Board logo

wood laser cutting?
dan_g8 - 28/4/12 at 12:00 PM

Hi, Can any one suggest a company that would offer an mdf cutting service? i need a few wooden parts cutting out of 3-5 mm MDF. I have a cad file that can be used for the template. I suppose that it doesn't have to be laser cut, may be cnc'd or water jetted?

Below is a pic of the part that need.

Thanks!

l0rd - 28/4/12 at 12:15 PM

laser cut or water jet on MDF do not think it will go down very well.

CNC would be the way to go.

sorry i cannot help with info on where to do it.

tegwin - 28/4/12 at 12:19 PM

quote:
Originally posted by l0rd
laser cut or water jet on MDF do not think it will go down very well.

CNC would be the way to go.

sorry i cannot help with info on where to do it.

You should be ok with the MDF and a laser cutter provided its setup properly :-)

David Jenkins - 28/4/12 at 12:25 PM

Does it have to be MDF? The reason I ask is that I've had stuff laser-cut in 3mm plywood in the past (it was specially prepared for laser cutting).

dan_g8 - 28/4/12 at 12:35 PM

Thanks for the replies, it doesn't have to be mdf, its for a print bed so as long as it is flat it should be fine.

l0rd - 28/4/12 at 12:59 PM

am i still thinking of the old days?

I need to keep up with tech.

ChrisW - 28/4/12 at 01:23 PM

I have a mate in Southampton that could do that for you. He's got a CNC mill which cuts MDF. I was there yesterday getting some bits done in 18mm so I know how effective it is. The only real limitation is that the bed is 720x600mm and being a mill the smallest radius it can cut internally is the thickness of the tool so all the concave sections of the design will have rounded corners.

Drop me a u2u if interested and I'll pass on his details.

Chris

mad4x4 - 28/4/12 at 04:57 PM

Why not use a jigsaw ?

plentywahalla - 28/4/12 at 06:59 PM

I used to do a lot of laser cutting of wood and MDF. Its not popular with laser profilers unless they have good extraction. The smoke (and there is a lot of it!) fogs up the lenses and mirrors unless it is well extracted. MDF particularly is high in glue and produces a highly resinous smoke.

If it can be done on a CNC router, I would go down that route.