Board logo

Any shooters on here?
flak monkey - 16/8/09 at 07:04 PM

Another of my old hobbies which I am starting to get back into, now having a nice big garden in which to practice.

Just bought myself a new rifle, a .22 Air Arms TX200HC (hunter carbine). Those who know anything about air rifles will know of Air Arms without a doubt....

Once I am back in practice again I might go back to hunting again, but at the moment I am only on tin cans in the garden.

David

mookaloid - 16/8/09 at 07:05 PM

speedyxjs - 16/8/09 at 07:06 PM

Nice!

iscmatt - 16/8/09 at 07:08 PM

What is the scope like? what scope is it? does it come with the gun? the scopes i have had are always useless and become inaccurate very quickly

tomgregory2000 - 16/8/09 at 07:09 PM

thats beautifull
I only had enough money to get myself a BSA lightning XL

one of me

scootz - 16/8/09 at 07:12 PM

Used to get paid to do it... Glock 17 pistols and H&K MP5 carbines were the tools of the trade.

Best job in the world... alas no more as in mid-30's and can barely walk 10 metres without a stick!

big_wasa - 16/8/09 at 07:13 PM

Ive got a Wbley Excel carbine but I dont get to use it due to living next to a primary school

If some one wants one £50

Jasongray5 - 16/8/09 at 07:13 PM

Ohh, very nice!
What do you intend to kill with that bad boy? Ive always fancied a nice air-rifle, but to be honest theres not alot of point as I use a .22 rimfire with sub-sonics for most "yard" vermin controll

philw - 16/8/09 at 07:17 PM

Very nice, i used to shoot until some f***** nicked mine a grands worth, so if anyone knows the wearabouts of ED who used to work at Dulford automotive in Devon let me know please.

flak monkey - 16/8/09 at 07:18 PM

quote:
Originally posted by iscmatt
What is the scope like? what scope is it? does it come with the gun? the scopes i have had are always useless and become inaccurate very quickly

The scope is a Hawke 3-9 x 50 Mildot. Its spring rated so should take the recoil. This is what you need to look for on any scope for a springer. The TX200 is very well tuned though and the recoil is minimal.

The only problems I have heard of is people breaking spring rated scopes on FAC rifles, not std ones.

The TX200 is a beautiful rifle, brilliantly well made, and a great advert for British engineering (albeit with a lothar walther barrel). Heavy though at 8.5lbs plus scope...

The lightenings are good lightweight rifles. I had a look at some, but wanted something a bit different this time.

I used ot have a Theoben Sirocco2000 but sold it a few years ago now.

flak monkey - 16/8/09 at 07:21 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Jasongray5
Ohh, very nice!
What do you intend to kill with that bad boy? Ive always fancied a nice air-rifle, but to be honest theres not alot of point as I use a .22 rimfire with sub-sonics for most "yard" vermin controll

Rimfire for vermin? Nutter Alright for some if you have a FAC, I can't get one I shouldnt think (cant justify it, and wouldnt be popular with the neighbours!)

It will mainly be for rats and rabbits, nothing more.

Need to get back in practice though, bit wobbly at the moment!

mr_pr - 16/8/09 at 07:21 PM

quote:
Originally posted by scootz
Used to get paid to do it... Glock 17 pistols and H&K MP5 carbines were the tools of the trade.

Best job in the world... alas no more as in mid-30's and can barely walk 10 metres without a stick!

now that sounds interesting...

fov - 16/8/09 at 07:26 PM

Very nice. I used to use a .177 for rats round the farms but upgraded to a very nice 8 shot PCP.
Brilliantly smooth for a springer.

Rimfire for vermin! I have a sledgehammer here if you would like a wallnut

fesycresy - 16/8/09 at 07:38 PM

Did you know, springers cause more damage to scopes than rim fires.

The TX 200 is a very accurate gun, did very, very well in Field Target.

Not an Air Arms fan myself, I had one of the first S300's that came off the production line, it ended up going back and was then hand fettled by one of their guys, I had the spec sheet to prove it too.

I've owned pretty much all the 'name' guns on offer, but ended up with a Rapid 7, I doubt there still isn't a better gun made today.

Enjoy, have a go at Hunter FT, that'll test you

blakep82 - 16/8/09 at 08:06 PM

quote:

ah, bank jobs was it?

