Board logo

Anybody know anyone who is stranded abroad???
mangogrooveworkshop - 19/4/10 at 08:54 PM

Anybody know anyone who is stranded abroad???

Some of the staff who were on holidays in foreign lands wont be back for a while.....the boss being one of them......

Big Stu - 19/4/10 at 08:56 PM

Not abroad, but still stranded. Stuck offshore north east of Shetland. We had a flight last night to take some guys off that needed in urgently apart from that there has been no flying since Wednesday. I am booked to go home tomorrow but I think I will be lucky if I am home for Saturday

David Jenkins - 19/4/10 at 08:59 PM

A colleague of mine went on a 1-day business trip to our head office in Copenhagen... out on Wednesday morning, back the next morning... didn't quite work out...

Spent 28 hours to get home, on trains through Denmark, Germany and Holland (including a 7-hour wait for a connection in a German station), then the ferry from the Hook of Holland to Harwich.

Of the desks around mine, one guy was in Ethiopia (he's now got as far as Istanbul), another's stuck in India, and one girl's still in Cambodia.

Fozzie - 19/4/10 at 09:04 PM

A close friend of ours Mum is stranded in Tenerife...she was told last Friday, that it would be Thursday at the earliest before she gets a flight home..

Fozzie

ReMan - 19/4/10 at 09:06 PM

Yep, one of my staff stuck in europe.
Should have flown back Saturday, resceduled flight twice now next saturday.
Has booked land transport, but the earliest he could get is next saturday

daniel mason - 19/4/10 at 09:12 PM

my boss is in egypt!

caber - 19/4/10 at 09:16 PM

Two of my staff were flying back from Frakfurt Thursday lunchtime, as soon as I heard what was going on on Thursday morning I called them and told them to get straight to the station and book home (to Edinburgh) by train. They were among the last to get tickets on the Eurostar, at least that's what they told me when they handed in First Class tickets

Caber

blockhead_rich - 19/4/10 at 09:16 PM

My boss is in Singapore, am told he had to share a hotel bedroom with 4 other colleagues the other night,!!!

Did laugh when I heard that!

No idea when he will be back...

Volvorsport - 19/4/10 at 09:20 PM

were off to belgium tomorrow !

eurotunnel is a blessing .

boss is stuck in florida ..... ooh the irony .

nick205 - 19/4/10 at 09:24 PM

One of my customers is stuck in Las Vegas after a trade show - he's quite content although I suspect his expenses claim might be interesting

IanBrace - 19/4/10 at 09:25 PM

My wife and I own a travel agents.... bloody nightmare!

Volvorsport - 19/4/10 at 09:33 PM

which ones that in lincoln?

coozer - 19/4/10 at 09:52 PM

My boss is.. ahem 'stranded'

He phoned form Slovakia last Thursday to say the flight was cancelled... called today to say he'd made it to Prague... next train to Brussels is tomorrow, Eurostar is the day after.

So, thats the weekend in Prague and a midweek overnighter in Brussels.

The fat git could have walked back by now!

And all he was bothered about was me taking his place at Nissan on a poxy course. Last laugh here as most of the course attendees were from Europe and aren't coming now so its been cancelled!

eznfrank - 19/4/10 at 09:55 PM

Makes me laugh how the news is almost praising these people as heroes just because they had to get a train and maybe a bus and a ferry - big deal? Ok so I wouldn't fancy being in their position but it's not like they've been out fighting in Afghanistan or anything!!

One guy got a £1400 taxi ride, what a pillock, worse case why not buy a banger and then flog it or give it away when you get back?

[Edited on 19/4/10 by eznfrank]

dave1888 - 19/4/10 at 09:58 PM

Friends still in Dubai.

iank - 19/4/10 at 10:14 PM

Got friends trapped in Tokyo, Helsinki and Oulu.

ChrisW - 19/4/10 at 10:46 PM

A good friend of mine is stranded in Iceland itself

Chris

Peteff - 19/4/10 at 10:53 PM

quote:
Originally posted by daniel mason
my boss is in egypt!

Well he could walk (like an Egyptian) O A O.

daviep - 19/4/10 at 10:56 PM

I'm in Ghana

Could be worse, at least it's sunny.

daviep - 19/4/10 at 10:59 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Big Stu
Not abroad, but still stranded. Stuck offshore north east of Shetland. We had a flight last night to take some guys off that needed in urgently apart from that there has been no flying since Wednesday. I am booked to go home tomorrow but I think I will be lucky if I am home for Saturday

Nobody suggested boat transfers yet?

What rig are you on?

Davie

James - 19/4/10 at 11:26 PM

A girl at my TKD club is in Florida on family holiday.

Was meant to come back last Thursday I think. Instead, they can't get a flight till the 30th! so nearly 2 weeks extra there... and off school too!

This is only possible because they booked 1st class (and paying £5000!) If they waited for normal seats they couldn't come back till the 10th of May!!!

[Edited on 20/4/10 by James]

Big Stu - 20/4/10 at 01:02 AM

Nobody suggested boat transfers yet?

What rig are you on?

Davie

Cormorant Alpha, ex shell platform. Our company has said that it will hire a DSV with helideck. Get the new crew onboard in aberdeen, then come out here (22hrs) pick us up then head back. Might not happen as flights may be moving today but they are certainly looking at it, will cost about a 100k a day. Our cranes are not suitable for man riding so can't put us down in the basket would need to fly from here to the DSV.

tweek - 20/4/10 at 01:41 AM

I'm stuck in littleton MA, USA. Out here for a course with IBM and was supposed to fly home yesterday(sunday 18th), current thinking is I'll be flying this sunday but the way things are going even that seems doubtful.

Whats really annoying is that my girlfriend got me a driving day at thruxton for christmas and, of course, it's booked for this saturday. We're hoping they'll be generous and let us reschedule.

The only positive is that because it's a company trip I've still got a hotel and all I have to pay for is food. I'm luckier than some and very grateful for that.

Also really thankful I brought my laptop - I'd be going insane by now without it!

Attackbuilder - 20/4/10 at 06:36 AM

Stuck in China after the F1.... looking like end of the week :-(

eddie99 - 20/4/10 at 06:53 AM

My Dad went on a 6 day trip to india and australia (2 days in each), was due to be back Monday morning. Has now managed to get to dubai to stay in a hotel in abu dhabi and is hoping to get home before the weekend!

MK9R - 20/4/10 at 07:19 AM

My friends are "stuck" in the Maldives on their honey moon! Could be worse places to be stranded!!! It is costing them £200 a night for the hotel though, ouch!! Another friend is stuck with wife and kid in portugal, have been told don't even think of anything happening until thursday!!

whitestu - 20/4/10 at 07:22 AM

quote:

my boss is in egypt!

So is mine!

MK9R - 20/4/10 at 07:29 AM

quote:
Originally posted by whitestu
quote:

my boss is in egypt!

So is mine!

do you work for the same person

splitrivet - 20/4/10 at 09:17 AM

Should have picked my lad up from East midlands returning from Portugal they've now told him the 29ths going to be the earliest he'll get back.
Cheers,
Bob

lotusmadandy - 20/4/10 at 11:10 AM

my mate is stuck in florida,he was supposed to come home last saturday...the jammy get.

Andy

cd.thomson - 20/4/10 at 11:26 AM

quote:
Originally posted by whitestu
quote:

my boss is in egypt!

So is mine!

my boss is in ibiza, so a relaxing week for me

chris.russell - 20/4/10 at 02:51 PM

i'm stuck here in oxford, was meant to be flying back to Florida earlier this morning but they have rebooked me for 7 days time. Fingers crossed things might have improve by then