Board logo

Would you intervene?
twybrow - 2/3/10 at 06:21 PM

Just drove home from work, and just 1/2 mile from home I saw a chav at the side of the road, slamming a dog's head into the tarmac, and whipping it repeatedly with it's lead....

I was outraged enough to reverse back down the road, and confront the group. I asked if they really thought that was the right way to treat an animal. The chap dishing out the beating was like 'its my f***ing dog so I'll hit it if I want'. He went on to say that it was 'eating sh*t' so it deserved it. I said he was talking sh*t and perhaps therefore the best course of action was for me to whip him (being 6' 6" and having a skin head does help here...). Fortunately, he didn't pull a knife on me (rural Worcestershire for you!), but I did question afterwards if I should have stepped in (on my own). What would you have done?

001Ben - 2/3/10 at 06:24 PM

Not sure, probably run the little scote over. Seriously though well done for stepping in there is never a need to treat an animal in that way

graememk - 2/3/10 at 06:24 PM

about 6 years or so ago i took a dog from a customers house as they were treating it badly, it was a little cross ugly thing that my mates mum still has, i caught the owner kick and hit he dog. however i'm 6'1" and fat, lucky the guy was a wimp so yes good off you to stop, but i would of taken the dog as well. as it wil happen time and time again untill the dog attacks.

BenB - 2/3/10 at 06:29 PM

Personally I would have filmed it on my mobile and sent it to the local police and the RSPCA and made sure I got a nice facial shot of the person doing it.....

twybrow - 2/3/10 at 06:32 PM

When driving along, filming was not exactly on the cards! I did think about trying to take the dog, but I felt that was one step too far (plus I have 2 cats!).

dave-69isit - 2/3/10 at 06:41 PM

yep the chav needs to learn thugs have no respect for any thing the dog will turn if it lives long enough

zilspeed - 2/3/10 at 06:43 PM

quote:
Originally posted by twybrow
Just drove home from work, and just 1/2 mile from home I saw a chav at the side of the road, slamming a dog's head into the tarmac, and whipping it repeatedly with it's lead....

I was outraged enough to reverse back down the road, and confront the group. I asked if they really thought that was the right way to treat an animal. The chap dishing out the beating was like 'its my f***ing dog so I'll hit it if I want'. He went on to say that it was 'eating sh*t' so it deserved it. I said he was talking sh*t and perhaps therefore the best course of action was for me to whip him (being 6' 6" and having a skin head does help here...). Fortunately, he didn't pull a knife on me (rural Worcestershire for you!), but I did question afterwards if I should have stepped in (on my own). What would you have done?

Well done.
You did what you knew you had to do.
You probably also did what you wouldn't now do having had time to think about it.

If that makes sense.

I once stopped the car and manhandled the drunk off the road and told him to stop arguing with the cars and get himself home and straighten up.
That's the closest I've ever been to getting involved.

Other than the time I found myself directing traffic and phoning loved ones after witnessing a car crash.

Or, come to think of it, the time I saw some blokes harrasing a girl, turned the Transit I was driving and chased the cnuts with the van. It was late at night when all sorts of stupidity can happen.

Other than that, and with hindsight and clear thought, I ususally avoid trouble like the plague, I'm the biggest woose you're ever likely to encounter.

You did the right thing.
I'll probably be roundly vilified for this, but I reckon if you're able to do what you did, that's what makes us a society rather than an uncaring rabble.

[Edited on 2/3/10 by zilspeed]

speedyxjs - 2/3/10 at 06:45 PM

B*stards

I think you did the right thing confronting them but you have to be so careful with guys like that as most of them do tend to carry weapons (i know that for certain!)

JonnyS - 2/3/10 at 06:50 PM

Up to 3 lads I'd have confronted them. Any more and I'm not sure

Richard Quinn - 2/3/10 at 06:52 PM

A lot of them now actually use the dog as a weapon! These people have no respect for human life, never mind that of an animal. Should get them down to the vets to have their knackers off. If that doesn't work they should be put to sleep (the chavs, not the animals!)

twybrow - 2/3/10 at 06:53 PM

....I just remembered one more bit - when he said it had been eating sh*t, I probably shouldn't have answered with 'well that is only really a problem if you intend to kiss it straight afterwards'. Oops.

MikeR - 2/3/10 at 07:02 PM

four or five years ago NSDev and I saw a bloke on the floor gettting a kicking (at about 5:30pm, we'd just got fish and chips).

We pulled out, shouted and ran in. They saw us and ran off. Waited around till the ambulance and the blokes wife came round (strangely she almost started giving him a beating!)