BenB - 16/8/09 at 08:07 PM

I used to have a Baikal .177 open sights rifle. Exported out of Russia with a replacement spring which if you used it made it blooming powerful (if illegal)..... Never bothered with scopes but good for plinking paper targets....

Jasongray5 - 16/8/09 at 08:25 PM

quote:
Originally posted by fov
Rimfire for vermin! I have a sledgehammer here if you would like a wallnut

Think thats bad, a good friend of mine works for the forestry commision, uses his sako .308 for more or less everything, Makes a mess of a fox, but at least it doesnt suffer

scootz - 16/8/09 at 08:27 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mr_pr
quote:

now that sounds interesting...

Nah, not really... 5 discs popping out and buggering my spinal column / sciatic nerves as they did so. Monotonously painful, but certainly not interesting!

JUD - 16/8/09 at 08:27 PM

Mine below - Weihrauch HW100TK .22

Resurrected interest in airguns when I found my old HW80 in the garage during a clean out.

Went shooting this evening - I got nowt, but my 15 year old bagged his first rabbit.

Description
Description

Hammerhead - 16/8/09 at 08:30 PM

i'm looking for something like this:

liam.mccaffrey - 16/8/09 at 08:33 PM

I have a BSA Supersport Carbine .22 plenty of gun for me.

I don't really want to get into shooting as it could get really expensive like all my other hobbies......cycling, golf, rc helicopters, oh and building cars

scootz - 16/8/09 at 08:34 PM

quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
quote:

ah, bank jobs was it?

LOL...

I'd be leaving the pistol and carbine at home if that was my 'profession'. A sawn-off is still the weapon of choice when it comes to bank jobs!

paulf - 16/8/09 at 08:46 PM

Ive a fair collection of airguns.I used to shoot 6 yard belltarget and 10 metre paper targets in the local leagues until most clubs packed up.Ive got an Original 75 recoilless spring rifle as well as various others including a webley mk3 supertarget, a webley service rifle and a few pistols, including a couple of C02 ones that are fun but not very accurate or powerfull.
Paul

blakep82 - 16/8/09 at 08:48 PM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
quote:

ah, bank jobs was it?

LOL...

I'd be leaving the pistol and carbine at home if that was my 'profession'. A sawn-off is still the weapon of choice when it comes to bank jobs!

i know nothing about guns although gangsters seem to like glocks...

as for someone else posting something earlier about your post sounding interesting, i think he meant the job, not your back, which just sounds awful

what was the job?

JEPY - 16/8/09 at 09:17 PM

Yep, remember the Air Arms TX200 when it first came out. Used to go and covet it in Target Sports in Bolton.

Just re-found my Webley Omega since we're packing up the house. Good news is the new house has a decent size garden and access to farm land so hopefully get some hunting in.

Happy shootin

David Jenkins - 16/8/09 at 09:23 PM

I used to own a Parker-Hale No.4 target rifle - 7.62mm! The club I was in used to shoot at Bisley - the furthest I shot was on the 800yd (metre?) range.

Great fun, but just too much hassle these days...

nstrug - 16/8/09 at 09:44 PM

I have an Anschutz XIV .22 with a thumbhole stock for the bunnies - frighteningly accurate with a a Tasco 6-24x42 and Winchester subsonic hollowpoints. Lovely short carbine (even with the supressor), fully floating barrel, 10 round mag.

I also have an ancient and slightly ropey Lanber over-and-under 12 bore that I completely fail to hit woodies with.

Deer (roe and fallow) obviously require stronger medicine - a Mauser 98 in 7x64, unfortunately not mine (it's my uncle-in-law's) but an incredible accurate and effective rifle nontheless.

I'm not a fan of air rifles I must say, I think it's very hard to guarantee a clean kill with them and they always seem very heavy and unbalanced. However, if you can't get an FAC for whatever reason, it's better than throwing rocks

Nick

scootz - 16/8/09 at 09:48 PM

Gangsters like the 'bling' aspect of the Glock... it's just a piece of macho jewelry. For the rest of us it's just a very reliable and accurate tool (for a pistol).

I'll bet my ass though that very few of these 'gangsters' could hit a static torso-sized target at 20 metres using BOTH hands and taking as much time as they like!

I'd bet my house that they could never hit a similarly sized moving target at half that distance!

