Board logo

Selling My Dax Rush to so I can buy some speaker cables :)
rf900rush - 3/11/11 at 10:56 PM

Tried Selling My Dax Rush this year, with no luck.

If I had, I could buy some new speaker cables. LINKY

lewis - 3/11/11 at 11:19 PM

How can speaker cable be that expensive?!? Can you really tell the difference between the most expensive and the cheapest on there website?

PSpirine - 3/11/11 at 11:36 PM

No.

splitrivet - 4/11/11 at 12:08 AM

Perhaps the biggest load of snake oil this side of the black stump.
Cheers,
Bob

Autosri - 4/11/11 at 12:35 AM

fuck me thats plain stupid 7 grand for 5 meters of wire some people need help

coyoteboy - 4/11/11 at 01:18 AM

Just dig a little deeper and you'll find people trying to convince you that speaker cables can be directional. Yes, that's right, the AC signal that travels both ways by definition prefers one direction in a conductor.......just listen, only refined ears can hear it - you can hear it right?....

LBMEFM - 4/11/11 at 05:24 AM

I think they are a bargain, it has probally taken years of careful research and developement to construct these highly sophisticated cables. The manufacturing process in it's self is very expensive and I understand the profit margins are very small. At last a company that puts quality before cost on what is the F1 product in acoustic world. I would like to wish Dr Richard Bews (wasn't he in the Likely Lads in the 60's before he became a doctor) all the luck in the world with his hifi wires.

[Edited on 4/11/11 by LBMEFM]

LBMEFM - 4/11/11 at 05:52 AM

Only kidding

jeffw - 4/11/11 at 06:33 AM

quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
Just dig a little deeper and you'll find people trying to convince you that speaker cables can be directional. Yes, that's right, the AC signal that travels both ways by definition prefers one direction in a conductor.......just listen, only refined ears can hear it - you can hear it right?....

I would think the signal to a speaker is DC rather than AC. As with everything else in life this is the law of diminishing returns, is it worth 7K, well to some people it is. I have lowly Linn speaker cables from my Naim amps to my Ruark speakers and the cable 'only' cost £250 but it sounds amazing when you put a piece of vinyl on the Sondek. If I had lots of money and it was something I was really into then 7K wouldn't put me off as there is sound engineering reasons why this makes a difference. To a generation listening to compressed MP3 dgital files on their iPods this means nothing but to a audiophile it is the equivalent to a 599 GTO Ferrari, something to aspire to.

probablyleon - 4/11/11 at 07:31 AM

HiFi is one of the biggest rackets on the planet. The "this sounds amazing, can't you hear the difference you cloth eared muppet" scenario has made these people a fortune. Yes, £7000 cables wlll be better than £20 ones from Maplins but the difference would be a bit like making your car 1
2lbs lighter and then waxing lyrical about the transformation.

Agriv8 - 4/11/11 at 08:01 AM

No No No no no no whats the saying a fool and his money are easily parted

though on a similar vain - off to richer sounds at the weekend for a new AV Amp

Richer Sounds - do you want a £70 Dvi cable with that sir .

Me - The amp is only £150 and DVI is digital So no I will use my £3 from Asda thanks, now do you want my £150 or not !

Richer sounds - but you may get data loss with a £3 cable

Me - Possibly but I can get a gigabit digital signal down a 15 year old cat 5 lan lead, I will take my chance and spend the £67 on somthing else. PS please take a look at the markup your company is buying the £70 DVI cable for ( I guess about £7 )?

Regards

Agriv8

Stott - 4/11/11 at 08:14 AM

Woah that's a couple of singles in a bit of braid with soldered ends

I'll make you 50m for £2k, and it'll be done by lunch if u want, even got the parts here lol

In reply to a previous post, audio signal is ac

Atb
Stott

bmseven - 4/11/11 at 08:26 AM

quote:
Originally posted by jeffw
quote:

I would think the signal to a speaker is DC rather than AC. As with everything else in life this is the law of diminishing returns, is it worth 7K, well to some people it is. I have lowly Linn speaker cables from my Naim amps to my Ruark speakers and the cable 'only' cost £250 but it sounds amazing when you put a piece of vinyl on the Sondek. If I had lots of money and it was something I was really into then 7K wouldn't put me off as there is sound engineering reasons why this makes a difference. To a generation listening to compressed MP3 dgital files on their iPods this means nothing but to a audiophile it is the equivalent to a 599 GTO Ferrari, something to aspire to.

