Board logo

Good or Bad move
Hector.Brocklebank - 2/5/11 at 03:35 PM

so i throw the floor open.

was it a good move or a bad move to off bin laden ?

is there much chance of possible backlash from his supporters

Mark Allanson - 2/5/11 at 03:43 PM

If he was dead, they would be flaunting the body, doing [american accent] autopsy's [american accent], they wouldn't have just chucked the body in the sea.

He will be in Guantanamo Bay being waterboarded or something equally CIAish

tegwin - 2/5/11 at 03:43 PM

He needed to go... But telling the world about it... no...

Especially given the way the Americans seem to be behaving on hearing the news. All they are going to do my celebrating hsi death is to infuriate those who believe Bin-man is a martyr...

iscmatt - 2/5/11 at 04:07 PM

I won't believe he is dead or captured until we have photographic evidence. Showing the 'compound' on the tv means nothing

PSpirine - 2/5/11 at 04:08 PM

Is this why the bin man hasn't been round today to collect the rubbish?!

Simon - 2/5/11 at 04:17 PM

I don't believe he is dead - the ultimate punishment would be eternity in a western prison in solitary which I suspect is where he is; having his nails/fingers/nuts/eyes etc etc removed with a blunt instrument. Much as death is deserved, I'd make keeping him alive and in as much pain as poss until he's told all he has to tell.

Apparently the us were watching the compund for the last 4 years - how many deaths have the us been responsible for through inaction.

ATB

Simon

David Jenkins - 2/5/11 at 04:17 PM

Maybe bumping him off was a good move, albeit dubious morally. Boasting about it afterwards is NOT a good move!

A better idea would have been to do the job, then announce that "Oh, we have good evidence that Osama Bin Laden is dead" and keep quiet about who, when and how.

Kwik - 2/5/11 at 04:23 PM

i thought they threw him in the sea for religious reasons, burrial within 24hours or something... does sound jubious, especially in the sea...

scootz - 2/5/11 at 04:24 PM

All sounds a bit bollocky to me!

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Bin Laden died years ago and they've just been keeping the 'bogey-man' myth going to keep us all in suspenders!

Doctor Derek Doctors - 2/5/11 at 04:30 PM

Bloody hell, I didn't know that Locost Builders was also a conspiracy theory website as well......

scootz - 2/5/11 at 04:31 PM

Have your wheels arrived yet?

Stuart_B - 2/5/11 at 04:36 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Doctor Derek Doctors
Bloody hell, I didn't know that Locost Builders was also a conspiracy theory website as well......

oh it is, locost builders has it all

i think it is a good move, it get the message across that it may take years, but justice will be had.

blakep82 - 2/5/11 at 04:36 PM

if they were just going to say he was dead and he wasn't, why wouldn't they have done it 6 or 7 years ago?
its entirely likely. they didn't say they knew he was there for 4 years, but they have been following one of his messengers for 4 years, which eventually led them to this compund

of course, without photos, we won't know for sure, but why would they say he was dead, where IF he isn't, he'll just send a new video next week saying, erm, i'm still alive?

and who's boasting? obama held a press conference type statement thing as any president or prime minister would have done, and the public are the ones holding big street parties, which i think would happen anywhere

[Edited on 2/5/11 by blakep82]

scootz - 2/5/11 at 04:45 PM

To keep the 'bogey-man' spectre hanging over us all!

Anyway... it's all in the timing!

Many 'in-the-know' suggest that the whereabouts of the previous Most-Wanted-Man in the World (Radovan Karadzic) was known for ages before taking him in.

They were just waiting for the right 'political' moment to make their move...

Confused but excited. - 2/5/11 at 04:53 PM

Pony soldiers ALWAYS speak with forked tongue.
ie; The Yanks always tell porkies.
Edited for the hard of thinking.

[Edited on 2/5/11 by Confused but excited.]

britishtrident - 2/5/11 at 04:54 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Kwik
i thought they threw him in the sea for religious reasons, burrial within 24hours or something... does sound jubious, especially in the sea...

The KGB buried Hitler in their staff car park for 45 years, Eva Peron's body was dug and held for ransom then mysteriously made to vanish for 16 years, a few years even more bizarrely her husband's body was also stolen and returned with the hands cut off --- I can't think of anything more dubious sounding than those stories but they are true.

Conspiracy theories will always surround this type of story, truth is in effect Bin Laden has been a prisoner in quasi-solitary for the last 9 years.

scootz - 2/5/11 at 04:55 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Confused but excited.

??

Confused but excited. - 2/5/11 at 04:58 PM

Oh, come on Scootz, switch your head on.

scootz - 2/5/11 at 05:00 PM

Nope... my heads 'off' - you'll need to explain that one to me!

