Board logo

Shooting stars,
Jon Ison - 12/8/09 at 06:55 PM

looks a tad overcast cloudy here, whats the chances ?

theconrodkid - 12/8/09 at 07:22 PM

dunno about the weather affecting things,we are shooting chavs and pikies as normal down here

adithorp - 12/8/09 at 08:10 PM

Are Vic and Bob back?

adrian

David Jenkins - 12/8/09 at 09:36 PM

Just stood outside for 15 minutes - saw 2 meteorites, and one satellite! (yes, you can see satellites, if you look in the right place at the right time... and you know what you're looking for!)

Then I realised that gnats/mozzies/midges were having a late supper on my arms, so I went indoors again...

mistergrumpy - 12/8/09 at 09:43 PM

I went outside and got an eye socket full of rain Too cloudy to see owt

blakep82 - 13/8/09 at 12:54 AM

quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
yes, you can see satellites, if you look in the right place at the right time... and you know what you're looking for!

what do you look for? and how do you find out where to look? i want to see one

907 - 13/8/09 at 06:18 AM

quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
quote:
yes, you can see satellites, if you look in the right place at the right time... and you know what you're looking for!

what do you look for? and how do you find out where to look? i want to see one

Cloudy here too.

Blake, This is a good site. http://www.heavens-above.com/

It gives the ISS position, satellites, and the "Whole Sky Chart" is ace.

If you put in your lat & long it gives a view from your location

With sky maps east & west are reversed as the map is intended to be held above your head.

As a member of the SAS I'm into this sort of thing.

Cheers
Paul G

p.s. SAS = Stour Astronomical Society

David Jenkins - 13/8/09 at 06:35 AM

Yes - that's a great site - in particular, look at the link for 'Iridium Flares' - these are the flashes caused by sunlight reflecting off a set of shiny satellites. You can see them about an hour after sunset and very early in the morning before sunrise (never bothered to look for them!)

Put in your latitude and longitude and it will list the dates and times when one will pass over nearby. The brightness value is in reverse - the more negative the number, the brighter the flash.

You can also get times and coordinates for when the space station goes over.

David Jenkins - 13/8/09 at 11:36 AM

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/science-%26-technology/northern-folk-terrified-by-angry-sky-magic-200908131978/

trogdor - 13/8/09 at 04:18 PM

Shooting stars and satellites are quite common, you need to be somewhere pretty dark tho.

If its dark you can see a shooting star every few mins or so. Satellites can be seen as moving stars that cross over the sky over the course of about 5-10mins.

Don't see them too often as its not dark enough here

The lakes or Wales is always good tho!

David Jenkins - 13/8/09 at 05:57 PM

I'm off to see my brother & family in a few weeks - they live in a house waaay out in the Scottish countryside, halfway between Inverness and Nairn. Hardly any light pollution to be seen in the sky.

And he's recently bought a 'king big reflector telescope...

James - 14/8/09 at 06:59 AM

Spent about 90mins star gazing last night from a friend's place 'in the country'. Counted 12 meterorites and about 8 satellites.

Great fun.

Cheers,
James

wilkingj - 14/8/09 at 08:01 AM

We Radio Hams bounce our signals off the ionised trails these meteroites leave behind.
We play with digital short burst data modes.

We dont need to be able to see them to enjoy them!

It was the Perseid meteor shower, and it happens every year when the world and the Meteor's orbit pass by each other.

Yay.. all good fun, and if you see them with the naked eye, then thats nice too.

Fozzie - 19/8/09 at 04:47 AM

quote:
I'm off to see my brother & family in a few weeks - they live in a house waaay out in the Scottish countryside, halfway between Inverness and Nairn. Hardly any light pollution to be seen in the sky.

ooOoo I have missed my 'fix' of Nairn this year ....and the Highland Games

I believe they have opened a new Observatory near/in Culloden. A 'must do' next time we go.....

Have fun!
Fozzie

David Jenkins - 19/8/09 at 08:00 AM

I shall try my best!

The best bit is, being September, most of the kids will have gone back to school, many tourists will have gone home, and all the shops & tourist sites will be 'relaxed'.

Fozzie - 19/8/09 at 08:52 AM

The kids holidays are different up there....they break up earlier for the summer holidays, and have already gone back.......but I know what you mean by the blimmin tourists!

Fozzie

blakep82 - 19/8/09 at 12:31 PM

quote:
Originally posted by wilkingj
We Radio Hams bounce our signals off the ionised trails these meteroites leave behind.
We play with digital short burst data modes.

sounds interesting! what does it sound like? or have you got any recordings?

Amphlett - 19/8/09 at 02:56 PM

quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
Are Vic and Bob back?

adrian

Next Wednesday evening, new series! :-D

Si.

blakep82 - 19/8/09 at 02:58 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Amphlett
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
Are Vic and Bob back?

adrian

Next Wednesday evening, new series! :-D

Si.

really?! great! i was disappointed they only did 1 last time it was on

David Jenkins - 11/9/09 at 09:30 PM

quote:

Well, I had a chance to use a 14" super-dooper computer-controlled telescope in a posh observatory run by the local astronomical society, or my brother's 12" reflector in his back garden - and every evening was clouded over while I was there...