^ What he said, some people listen and some people LISTEN

MikeRJ - 4/11/11 at 08:40 AM

quote:
quote:

I would think the signal to a speaker is DC rather than AC.

Its AC, speakers don't work well with DC since the cone has to be moved in both directions. In fact any decent amplifier will have protection circuitry to ensure DC never gets to the speaker since it could burn the voice coil out very quickly.

splitrivet - 4/11/11 at 08:54 AM

quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
quote:
quote:

Its AC, speakers don't work well with DC since the cone has to be moved in both directions. In fact any decent amplifier will have protection circuitry to ensure DC never gets to the speaker since it could burn the voice coil out very quickly.

^ What he said, this thread just goes to prove you can fool some of the people....
Cheers,
Bob

coyoteboy - 4/11/11 at 09:53 AM

quote:

Sorry, but as said above, you'd be wrong. Directional cables are snake oil, pure and simple.

Quality cables, of course, will affect signal output to some degree but not much beyond a "normal" quality level. I'd happily test any cable you send to me to assess the signal degradation along it to prove the point

probablyleon - 4/11/11 at 10:07 AM

quote:
Originally posted by bmseven
quote:
quote:

I spend most of my life 'listening' in various studios and I'm certainly not immune to spending money (where it counts) in my own project studio; Neumann mics, Neve preamps etc etc but speaker cable?!? I think it would be impossible to truly tell the difference between standard 'good quality' speaker cable and anything more expensive. As for expensive digital cables, there was something in a magazine a few years back where apparently they managed to successfully make wet string work!

jeffw - 4/11/11 at 10:22 AM

Yeap....obvious brain damage in old age. As an electronic engineer I know loudspeaker speaker signals are AC in nature. I wasn't defending directional cable but rather suggesting that quality components, well designed, will produce better results than cheap end of the market. As I said it is diminishing returns.....

Macbeast - 4/11/11 at 10:27 AM

Just remember that the best speakers give 10% distortion, electrical to air pressure

If you have a 50' run from amp to speaker you might want to use thicker cable to reduce power loss and HF roll off.
Otherwise, spend your money on a street girl ( they fake it too )

Edit after actually looking at the site:

A £ 250 mains lead will make all the difference though

[Edited on 4/11/11 by Macbeast]

Agriv8 - 4/11/11 at 01:09 PM

quote:
Originally posted by probablyleon
quote:
Originally posted by bmseven
quote:
quote:

I spend most of my life 'listening' in various studios and I'm certainly not immune to spending money (where it counts) in my own project studio; Neumann mics, Neve preamps etc etc but speaker cable?!? I think it would be impossible to truly tell the difference between standard 'good quality' speaker cable and anything more expensive. As for expensive digital cables, there was something in a magazine a few years back where apparently they managed to successfully make wet string work!

A BT engineer once said they can get digital over a peice of damp string in fact a large number of you lot in BT land are getting high speed internet over 10 - 15 year old crimped together copper.

Regards

Agriv8

Mr Whippy - 4/11/11 at 02:18 PM

Just hilarious, obviously some folk have never heard of the Emperors new clothes

Honestly the stuff people waste money on, god knows how they still have any left?

jeffw - 4/11/11 at 03:00 PM

Pretty sure I would be wasting my time talking about high end audio equipment on a forum which has as its central premise building a sports car for £250.

jeffw - 4/11/11 at 03:03 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Agriv8

A BT engineer once said they can get digital over a peice of damp string in fact a large number of you lot in BT land are getting high speed internet over 10 - 15 year old crimped together copper.

Regards

Agriv8

There is an enormous difference between a digital signal (and no damp string wouldn't do it) over copper or fibre and an Analogue signal between an amplifier and a set of speakers.

