Board logo

How much does a Beefeater earn?
DarrenW - 27/1/10 at 08:49 PM

just curious. If ive spelt it wrong im referring to the blokes in red suits who look after the Tower of London.

Do they have to look after the crows?

flibble - 27/1/10 at 08:52 PM

28k a year or two ago I seem to recall

Steve G - 27/1/10 at 08:52 PM

Crows!!!! CROWS!!!!!!

Hang your head in shame young man - they are Ravens!!!

In fact.........OFF WITH HIS HEAD!!

irvined - 27/1/10 at 08:53 PM

I'm not sure how much they earn, but they do have to look after the crows. I Think most of them are soldiers (or were) I know its considered quite an honour to get to be one.

Btw, the chap we had giving the tour was fantastic, great sense of humour, although I did wonder if the jokes were just refined from centuries of tour guiding.

DavidM - 27/1/10 at 08:54 PM

You must be watching Relocation Relocation and wondering how the Beefeater can afford £350k for a house plus a weekend retreat. I don't know the answer to the question though.

David

pdm - 27/1/10 at 08:54 PM

Not watching loaction location location are you ??

Budget of £350K !!! What ??

StevieB - 27/1/10 at 09:07 PM

As above, Befeaters are full time served soldiers, which means they'll be on the salary, plus their Army pension and IIRC a lump sum on completion of service too.

DarrenW - 27/1/10 at 09:13 PM

quote:
Originally posted by DavidM
You must be watching Relocation Relocation and wondering how the Beefeater can afford £350k for a house plus a weekend retreat. I don't know the answer to the question though.

David

How very perceptive - certainly am (or was seeing as BB is on now)

David Jenkins - 27/1/10 at 09:13 PM

Aren't they all retired Sgt Majors?

DarrenW - 27/1/10 at 09:15 PM

Maybe hes been bagging up Raven pellets and selling them for ten bob a bag to the foreigners. 700,000 bags of raven pellets is a lot though isnt it. 2,000 a day over the year. Quite a few sacks to pilfer.

rusty nuts - 27/1/10 at 09:22 PM

Anyone checked the crown jewels lately?

DarrenW - 27/1/10 at 09:25 PM

Ive checked mine a few times. Why do you ask? would you lik to check them

DarrenW - 27/1/10 at 09:27 PM

Is it true the Beefeaters drink Red Bull?

MikeR - 27/1/10 at 09:32 PM

one thing to be aware of - its telly!!!!

just cause they say something doesn't mean its true. Watching one of those tv house buying programs a few years ago and a mate went "thats frank, i work with him". When he got back to the office he asked him about his buying of a 1/2 million pound house. Turns out his brother was supposed to be on the show but pulled out for some reason. He stood in with his family so it was entirely fake but gave them a show.

DarrenW - 27/1/10 at 09:39 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
one thing to be aware of - its telly!!!!

just cause they say something doesn't mean its true. Watching one of those tv house buying programs a few years ago and a mate went "thats frank, i work with him". When he got back to the office he asked him about his buying of a 1/2 million pound house. Turns out his brother was supposed to be on the show but pulled out for some reason. He stood in with his family so it was entirely fake but gave them a show.

Good point - ive done scrapheap challenge. Whilst that is / was probs less staged than most its no surprise how the required materials happen to be in that scrapyard.

Ninehigh - 27/1/10 at 11:08 PM

quote:
Originally posted by StevieB
As above, Befeaters are full time served soldiers, which means they'll be on the salary, plus their Army pension and IIRC a lump sum on completion of service too.

And all the steak they can eat

quote:
From DarrenW

Good point - ive done scrapheap challenge. Whilst that is / was probs less staged than most its no surprise how the required materials happen to be in that scrapyard.

It's Scrapheap Challenge not Mcguyver! Right we have to build a boat, what do we have? A Land Rover engine and a bike frame...

James - 28/1/10 at 01:41 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Ninehigh
quote:
Originally posted by StevieB

And all the steak they can eat

quote:
From DarrenW

It's Scrapheap Challenge not Mcguyver! Right we have to build a boat, what do we have? A Land Rover engine and a bike frame...

That sounds more like the A-team!