Would i do it on my own - no. Would i have done it if i'd thought about it, probably not.

Would I have stopped for the dog ..... I hope I would. The g/f wouldn't be able to live with herself if she didn't.

Well done - now please report it to the RSPCA. You never know if they already know the person and are waiting for one call to act.

StevieB - 2/3/10 at 07:08 PM

Closest I ever got was when I was out with a mate when we were let out of barracks for the night.

We were just leaving a club and heading back via a riverside path when my mate took off ahead and gave a mouthful to 3 lads and walked off with a young couple. He left me to deal with the aftermath of the 3 enraged lads.

I didn't have a clue what was going on but knew my mate wouldn't have done something like that for no reason, so I stood my ground. I figured all I had to do was last long enough until my mate got back to help out - 2 of my superiors were not far behind either.

In the end I just told them I can either sort them out right there and then, or they could winf their necks in and come for a kebab - which they duly did (once they figured out we were Army, they changed their attitudes quick time).

Turns out my mate heard them being a bit lurid towards the girl then threatening towards the lad - all the couple wantd to do was get back to a taxi and finish their night peacfully. My mate told them all he basically didn't have time to mess about with them, but they were quite welcome to discuss their problems with me if they wished.

I wouldn't have ever done any such thing with non-squady mates though - I at least knew Bob had the balls to back his mouth up rather than just leave me in the $hit.

DM - 2/3/10 at 07:09 PM

quote:
Fortunately, he didn't pull a knife on me (rural Worcestershire for you!),

I live in one of those parts of southeast London where, sadly, you'd be ill-advised in taking that chance. Round here I'd have kept out of it but well done you for stepping in

dlatch - 2/3/10 at 07:12 PM

this is one thing that i can't abide (animal cruelty)
i would have confronted them no matter what.

people fighting well thats another story would only get involved if i knew people involved ie: friends/family

andyharding - 2/3/10 at 07:13 PM

Well done. Would also call the RSPCA and Police and report him.

TimC - 2/3/10 at 07:13 PM

Well done Mate - animal cruelty of an kind drives me nuts.

I would probably have got a kicking - looking like the milky-bar kid as I do. I do punch above my 10-year-old-features though so I'd have had a go... the problem is that I don't ever think about these things - had a mate get bottled once and went wild and also saw a guy slapping around his girlfriend on a night out and myself and another guy held him down until BiB arrived.

I guess that attitude can easlily get you killed but you do what you do... what was that song from school? "Would you walk by on the other side... etc."

quote:
Originally posted by StevieB
I wouldn't have ever done any such thing with non-squady mates though - I at least knew Bob had the balls to back his mouth up rather than just leave me in the $hit.

Funnily enough, the last mate I'd trust to back me up is my forces-mate. He's built like a brick-outhouse and an absolute liability in these situations. Let's hope he's a it more savvy when in Afghan!

[Edited on 2/3/10 by TimC]

scootz - 2/3/10 at 07:36 PM

Well done mate...

I would have done the same... I detest bullies and have a history of (sometimes ill-advisedly) putting myself in the firing line!

Won most, lost some, but always got my point across!

perksy - 2/3/10 at 07:43 PM

First off, Well Done for standing up

Trust me, if i would of been there i'd of been right by your side
Can't stand any form of cruelty to animals and have 'voiced' this many times (including the Westfield boardroom )

As far as anything else goes, i once saw a Lad trying to break into some cars on our street and gave chase, Cornered him until the police arrived
Afterwards you think "What If ? "

But once the adrenalin kicks in you just do what you think is right...

Irony - 2/3/10 at 07:47 PM

Good for you mate! Congrats on being a little bit of a hero!

jacko - 2/3/10 at 07:55 PM

quote:

Well done mate next time kick the sh-t out of him

Jon Ison - 2/3/10 at 08:03 PM

quote:

Would have done exactly the same even to the point of questioning myself afterwards if it was wise, I often act 1st think after on occasions like this.

YQUSTA - 2/3/10 at 08:18 PM

Good on you mate.

If it were me I couldn't say I would have stopped (cos I'm a skinny wimp) but I would have phoned the fuzz and parked at a distance to watch them and follow if they moved on.

Ian

A1 - 2/3/10 at 08:21 PM

good going, far too often people dont stant up to these people. cant stand cruelty to animals.
add me to the sterilise the chavs list by the way.

