Board logo

Anyone used a rotovator?
richard thomas - 1/6/10 at 10:48 AM

Looking to turn over my front and rear gardens prior to turfing them. Initially though of digging up the existing grass, but it's a big job - already removed the bulk of the shrubs/bushes/tree stumps etc...

Anyone know if a rotovator will cut through existing lawn, or just skid over the top?

blakep82 - 1/6/10 at 10:51 AM

i used one last year on my garden, same thing, tuning it over to help flatten it out and dig a pond etc.
not sure if i was using it right, but it wanted to just drive over the top, i had to really use all my weight to hold it back to make it dig in. once the top layer was broken it worked a lot better

jossey - 1/6/10 at 10:55 AM

i have used one i got from jewsons for a day.

its great until you find rocks or routes then it throws you around like a doll strapped to a rally car.

i turned over my whole garden 50m x 10m in 1 day. but i suggest get rid of any stones first.

Buy sand if your going to grass it and spread over top soil and mix in with rotavator.

good luck

flak monkey - 1/6/10 at 11:02 AM

Depends what sort. We had a 60yr old 2 stroke monster which would plough through anything (including buried bricks) with no worries.

The cheap modern lightweight ones are harder work though.

Agriv8 - 1/6/10 at 11:21 AM

I did my garden with a monster one and took 2 to hold it back for the first cut.

Strongly suggest you dig out any dandylions before you start.

regards

Agriv8

Daddylonglegs - 1/6/10 at 11:33 AM

As already said, they work if they are man enough but be prepared for a serious workout! And hang on!

emsfactory - 1/6/10 at 11:45 AM

depends on the machine.
I have an oldy but a goody.
Just add a few inches to the depth each time and you should be fine. They can be a bit skittish breakin through in the first instance though.
It took me about 4 passes to get to full depth on my plot. It had been unused for about 10 years. That was then down about a foot.

BenB - 1/6/10 at 11:47 AM

Hang on and as said get rid of any perinial weeds first because if you chop bindweed, couch grass, marestail etc etc into a thousand pieces you'll regret it in a years time

Andi - 1/6/10 at 11:49 AM

I used to rotovate for a living. I used a Ferrari rotovater.. (probably the only Ferrari ill ever drive).

It was a scary beast, even after years of using it.
If your machine is not quite up to the job, give the ground a good soaking first.

v8kid - 1/6/10 at 12:50 PM

I hired a 4 wheeled sit on one a bit like a minitractor when we built the house. Only £20 dearer and it was no effort at all. I rotovated 0.5 acre in the morning and drank beer in the afternoon.

Happy days!

coozer - 1/6/10 at 03:31 PM

I didn't bother with one and just drank beer all day.

richard thomas - 1/6/10 at 05:00 PM

Smiths toolhire down the road do one that looks purposeful for £31 per day or £40 per weekend...no contest seeing as I was looking to buy one on fleabay and was aghast at the prices!

Any tips on prep for turf laying? I have given the weeds a good sousing with Roundup then Weedol....hope that will see them off? The existing grass I was hoping to rotovate into the ground...

norfolkluego - 1/6/10 at 07:52 PM

quote:
Originally posted by richard thomas
Smiths toolhire down the road do one that looks purposeful for £31 per day or £40 per weekend...no contest seeing as I was looking to buy one on fleabay and was aghast at the prices!

Any tips on prep for turf laying? I have given the weeds a good sousing with Roundup then Weedol....hope that will see them off? The existing grass I was hoping to rotovate into the ground...

Depends on the soil you've got, if it's heavy clay you need somethime to break it up, lime if I remember. If it's dry sandy soil (particularly on a slope) you need something to retain moisture, compost or something similar.

[Edited on 1/6/10 by norfolkluego]

richard thomas - 1/6/10 at 08:18 PM

Pretty good soil so far as I can make out...quite sandy - near to the sea here - but looks dark in colour, almost the colour of potting soil.