Board logo

OT - fence post notching?
nick205 - 8/3/11 at 07:41 PM

I've started erecting a fence of 4x4" posts with 3 4x2" rails and feather board planks. Posts are now concreted in place and I have some U shaped fence clips I was going to use to fit the rails in between the posts so the boards end up flush with the faces of the posts. Dead simple and quick to do, but having thought about it the clips will not look great and I'd rather try and notch the posts so the rails sit flush.

Bearing in mind the posts are already in place, what are people's thoughts on how to notch out for the rails?

I have hand saws, a circular saw etc.

NigeEss - 8/3/11 at 07:51 PM

Have you got a router ?

RAYLEE29 - 8/3/11 at 07:52 PM

Hi I may be wrong but dont people normally fit the arris rail between the posts? if you need to notch then i would do half and half to keep everything as strong as possible.
im no fencer btw just my thoughts
Ray

nick205 - 8/3/11 at 07:52 PM

Yes, but it's a bit weedy and only 1/4" collet so not sure it'll be up to it - might be just cause for a new tool purchase though

nick205 - 8/3/11 at 07:55 PM

quote:
Originally posted by RAYLEE29
Hi I may be wrong but dont people normally fit the arris rail between the posts? if you need to notch then i would do half and half to keep everything as strong as possible.
im no fencer btw just my thoughts
Ray

That seems the usual way, but I figured making partial mortices each side of the posts would be harder than an open notch. The posts are 4x4" and the fence runs between 2 houses so it's not in direct wind.

Thinking about it it doesn't have to be a full width notch though, could be 1x2" like an open arris rail mortice.

[Edited on 8/3/11 by nick205]

cliftyhanger - 8/3/11 at 08:10 PM

A little router should work fine on a fence post, not usually hard wood. Maybe just two slots with the circular saw and a chisel?
Think I woul s do the notches 1 1/2" deep into the post, and take 1/2" off the rails. No good reason to that though.
I'll be honest, I used arris rail brackets when I did my fences, notching all seemed too much faff. Paint them with fence treatment to help blend them......the wife was happy with it.

MikeR - 8/3/11 at 08:43 PM

I'm confused, the arris rail metal bits put the rail between the two posts at what ever position you want - ie level with the posts. You can then attach the boards as you want and have everything nice and level.

Its what i did when i repaired a bit of fence (ok, i had to rebend the metal mounting plates for a reason i can't remember but it took only a minute).

All you need to do is cut the joining rails to the correct size, why are you making things difficult (or is your setup different to mine?)

nick205 - 8/3/11 at 09:17 PM

I've just been out in the garage looking at the fence clips I bought along with a bag of nails. On balance clips it is going to be - means I can get the job done in one day and they'll beon the neighbours side anyway

dhutch - 8/3/11 at 11:23 PM

quote:
Originally posted by nick205...and they'll beon the neighbours side anyway

Job done!