Board logo

Hand Cream Recommendations
907 - 12/3/12 at 07:05 AM

A bit of a wimps question this one.

My hands over this winter have got in a right state. The skin on my palms is so rough I can sharpen a pencil on them.
My finger tips are not any better and tend to crack, some times to the point of bleeding, so I guess I should be using
some sort of moisturizing cream on them. Unfortunately giving up work isn't an option.

I've had a browse on the net and the name "Rozalex" comes up, both as a barrier cream and as an after work cream
called "Xworx". They use the term "Industry Standard" in their adverts.

Does anyone use this stuff, or know of a better product?

Thanks in anticipation,
Paul G

cliftyhanger - 12/3/12 at 07:33 AM

I have used that neutragena (sp??) Norwegian formula stuff. was better than a couple of others I have tried. But do get the handcream, they do another version that is "thinner" and not as effective.
The Mrs suffers with sore hands and cracked skin, and has tried just about everything including what the quack has prescribed. She uses the above.

philhoward - 12/3/12 at 07:34 AM

Try Lotil. You can get it from Boots.

It is one of the best creams I have ever used.

liam.mccaffrey - 12/3/12 at 07:35 AM

I suffer like this too, usually through the winter. there is a beauty treatment where they put your hands in oil and then encased them in molten wax. its actually very pleasant and really helped my hands.

I use the Norwegian cream which is good too

BenB - 12/3/12 at 07:36 AM

5 or 10% urea cream will do the trick nicely though a bit of topical steroid (you can get eumovate over the counter specifically for this) on the cracks. You might need to go for a stronger steroid which would need to be a prescription but try the 10% urea and eumovate first. Barrier cream's a good idea.

People often think your hands need lots of oils but it's not actually that true. The palms of the hands and fingers don't actually produce lots of oil so the skin's pretty used to it- that's why they're the only bit of the body (well I suppose the feet too but they're essentially hands!) which go wrinkly in the bath because the lack of oil makes them absorb water.

adithorp - 12/3/12 at 08:16 AM

quote:
Originally posted by cliftyhanger
I have used that neutragena (sp??) Norwegian formula stuff. was better than a couple of others I have tried. But do get the handcream, they do another version that is "thinner" and not as effective.
The Mrs suffers with sore hands and cracked skin, and has tried just about everything including what the quack has prescribed. She uses the above.

+1 on Neutragena. A good barrier cream helps as well, but they're a pain if your hands get wet while working. What soap do you use? I used to suffer with cracked hands but have had no problems this winter (or last) and haven't used either Barrier cream or moisturiser. I think it's that the latest soaps are a lot better. Years ago they were terrible using Swarfega.

HowardB - 12/3/12 at 08:26 AM

Atrixo is one that I use with good results,...

scootz - 12/3/12 at 08:28 AM

Another for Neutrogena!

40inches - 12/3/12 at 08:36 AM

quote:
Originally posted by BenB
5 or 10% urea cream will do the trick nicely though a bit of topical steroid (you can get eumovate over the counter specifically for this) on the cracks. You might need to go for a stronger steroid which would need to be a prescription but try the 10% urea and eumovate first. Barrier cream's a good idea.

My finger tips crack in the winter, I usually put a drop of superglue in the crack to seal it, this works well, but is this something
you would/not recommend Ben?

David Jenkins - 12/3/12 at 08:38 AM

Rozalex is excellent stuff to put on your hands BEFORE you start work - it used to be (maybe still is) the front-running barrier cream. Apart from that - I've used Neutrogena in the past, and it seemed to help.

Mind you, I've got softy computer-user hands, while Paul's have the texture of a builder's well-used leather gloves!

[Edited on 12/3/12 by David Jenkins]

scootz - 12/3/12 at 08:38 AM

quote:
Originally posted by BenB... that's why they're the only bit of the body (well I suppose the feet too but they're essentially hands!) which go wrinkly in the bath because the lack of oil makes them absorb water.

Every day's a schoolday!

BenB - 12/3/12 at 08:56 AM

quote:
Originally posted by 40inches
quote:

My finger tips crack in the winter, I usually put a drop of superglue in the crack to seal it, this works well, but is this something

Wouldn't worry about it in the slightest. Superglue bonds skin together well. Infact we used to use plain old superglue in A+E for tacking together people's scalps after being bottled. Works nicely. Anyone who has used superglue quickly realises it sticks together skin better than most things

stevebubs - 12/3/12 at 08:56 AM

quote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyanoacrylate

BenB - 12/3/12 at 08:57 AM

quote:
Originally posted by scootz
quote:
Originally posted by BenB... that's why they're the only bit of the body (well I suppose the feet too but they're essentially hands!) which go wrinkly in the bath because the lack of oil makes them absorb water.

Every day's a schoolday!

Cheeky

scootz - 12/3/12 at 09:00 AM

I honestly never knew that (and have occasionally wondered why my feet and hands go all wrinkly in the bath)

dhutch - 12/3/12 at 09:06 AM

quote:
My finger tips crack in the winter, I usually put a drop of superglue in the crack to seal it, this works well, but is this something you would/not recommend Ben?
They use superglue inplace of stiches for sticking back cuts. Invented by Kodak!