Pistol proficiency doesn't come easy - it takes a lot of time, hard bloody work, patience and a fair degree of natural ability. Some folk just have no hand / eye co-ordination.

I just hate it in the movies when you watch them shoot 'em up one handed, gun tilted to one side and the rounds firing in quick succession. It doesn't work that way!

A one-handed 'reactionary' shot will only be of use at a few metres distance. Beyond that and you will have to take a breath, scan your backdrop, set yourself up for the shot and squeeze the trigger progressively as a snap-pull will always fire high and wide.

You see the reality in the YouTube footage of what real gun-fights are like on the Police car dash-cams. Both shooters standing a few metres apart and blasting their pistols in panic - every shot missing! If one lands it's more by good fortune than skill!

The MP5 is a different ball-game altogether - with a laser sight you CANNOT miss at anything less than 50 metres... after that you've got to know what you're doing and be able to judge different round-movement factors more accurately.

Riflemen (Marksmen) are a different breed altogether... give these guys a 7.62 rifle and a decent scope and they'll knock a group of shots into a 10cm grouping at half a mile away!

I was a firearms team member in the UK, then went out to Bosnia for a few years and ran some training / firearms policy development for the civilian Police there (amongst other things).

Best pistol shot I ever saw was a Policeman from a small town in a Bosnian backwater... he was firing a CZ (nasty gun) at a static target at 20 meters and was barely pausing between shots. Shoot... return recoil movement... shoot!
Every one of them landed on target... amazing - he was just like a precision machine!

PS - I was being (or trying to be) tongue-in-cheek with the spinal injury reference. Been the blight of my life - loved being active and now I can barely walk any distance. Spent a week in hospital recently and was subjected to the delights of morphine and the horror of catheterization!

Consultants diagnosis was not particularly good, but I was in a Neurosurgery ward of 4 guys, none much older than myself, but all in a far worse state of affairs. The experience all put my situation into context and I took strength from focusing on the things I CAN still do instead of what I CANNOT do any longer!

Onwards and upwards!

scootz - 16/8/09 at 09:58 PM

Was thinking of applying for a civilian firearm license as now living on my in-laws farm and enjoy helping out with the vermin control. Semi-auto shotgun for the pigeons and a .22 for the bunnies. I'd never get a license though due to my disability and medication needs.

I do have a Weirauch HK77 .22 air rifle with 4x 40 scopes which is fine for bunnies at 40 yards.

Very nice gun - bit heavy and not cheap, but at the upper limit of the power-scale and very accurate! Beautifully made!

[img][/img]

David Jenkins - 16/8/09 at 10:02 PM

quote:

I just hate it in the movies when you watch them shoot 'em up one handed, gun tilted to one side and the rounds firing in quick succession. It doesn't work that way!

You see the reality in the YouTube footage of what real gun-fights are like on the Police car dash-cams. Both shooters standing a few metres apart and blasting their pistols in panic - every shot missing! If one lands it's more by good fortune than skill!

Notice that the shooters in movies don't blink either! They're either firing weak blanks or they're stone deaf - real shots HURT unprotected ears, and damage is almost instantaneous.

As for effective range - I once heard an experienced army instructor ask his audience what the effective range of a pistol in warfare was... after various guesses of 15 yards, 20 yards, 30 yards, whatever, he said that it was about 5 - 7 yards. When you're wet, cold, scared and there's an enemy charging at you, that's about as close that you could stand a reasonable chance of hitting the target. I used to shoot pistols at 25 yards - originally that distance was for duelling practice!

scootz - 16/8/09 at 10:17 PM

Took a while during training to stop flinching when guys to the left and right were firing just as you were lining up your shot... got used to it eventually though.

Used to love the FATS training system... imagine a wall sized PS3 screen hooked up to modified Glocks. Real time filmed scenarios would be run out on screen and computers would track where you were pointing your gun at every point of the scenario and measure your accuracy / reaction times.

Was a great piece of kit for identifying who the 'dreamers' were and who were 'switched-on'.

jambo - 16/8/09 at 10:34 PM

i to have the tx200hc only used now and then for fun on paper and chalk targets.
beautifull gun though.

