Board logo

Aerial Type ?
TimEllershaw - 9/9/11 at 11:37 AM

Anybody know what this is for ?

It was my late Father-in-law's. He was into aircraft, so could be related to plane radio scanner / tracker kit ? or maybe his posh HiFi ?

Aerial
Aerial

He also has something that looks like a piece of white plastic pipe, about 1.5 inch diameter and 6 foot long, with a length of coax coming out of one end. Can't see inside but looks to have a couple of small PCBs in there. I guess it is also some type of aerial. Any ideas ? (sorry not very much to go on ! )

Thanks,

Tim.

(all part of clearing out his sheds. yes plural - shedS ! filled with tools, RC aircraft, radio stuff, lathes, etc etc that one gathers over 65 years of life )

mookaloid - 9/9/11 at 12:24 PM

Yes its for a radio scanner can be used for listening to aircraft radio transmissions for instance.

No idea on the plastic pipe.

martin1973 - 9/9/11 at 12:28 PM

thats a discone, multi band receive antenna.
normally used on a multiband scanner.

the other white thing sound like some form of smart tuner, allows u to listern/transmit on different bands as it eletroicly simulates the antenna electrical lenth.
or it could be for 2.4ghz/12.5ghz (microwave) use for watching/listening to helicopters, wireless cameras.

[Edited on 9/9/11 by martin1973]

Litemoth - 9/9/11 at 12:30 PM

Looks like one of these things:

LINKY

TimEllershaw - 9/9/11 at 01:00 PM

Thank you, all very helpful !

ashg - 9/9/11 at 01:50 PM

just waiting for Geoff (wilkingj) he will know what the white dodar is for stick a picture of it up

iank - 9/9/11 at 03:41 PM

White plastic tube could be a prototype leaky feeder - I've seen those built into plastic pipes.

MikeR - 9/9/11 at 06:29 PM

my dad has a very locost version of that spikey thing. Basically a special ariel. If you want to give it away i'm sure my old man would use it - but ebay would be a good place to get rid of it and make some money..