Confused but excited. - 2/3/10 at 09:09 PM

I wouldn't have bothered speaking to the little scrote, just FHU.

deanwelch - 2/3/10 at 09:19 PM

well done..like they say"for evil to prosper all it takes is for good men to do nothing"............karma

craig1410 - 3/3/10 at 12:16 AM

Nice one - well done!

I've had a few situations where my poor impulse control has gotten me into similar situations. Most recently I was standing in a queue waiting to use a cash machine when a drunk guy came up and decided to skip the queue just as it was my turn.

Before I had time to think I said, "Oi, there's a queue!". The guy kinda snarled as he turned to face me and I realised he was about 6 inches taller and probably 5 stone heavier than me. Oops!

If there had been a piano playing then it would have stopped! Other people in the queue were backing away slowly... I stood my ground and glared back at him and he then started apologising and went calmly to the back of the queue. I kept him in view as I got my cash just in case he had second thoughts...

Prior to that event a cement lorry driver blatantly ignored me when he was blocking a side street through which I wanted to pass. I waited patiently to begin with then after a minute or so I flashed my lights. After a bit longer I gave a polite "peep" on the horn and then a long "peep". All the time I could see him looking at me in his mirror and was laughing to his mate sitting next to him. He was waiting to drop his cement at an adjacent building site and they were eating lunch. I lost my cool and got out of my car and walked up and opened the driver's door. He started to apologise and claim that he hadn't seen me. I said, "yes you f***ing did, now move your ar$e!". And he did!!!

Another time, I was driving through a residential estate with a mate and we saw a young lad run up behind a girl and grab her round the neck from behind like in a choke hold. She initially looked like she was fighting him off so I screeched to a halt and opened the car door and was about to get out. The girl realised how things looked and said something to the lad who then looked over and released her. They both smiled and walked up the road laughing.

One word of advice I would give is that if you do decide to intervene then do so strongly with confidence and then get back out of harm's way quickly. It's a bit like tackling in Rugby - go in half-heartedly and you'll get hurt.

I'd also recommend a book called "Dead or Alive" by Geoff Thomson. It describes physiological responses in fight or flight situations and how they affect your ability to cope rationally under the influence of adrenaline. Really the only way to train for it is to experience it regularly through some form of fight training such as Boxing, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu or another martial art. Or I suppose you could get a job on customer service for Easyjet...

morcus - 3/3/10 at 04:18 AM

Totally agree with the poster above, you have to go in with full force of mind, and be prepared to what you have to.

Wht you should of done is stopped, got out of the car (This works best if your tall in a smallish car as the unfolding makes you look bigger), walked purposefully towards him and punched him hard in the face, then you should have started talking.

In alot of circumstances, Just pulling up and getting out of a car can be enough to scare people into thinking you mean business (especially against tailgaters).

russbost - 3/3/10 at 08:03 AM

Agree with pretty much everything said. More of us need to stand up & be counted! There is never any excuse for this sort of cruelty whether to man or beast

T66 - 3/3/10 at 08:10 AM

First of all well done for pulling the little poo !

The reason this country is the way it is (apart from NuLabour supporting the dross minority to know their rights) is folk have been prosecuted for hitting said turds when committing acts of anti social behaviour.

This has lead to a society where folk sadly walk past what is going on, therefore said turd starts to think he/they are actually "hard"....

However when confronted said turd/s usually are as soft as sh1te when fronted up by aggressive opposition.

Not saying its safe everytime, turd numbers need evaluating before sticking your neck out and whether your up for a punch up if it goes that way.

In my experience in such matters, if there are three turds No1 will fight you, No2 will try and join in, but if your busy battering his mate unlikely, No3 will either watch or leave.

If No1 gets the upper hand then No2 & No3 get braver and kick your ass.

So top tip make sure No1 is well sorted out and you get away with it.

More than 3 your pushing your luck bigstyle, but thats where your tongue is actually your best weapon, as it is in most cases.

Dross only understand being bullied, thats the environment where they come from, this country has gone to tits because the folk employed to suppress the dross have their hands tied behind their back with the human rights act and so on.

So well done that man !! if we all confront a turd a day the world would be a better place.

I am officially canvassing for the post of Prime minister, votes will be gratefully recieved.

Badger_McLetcher - 6/3/10 at 01:22 AM

I'd like to think I'd stop, but you don't know for sure until it happens to you. I've had a few run ins with chavs over the last few years, the worst of which was when I was attacked randomly in the centre of Bristol. Hit me from behind then ran off when I got enough wits to fight back, but left my face badly bruised. Police never got the buggers either.
It has made me a bit more wary, but I'd like to think that I would intervene.