Peteff - 16/8/09 at 10:48 PM

I have a BSA Cadet .177 air rifle upstairs. I used to shoot it when I was 10 years old and it was an old gun then (47 years ago). I use my catapult if I want to knock anything off though

scootz - 17/8/09 at 06:57 AM

I still have my 'Black-Widow' catapult (gutty) from my younger days. Great fun and pretty accurate with BB's!

balidey - 17/8/09 at 07:07 AM

Oh, all this talk of guns is making me nostalgic.
I used to shoot pistols and small bore rifles a few years ago, had a FAC and shotgun ticket. Then the ban came in making it almost impossible to shoot full bore.
My brother in law was into air rifles in a big way, had about 30 in a rack. No idea what makes or models we used to shoot, but I used to go there on a weekend, line up a row of tins and cans and empty as many tins of pellets as possible in as many air rifles as possible.
Shooting is such a dignified sport, such a shame it has virtually been taken away from us.
I often think about taking up a shotgun discipline of some sort.

Best memory of shooting pistol was a mate had a .44 magnum with an 8" barrel. Was a monster, and one day he had some full magnum rounds. He let me have a play. He gave me two bits of advice....
1: after you pull the trigger move your head to the side or the end of the barrel will hit you on the bridge of your nose.
2: If you have time, when you have pulled the trigger put the gun down, take off your ear defenders and then put your fingers in your ears. It was bloody loud.

I was fairly proficient with a pistol but I struggled to even hit the silouete with the .44 magnum. Hell of a gun, but totally impracticle.

[Edited on 17/8/09 by balidey]

flak monkey - 17/8/09 at 07:08 AM

Quite a few with fire arms certs then and a few experienced shooters too by the looks of it

Would love a rimfire .22 but at the moment I can't get one.

Was blowing apart windfall apples last night, which I seem to have an endless supply of Makes a bit of a mess though!

jeffw - 17/8/09 at 07:27 AM

I shot at Bisley as part of the RN Team, back in the day SLR over 1/2 mile with open sights sorts the visual impaired from the rest !

I did various armoury courses as well as fixing the big stuff (4.5"& various Missile systems) as part of my day job.

Ummm...Glock & MP5 suggests either the Police or special forces ....My most amazing shoot was a Barrett on a range in the US at 1 mile range, astounding gun.

Ivan - 17/8/09 at 07:59 AM

Got my first rifle for my fifth birthday - rim fire, bolt action BSA .22 - hunted almost every day after school till I was 12 mainly using my Mom's dual barrel .22 hornet with 410 shotgun under for game - fabulous combination - the hornet easily took out medium sized buck and the 410 was ideal for guinea fowl. Otherwise shot birds with the pellet gun or catapult Used to roam the Veld almost every day with my dog, friends and weapons of choice.

Then of course there where the battles with home made rubber powered guns using doubled over U shaped wire as ammunition - how we never blinded each other I will never know - maybe because our parents put an end to it before we got the chance to do too much damage to each other - much more fun than cap guns and maybe the pre courser to paint ball battles

Then we left countryside for the City - initially I hated it as I missed the absolute freedom. Now I can't even kill a fly, spider, scorpion or cockroach - catch it in a glass and set it free outside .

Was drill and weapons instructor in the infantry during my National Service.

Just bought a Pepper Gun for self defence for what it's worth. (My only gun now - don't miss them at all)

David Jenkins - 17/8/09 at 08:05 AM

I once tried shooting a Desert Eagle semi-auto pistol - 44 Magnum. A totally stupid weapon - too big & heavy, I could barely pull the slide to cock it, and monumental recoil.

I used to own a couple of big calibre guns - a 1911-pattern Colt 45ACP semi-auto (standard USA military issue) and a Webley 45 revolver (standard WWI issue for officers). Both were easy to use - but very different!

The daft thing about me once having a FAC and owning several rifles & pistols, is that in real life I doubt whether I could ever shoot a fellow human being - I even have philosophical problems with paint-balling!

carpmart - 17/8/09 at 08:09 AM

All this talk of air rifles has got me going again! I want one! See wanted advert below!

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=119662

Benzine - 17/8/09 at 08:27 AM

I have a Weihrauch 95k, pretty good. I used it for shooting rats at a local stables, some of them were the size of cats! You can't order air rifles online now can you since about a year ago? I've only got one air rifle and one air pistol but enough airsoft weapons to sink a ship, anyone else into airsoft?

cd.thomson - 17/8/09 at 08:31 AM

the only 2 guns ive played with were shotguns owned by a tobacco chewing, beer drinking realter in florida (friend of a friend of a friend).

