replaced by now ) - with no markings - hell of a deterent !!!

Was he guilty - Yes
Should he be punished - Definately
Should he go to prison for 1 year - don't be so bl**dy stupid !!

The police officer was doing was doing 139mph NOT the rider - totally legitimate for the police to do so, but the FACTS should be reported not headline grabbing figures.

Macbeast - 19/7/09 at 06:57 PM

This biker got eternity, not 12 months.

Image deleted by owner
As did the car driver and passenger.

[Edited on 19/7/09 by Macbeast]

Ninehigh - 19/7/09 at 07:28 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Wheels244
Has everyone defending this sentence never been over the speed limit ? If you say yes, I don't believe you.

Was he guilty - Yes

The police officer was doing was doing 139mph NOT the rider - totally legitimate for the police to do so, but the FACTS should be reported not headline grabbing figures.

Ok first off I have done 128mph on the motorway, and it would have been faster but that was as fast as the car would go
In my defence however the motorway was deserted and I saw one wagon for the entire stretch.

If you're gonna get prison for driving like a tit then we'd better clear an area the size of scotland to house all the new prisoners..

Finally facts don't sell newspapers, BS does

scootz - 19/7/09 at 07:41 PM

Pretty sure that pic with the 'merged' VW and RVF400 was a 'manually put together' job at a Swedish Road Safety Exhibition.

Having said that, I've seen similar 'real' accidents and one or 2 worse!

Strange things accidents... you can walk up to a scene of Armageddon and find that all occupants are completely unharmed. Next day, a fairly innoculous bump and there's a dead person(s) somewhere nearby.

Remember a Vauxhall that hit a tree at speed and split in half 'length-ways'. i.e. the opposite of the Audi earlier in the thread. Unfortunately, the halfway split was not exactly spot on... there was a leaning more towards the drivers side. That was a particularly long and unpleasant night. Not much fun searching for and scraping up bodyparts over a 100 metre stretch of vergeside under floodlights. Pretty sure we didn't find them all but did the best we could (and 8 years later no-ones turned anything else up).

Anyway... onto happier things - Top Gears on!

Peteff - 19/7/09 at 08:19 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Wheels244
Was he guilty - Yes

Sorry mate you answer is inherently flawed by this. If you use a spell checker it will tell you the word should be defiantly. This is also wrong

Stott - 19/7/09 at 08:37 PM

ridiculous punishment IMHO, hardly any traffic about or junctions, clearly the guy can ride, wht's the big deal?

If he'd have hit and killed someone he'd probably have got community service, a 6 month ban and a £50 fine and everyone would be on here whining about how leniant his sentance was

EVERYONE speeds, or they're a liar, and most of us motorsport ethusiasts have been the wrong side of 170mph on the public highways (driver or passenger) and all it takes is one cop with a camera following you down that deserted A road at 4am and your in clink serving double the time that some crack head who just stabbed a gran is?!?!?!?!?!?!

WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

aerosam - 19/7/09 at 09:08 PM

Say what you like about the rights and wrongs of the biker or the cop.

There can be NO EXCUSE for doing those sorts of speeds on a public highway at ANY time.

If you want to drive a car, ride a bike, hang on to a rocket propelled donkey or get a piggyback from Usain Bolt at those speeds then go ahead and do it. But please use some common sense and do it where you aren't going to endanger other people's lives. Use a racetrack.

It's all well and good saying that empty roads are ok to speed on - you cant EVER be certain of what's around the bend on public roads, or what other road users are going to do.

It's just common sense.