Board logo

Iphone Apps
Howlor - 20/8/09 at 02:14 PM

Afternoon All,

I did a quick search and couldn't find a recent thread on Iphone Apps. I am still amazed at what Apps are available and thought it may be good to find out other peoples favorites.

Car wise I have been playing with Harrys Lap Timer which has some nice features on it. The Sky + is superb when your out and about. GPS Tracker seems ok but you have to keep it running to track you on google maps.

I don't know if anybody has tried the sound meters for setting up exhausts? Or indeed the vernier caliper application!

Steve

Madinventions - 20/8/09 at 02:20 PM

No, but I use PocketDyno to get some 'information' about BHP and 0-60 times etc. I know it's probably not very accurate but it's quite cool and free! Dynolicious is another one, but that costs money...

Ed.

AdamR - 20/8/09 at 02:59 PM

I'm addicted to Flight Control. Also use eBay, Sky News and WeatherPro apps quite a lot.

Apple have certainly come up with a clever model for generating revenue, and the people creating the apps are making good money too. There was an article about this in the Metro recently, and the developers of some quite obscure apps have made £100K+. Being a software engineer myself I'm just waiting for the right idea to come along.... locostbuilders app anyone?

[Edited on 20/8/09 by AdamR]

grusks2 - 20/8/09 at 03:01 PM

A question for you iPhone users, ive been thinking of getting for ages, but scared to come away from blackberry as i run my bussines from it more or less. But after reading about the apps fro the iphone available i feel no longer im Inspector Gadget

2 question

1 Do emails get pushed ( eg come straight on the handset inbox) or will i have to log on and check via web mail.

2 Can i open and read microsoft exele speadsheet files

AdamR - 20/8/09 at 03:02 PM

quote:
Originally posted by grusks2
1 Do emails get pushed ( eg come straight on the handset inbox) or will i have to log on and check via web mail.

1. Yep.
2. Yep - a few apps out there for this, but not tried any personally.

Madinventions - 20/8/09 at 03:07 PM

I don't use push email on mine, but I use 'Quicksheet' to edit Excel files. It costs about £2 ish!

Ed.

NothernMonkey - 20/8/09 at 03:10 PM

On the email side of things you can also set it up to push hotmail accounts etc.. so email comes through every 15 mins.

Had the Blackberry Bold but moved over to iphone because of all the great Apps.

You'll wonder why you waited so long once you make the leap.

Nash - 20/8/09 at 03:13 PM

quote:
Originally posted by grusks2
A question for you iPhone users, ive been thinking of getting for ages, but scared to come away from blackberry as i run my bussines from it more or less. But after reading about the apps fro the iphone available i feel no longer im Inspector Gadget

2 question

yes you can set it up to pole for emails every x minutes (you decide)

yes excel apps are out there foc to do this. I have a blackberry (work) and a personal iPhone (which I'm using now to do this). I know which I prefer and i'm using it.

............ Neil

Danozeman - 20/8/09 at 03:24 PM

And they blow up in your pocket?? Is that an App?!

Howlor - 20/8/09 at 03:27 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Danozeman
And they blow up in your pocket?? Is that an App?!

I suppose it is if it Appens.

MikeRJ - 20/8/09 at 03:56 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Nash

yes you can set it up to pole for emails every x minutes (you decide)

That is not "push" email! The latest iPhone operating systems do support push email however, though it seems to dent battery life a bit.

grusks2 - 20/8/09 at 05:46 PM

many thanks guys, looks like a trip to the O2 shop

greggors84 - 20/8/09 at 06:59 PM

If you like going to the cinema then flixster is a good app, shows up coming movies and showtimes at cinemas near your location.

Shazam is always handy for identifying songs, just hold it up to the speaker and it will tag the song.

Games wise, like you im a bit addicted to Flight Control, also DrawRace is a good game and field runners will use up a few hours or spare (or not) time.

Jasper - 15/1/10 at 04:23 PM

Just to refresh this thread. Just got my first iPhone (3GS) after swearing they're overhyped and that the Nokia 5800 is just as good.

Well, this will come to no suprise to iPhone users, I'm completely in love with it already, it makes my 5800 look very basic and clunky indeed.

So, I'm sure there are more iPhone users on here, so let us know your favourite apps.

I've just installed Red Laser barcode reader, which is completely incredible, just take a picture of any barcode and it will immediately list all online retailers/prices with stock.