The first was a pump action single barrel, used for killing snakes introduced with: 'ere have a go with my wifeys gun first.

The second was a semi-automatic combat shotgun used for killing 'gators that got on the guys land. Insane thing, especially when the powder from a dud shell coats the barrel then ignites at the next press of trigger . The largest shells he owned gave me the biggest, purplest bruise on the shoulder after 20 shots or so

flak monkey - 17/8/09 at 08:58 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Benzine
I have a Weihrauch 95k, pretty good. I used it for shooting rats at a local stables, some of them were the size of cats! You can't order air rifles online now can you since about a year ago? I've only got one air rifle and one air pistol but enough airsoft weapons to sink a ship, anyone else into airsoft?

The law changed a few years ago in that all air weapons must be sold by a registered fire arms dealer and all sales must be face to face and be recorded with the name and address of the purchaser and the serial number of the weapon.

However if it is a private sale then you can still sell remotely and send weapns through the post. I doubt this will continue for long though.

miikae - 17/8/09 at 09:37 AM

Ah back in care free single days i did a lot of DTL trap competition shooting (best score 95/100) with my trusty Browning A1 O/U, a bit of skeet and game too with a Miruku 800W but sadly the local gunsmith went bankcrupt and both of them got lost as he was selling them for me and i was away at the time so i didnt know until it was too late, when a shooting friend told me he thought he saw one of them in an auction and i was well out of pocket , all i have now is a Browning A1 semi auto with a Cutts compensator and some screw in chokes bought new in 1972, plus an old .22 BSA Meteor air rifle and a Webley .22 Senior/Premier pistol.

Back in the day a shotgun licence was 7/6 and bought from your local post office , i got my first one at 16 and bought an old Spanish Arramberri 12g side by side that rang like a bell when fired.

Mike

chrsgrain - 17/8/09 at 10:30 AM

I've shot a bit...

Small bore target rifle for University, full bore for University and England (once - everyone else was ill!), pistol and SA80 for work, and have now taken up trap shotgun shooting. Started in January, recently got 99/291 at the English Open, and won another gun - good days work!

It is great - but frustrating sometimes....

Chris

cd.thomson - 17/8/09 at 10:47 AM

SA80? are you in academic medicine in the military Chris?

Vindi_andy - 17/8/09 at 01:30 PM

Used to shoot small bore target rifle at 25 yds and 50 m unfortunately didnt have the natural ability. for rifle shooting.

Have now acquired my dads walther CO2 target pistol which is shot duelling style and that is a totally different proposition seem to have an aptitude for that.

My dad on the other hand was an excellent rifle shot and has shot for england at bisley on several occasions and was an X class shot and shot against malcolm cooper and alistair "jock" alan, not very well granted but shot against them.

had an operation on both thumbs a few years ago and has prety much given up hence my acquiring his pistol however as a trade I need to buy him a vermin control rifle and scope combo.

Any suggestions this is for pidgeon control

flak monkey - 17/8/09 at 02:54 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Vindi_andy
Any suggestions this is for pidgeon control

As per my suggestions in the wanted section:

Weihrach HW95
Theoben Evolution
BSA Lightening

All nice and light and pointable. Go .177 for birdies

The TX is great, but probs a bit heavy for a lot of close range, confined space work.

Billbro - 17/8/09 at 06:54 PM

Vindi-andy you can not go wrong with a .243 for vermin. .308 cartridge necked down to .243.
Travels about 3000 feet per second with a flat trajectory. Cost, about £150 second hand.

David Jenkins - 17/8/09 at 07:02 PM

Not exactly suitable for the average back garden!

scootz - 18/8/09 at 02:13 AM

There's not a firearms licensing dept in the land that would accept 'vermin control' as a reason for permitting a .243 unless you classify deer as vermin (causing damage to yours / farmers crop)... then you have a case!

Not doubting a .243 would do the job against 'typical' vermin... bang, and bye bye bunnies (yes, even you Big-Ears standing miles away!). But unless you lived in the middle of nowhere and were an experienced shot, then no-way are you getting one based on shooting rabbits, rats and pigeons!

The rules may have changed, so i could be wrong (frequently am!) - but from what I hear, they are tighter than ever before!