I use 'double base' as a general purpose non-sented mosteriser, which you ca get in tescos in a tube or 500ml pump top. But as said, half the battle is applying barrier cream or gloves beforehand! Something im still working in being good at.

Daniel

gttztt - 12/3/12 at 09:16 AM

When I am on site now, I use Marigold PX130 gloves which are brilliant. I was forced to use them on a building site and was seriously hacked off - Elf-n-safety gone mad etc BUT drilling into concrete/plasterboard and general work has made a huge difference to the condition of my hands. They still need to come off for the really fiddly stuff but otherwise they stay on permanently on site
Just wish I had used them years ago for wirelocking stuff on aircraft - I am sure they would have helped, especially in winter

40inches - 12/3/12 at 09:32 AM

quote:
Originally posted by stevebubs
quote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyanoacrylate

Thanks for that, good to know I am not slowly poisoning myself Interesting to see that rock climbers use it for the same purpose.

40inches - 12/3/12 at 09:34 AM

quote:
Originally posted by scootz
I honestly never knew that (and have occasionally wondered why my feet and hands go all wrinkly in the bath)

Only your feet and hands?

GeoffT - 12/3/12 at 09:40 AM

For those splits around the fingertips I use Germoline 'New Skin', it's like a thick acetone that you paint into the crack.

Can sting a bit for a second or two if the crack is really deep, but feels much more comfortable afterwards.

Don't those splits hurt though, when you catch them in your pockets, etc, and rip them open again.....

Peteff - 12/3/12 at 09:51 AM

quote:
Originally posted by GeoffT
For those splits around the fingertips I use Germoline 'New Skin', it's like a thick acetone that you paint into the crack.

My thumbs split at the nail joint and I tried superglue but it only sealed the crack so I tried the New Skin and it works a lot better. For your skin get some Dry Skin SOS off the Avon lady, it is brilliant, as good as Neutrogena you only need a tiny drop at a time. Rozalex is good stuff we used to use it when I was fettling and it makes tour hands easier to clean after a shift.

[Edited on 12/3/12 by Peteff]

wilkingj - 12/3/12 at 10:01 AM

Hmm..

I am diabetic so need to keep my feet in good condition. E45 cream works well for me on all parts.

Also use Vasseline intensive care, its reasonably good as a day to day cream.

I also use Avon Glycerine hand cream on my elbow which is dry and splits. (mainly thru elbows on a desk for a lot of the day). Its well oily!

Havent used Nutregena, but have heard good things about it.

At BT..... Rozzalex barrier cream was used by the cable gangs, and anyone else getting dirty (also for working on grease filled cables when jointing the wires). They also had a removal cream, but cant remember what it was (it was 25 years ago) Its good stuff. I have used it many times. Just work it in well until its absorbed.

Using Latex Gloves for prolonged periods, ie hours a day every day, can give you latex sensativity, which is not nice. So, use when necessary rather than for long periods regularly, unless you really have to.

I have used Germoline all my life, and its a good and well tried product.
Also Savlon, works well, and also use that.

Hope this helps.

designer - 12/3/12 at 10:20 AM

Before starting any job rub Vaselin into your hands.

gttztt - 12/3/12 at 10:21 AM

Forgot to mention that the Marigold gloves are Nylon and have dipped PU palms and fingers.

David Jenkins - 12/3/12 at 10:48 AM

quote:
Originally posted by wilkingj
Using Latex Gloves for prolonged periods, ie hours a day every day, can give you latex sensativity, which is not nice. So, use when necessary rather than for long periods regularly, unless you really have to.

I put on some latex gloves when I stripped my x-flow the first time, as I'd heard about all the problems with old engine oil, etc. I ended up in casualty after getting a major allergic reaction to the gloves! A pair of bright red and sore hands for my trouble.

However, it did explain why I used to come out in a really bad rash as kid, when I had an Elastoplast fabric plaster put on me - they used to use latex glue (not any more). Also, I used to get sore lips after the dentist did a filling - due to his latex gloves. Now he puts on nitrile gloves - and I always keep a box of those in my garage!

Useful info on those Marigold gloves - normal rubber gloves use latex, so it's good to hear about any type that use PU.

Agriv8 - 12/3/12 at 10:56 AM

quote:
Originally posted by designer
Before starting any job rub Vaselin into your hands.

Are we working in the garage or the bredroom Here

Use supper glue for Paper cuts and eldest lad got glued whey he tackled the plant pot instead of the football and smacked his eye socket AE 15 minutes assesed - cleaned dried and glued

regards

Agriv8

lsdweb - 12/3/12 at 12:01 PM

Neutragena Norwegian for me too!

And not a wimps question :-)

bartonp - 12/3/12 at 12:49 PM

Petroleum jelly BP - applied straight after washing.
Cheap. Works.

dhutch - 12/3/12 at 01:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins...nitrile gloves ...

I always but powerfree nitrile, cost more but are well worth it as they also dont rot with contact on oil.