Confused but excited. - 2/5/11 at 05:01 PM

Done as requested. See original post. ^

scootz - 2/5/11 at 05:03 PM

i would never have got that (I can be a right thick ******* sometimes!).

beagley - 2/5/11 at 05:08 PM

As an American I think it was nothing more than a political move. Now the president, whose approval ratings have been plummeting, has something to use to start swinging momentum for next year's election.

All a bunch of hogwash, make the announcement and be done with it. They're doing nothing but throwing fuel on a highly volatile situation, but I am glad that he has been dealt with.

beagley - 2/5/11 at 05:12 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Confused but excited.
ie; The Yanks always tell porkies.
Edited for the hard of thinking.

[Edited on 2/5/11 by Confused but excited.]

We do not!

But I could be lying..?...

ravingfool - 2/5/11 at 05:34 PM

To be fair, I understand the appropriate religious practice is a burial within 24 hours, and burial at sea means that there is no grave for any would be terrorists to visit or celebrate at; nor for anyone else to dig up and abuse.

But that aside, it does sound a little odd..

JoelP - 2/5/11 at 07:32 PM

the lad at work suggested it was a conspiracy one way or another, but as suggested, theres no reason really. He had it coming, though to be fair a proper trial and life in an american jail was probably hoping for too much

se7en - 2/5/11 at 07:49 PM

IMHO Pakistan's government have always harboured terrorists. They knew back in 2001 and they know now where terror cells are held out in their country. I have advocated this since 9-11 and I also said at the time that while the west were hunting for OBL in Afghanistan, he was hiding out in Pakistan. I believe that the Taliban are using Pakistan to train operatives for use in Afghanistan.

One thing that I am, as a UK tax payer, very pi$$ed off about is our government handing over £630M to Pakistan. UK citizens could use such hand-outs to improve hospitals and schools for our children. Some of this money could also be used in fighting terrorism in the UK as IMO after today's announcement we are certain to be in line for another terrorism outrage.

Just my opinions

Tom

T66 - 2/5/11 at 08:56 PM

No theorist would ever support that by killing him was going to stop or prevent further terror acts....

This was all about killing him, they said they would and they have - well done !

Only a few countries in the world who are capable and willing to court worldwide criticism of taking on , and executing this enormous feat of military expertise.

The US & Israel & the Russians, the rest would have to debate first, share it with the press , wait a while, debate a bit more...

Meanwhile these people merely have to get a numpty caught on an aircraft with a box of matches and clonky shoes, and the whole aviation security world changes. They dont need to blow things up to succeed in causing problems.

If we all stop pursuing these people, and sit on our hands - the terror will get a whole lot worse.

Lets keep the ball rolling and kill who ever fancies taking up the job, Al Zarqawi's replacement is very high profile .....

Anyone know who he is ?

scootz - 3/5/11 at 06:42 AM

... who said you can't take the Bin out on a bank holiday!?

Mr Whippy - 3/5/11 at 07:22 AM

they said on the news it his killing was shown live at the white house

so when will it be on you tube??

gingerprince - 6/5/11 at 06:54 PM

He is dead - there's even a song about it: -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHixKt1fr_c

Ninehigh - 6/5/11 at 07:45 PM

They could do something that would actually make a difference and sniper all the pikeys

Oh hang on, the only oil they have is stolen diesel and maybe chip fat...

morcus - 6/5/11 at 08:19 PM

Capturing him would have been better, so he could have been propperly tried before he was killed and the sea burial makes perfect sense for reasons already given. There were going to be conspiracy theories, this would have been know from the start, the more infomation they put out the less weird speculation there will be. Just look at the conspiracy theories that came about from the Russians keeping secrets after WW2?

I don't buy that they Killed him by accident or that they had no choice, the whole thing reeks of pure assasination, or at the very least simillar to Che Geuvaras death. If the US is calling open season as far as assasination is concerned, why are we wasting money supporting Rebels in Libya when we could just kill Gadaffi?

I think it's a US conspiracy to Keep Henry Coopers passing out of the news, he did Floor Clay after all.

Ninehigh - 7/5/11 at 12:34 AM

quote:
Originally posted by morcus
I think it's a US conspiracy to Keep Henry Coopers passing out of the news, he did Floor Clay after all.

I'll run with that one, I heard that on the news before I went to bed, then Bin Laden the next morning. I posted the news on bookface but no-one said a thing

mr_pr - 7/5/11 at 06:18 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Ninehigh
quote:
Originally posted by morcus

I'll run with that one, I heard that on the news before I went to bed, then Bin Laden the next morning. I posted the news on bookface but no-one said a thing

Controversial

morcus - 7/5/11 at 06:43 AM

Simillar story for me, heard about Henry Cooper on here before bed, went to work and someone says to me, have you heard, he's dead.' so I said yeah, it's a real shame (Or words to that effect) then found out they were on about Bin Laden, then said 'Who's Henry Cooper?'.

It all adds up.