Agriv8 - 4/11/11 at 03:11 PM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Agriv8

Regards

Agriv8

There is an enormous difference between a digital signal (and no damp string wouldn't do it) over copper or fibre and an Analogue signal between an amplifier and a set of speakers.

Totaly agree ang have some good stuff wiring up my speakers ( not quite £250 ).

but I happy hooking up my PC through my AV amp using a £3 DVI cable so can pull 5.1 sound of the DVI before firing the picture up to the Flat pannel TV

regards

Agriv8

coyoteboy - 4/11/11 at 03:37 PM

quote:

Pretty sure I would be wasting my time talking about high end audio equipment on a forum which has as its central premise building a sports car for £250.

Made me grin, but doesn't mean people don't know what they're talking about or are not willing to spend money where it matters.

Ninehigh - 4/11/11 at 04:11 PM

quote:
quote:

Made me grin, but doesn't mean people don't know what they're talking about or are not willing to spend money where it matters.

True, and if you can hear £7000 difference then by all means pay for it. But I'd rather have the Dax and with the change I'd be able to buy ONE GALLON OF GAS!

coyoteboy - 4/11/11 at 04:16 PM

quote:

True, and if you can hear £7000 difference then by all means pay for it. But I'd rather have the Dax and with the change I'd be able to buy ONE GALLON OF GAS!

Agreed, completely

MikeRJ - 4/11/11 at 04:48 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Macbeast
Just remember that the best speakers give 10% distortion, electrical to air pressure

Exactly! People spend thousands on exotic cables, super high end amplifier and sources, but seem to ignore the fact that the speakers are by far the most non-linear components in the entire system. Even the most expensive speakers available will cause vastly more colouring of the sound than the amplifiers and cables. Especially when said speakers are put into a finite sized room.

No doubt if you could actually build a perfect sound reproduction system, the audiofools would claim it sounded too 'clinical', and lacks the warmth of xxx system. i.e. they like a bit of distortion.

[Edited on 4/11/11 by MikeRJ]

theduck - 4/11/11 at 05:09 PM

I love threads like this. Peoples are opinions are often very strong, and often mis-informed one way or another.

I used to work in this industry, and yes some of the mark ups are huge, and yes most definately some things are not worth the extra above others.

I wont get into the arguments, but will make these points:

Speaker cable is often sold as directional, and according to manufacturers it is to do with the way the wire is extruded... They also say that if used the wrong way round it will quickly become accustomed to being used that way, so is unimportant.

Interconnects are often directional, and this is to do with the way the shielding is connected.

When selecting componets for a hi-fi system, the priorty order for quality is:

Source (CD, tuner, turntable)
Pre-amplifier
Power amplifier
Speakers
Interconnects
Speaker cable
Mains

This order is used as no matter how good something further down the chain is, it cant replace what is already lost. I ran for some time a pair of £200 speakers on a system that retailed at nearly £5000 (I paid no where near that!), why didnt I replace them? Because the sound was fantastic! When I did eventually replace them, to quote an overused industry term, it was like a sheet had been lifted from infront of the speakers. Only problem was it revealed the the weakness that was my pre-amp, something that had been masked by the 'poorer' speakers

I'll stop now, I'm waffling.

jeffw - 4/11/11 at 05:19 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Ninehigh
quote:
quote:

The point I would make is that what you think is worth £7k or not isn't relevant. In this instant the company concerned are doing very nicely, thank you, so your value judgement isn't important. As with most things of this type (be it kitcars or £7K speaker cable) you have two things, the disposable income and the 'need' or 'want'. Just because you (and I) can't afford it and wouldn't even if we could doesn't matter as I'm sure the same has been said by someone of my Phoenix or your Dax. Esoteric HiFi is a world of its own (like kitcars) I'd just let those with the money get on with it. If you ever come across an Audiophile with the disposable income to buy items like this (and I know one or two) then take the chance to sit down and listen to the music, which is what is is all about at the end of the day, you will be amazed I'm sure.