Board logo

Anything else to look at - tintop problem
novacaine - 28/7/09 at 09:17 PM

Hi all,

I'm almost certain that my punto needs a new starter but I thought I should pick someones brain to see if it could be anything else

When I turn the key I can hear a clicking noise and nothing else

Shall I look at anything else or should I just go out and buy a new starter?

Cheers

Matt

tjoh84 - 28/7/09 at 09:22 PM

low batt can do that

adithorp - 28/7/09 at 09:27 PM

Single click or repeated rapid clicks?

Single click is probably starter but could be poor main feed or earth. Solenoid operates (click) but main motor fails to operate.

Multiple is more likely to be battery. Every thing else uses a lot less current than the starter so will appear OK, but not enough power to turn the engine. Voltage drop causes the solenoid to drop out then back in, hence clicking.

adrian

LBMEFM - 28/7/09 at 09:27 PM

Try using jumper leads from another car, if starts OK then it maybe the battery, also check all connections including engine earth lead and battery terminals, these will all cause these symptons. Barry

james h - 28/7/09 at 11:30 PM

Get some jump leads on, as said above. My MK made a nasty noise from the started solenoid, and using the jump leads made me realise the battery was the problem.

maartenromijn - 29/7/09 at 06:02 AM

If the above doesn't work, try hitting a hammer gently on the starter. I have heard this sometimes helps to get the engine running. Whether it is the starter solenoid or the bendix getting loose, I don't know.

[Edited on 29/7/09 by maartenromijn]