Daniel

David Jenkins - 12/3/12 at 01:51 PM

quote:
Originally posted by dhutch
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins...nitrile gloves ...

I always but powerfree nitrile, cost more but are well worth it as they also dont rot with contact on oil.

Daniel

Not had that problem - but I get mine from the local GS&F place who sell them for garage mechanic use, so that brand may be oil-resistant anyway.

907 - 12/3/12 at 02:01 PM

Thanks for the enormous response. I'm gob smacked.

Since the most votes seem to be for Neutrogena I'll give that a go. The stuff in the pic, right?

I hope I won't end up smelling like a pox doctors clerk.

Cheers,
Paul G

Hand cream
Hand cream

Rod Ends - 12/3/12 at 04:02 PM

Neutrogena is too expensive - the main ingredients are water and glycerin.

Derma Intensive - 65p @ Tesco is just as good.

maccmike - 12/3/12 at 06:50 PM

quote:

People often think your hands need lots of oils but it's not actually that true. The palms of the hands and fingers don't actually produce lots of oil so the skin's pretty used to it- that's why they're the only bit of the body (well I suppose the feet too but they're essentially hands!) which go wrinkly in the bath because the lack of oil makes them absorb water.

No part of the skin absorbs water! Every part of the skin secretes sweat and natural moisturiser, especially the hands and feet, its a natural method for aiding grip as is the lack of hair. Im doing a degree on this. urea advice is good though.

maccmike - 12/3/12 at 06:54 PM

quote:
quote:

Super glue is ok for temp repair, it was invented for exactly this during the war. It will reduce healing ability though. your better off moisturising daily, E45 is a good'n thats not too aggressive. Ignore beauty products.

richard thomas - 12/3/12 at 07:18 PM

To be honest, i think most big brand hand creams are pretty effective, the trick is to use it A LOT!!!! keep on rubbing it in a few times a day, you cannot do it too many times...just one go with barrier cream before work and one with lotion after isn't enough if you are suffering....keep chucking it on them..

I use Nivea by the way...

van cleef - 12/3/12 at 08:06 PM

I work as a roofer in the north east of Scotland and with cracked skin on the hands there is an old , old remedy and instant relief of peeing on your own hands which they say is the most sterile thing to your own body. I could never get round to doing this peeing on ones hands as I have had cracked skin on most fingers during the winter weather.

The thing which I use if you promise not to laugh .........is cow udder cream which is used for the cows feeding there young and cows can get very sore around the udder area.

Maybe call me daft but my hands were in agony at the time and I got desperate until a local farmer let me in on his secret.

rusty nuts - 12/3/12 at 08:13 PM

How do you know what a pox doctors clerk smells like Paul?

OX - 12/3/12 at 08:30 PM

I'm a plasterer and have tried a lot of creams that are on the market ,my cracks seem to start from the inside ,the first warning sign is the tips get sore or the creases under my finger joints get sore ,a few days later there will be a split .So i'd end up with tape on most of my fingers just to stop the pain when i touched something .

The product you need is called Dream Cream and you buy it from Lush . I gave my roofing friend a nearly empty pot of the stuff and he also now promotes the stuff to all his mates . It has every essential oil in it and works to heal any breaks in the skin as well as moisturise ,with in 4 days my hands are as good as new and i can enjoy the benefits of picking stuff up again.

I use it twice a day and never get splits any more . £10 a pot and worth every penny .

If you ignore this advice then you're hands aren't that bad .I've had to have days off in the past and been close to tears with pain ,but not any more .

907 ,i have some left in a pot ,pm me your address and i'll send you it and you can see for your self . link

[Edited on 12/3/12 by OX]

trextr7monkey - 12/3/12 at 08:53 PM

I have a tub of DIPROBASE sitting onthe end of the bench at the moment as it came home in a massive bag of free samples with my wife one night -it is OK does the job, hits the locost button but is a bit on the greasy side.
For the previous 5 years I used a fantastic cream marketed by MSD called Unguentum Merck- (not sure of precise spelling)-it is very thick , soaks in quickly and has aslight medicated smell so you don't have athe whiff of the Avon Lady about your person, it can be obtained from Boots and most of the bigger chemists
hth
Mike

907 - 14/3/12 at 08:29 AM

quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
How do you know what a pox doctors clerk smells like Paul?

I have a vivid imagination Mel.

Many thanks for all the replies and I'll try them all in due course.

Cheers,
Paul G

Confused but excited. - 25/3/12 at 12:17 AM

I have used Diprobase for years and thought it was the best of the lot until my sister-in-law gave me some Dream Cream from Lush.
OK,have a good laugh but it is absolutely brilliant. Without doubt the best hand cream I have ever used.
Their thing called a Wiki Bar has stopped all the aching in my fingers from the arthritis/carpal tunnel problem. Use it once and it seems to work for the week so far. I can actually use a file again.

RK - 25/3/12 at 02:34 AM

How much time do you guys spend on the internet?!!

Ninehigh - 25/3/12 at 02:40 AM

quote:
Originally posted by RK
How much time do you guys spend on the internet?!!

Lets put it this way, I can type at 55wpm with just my left hand