Board logo

iphone 3gs
mad-butcher - 24/5/12 at 11:28 AM

help required, It's contract renewal time with t-mobile and basically I'm happy with the phone would like a 4s but I'm not prepared to pay £100 odd on top of £35+vat, 3 have a better deal phone is only £45, but more or less decided on going with 3's sim only all you can eat package,
so here's the question: how easy is it to take my iphone off t-mobile and put it on 3
also just read you can use your phone as a modem: hows that work

TIA
tony

dave - 24/5/12 at 11:32 AM

You need to get the phone unlocked from T-Mobile. This should be done free of charge if the contract is finished. I think the iphone 5 is due out later this year, so it might be worthwhile waiting then the 4s should be cheaper.

gdp66 - 24/5/12 at 11:34 AM

Once the phone is unlocked, take a look at http://giffgaff.com/

adrianreeve - 24/5/12 at 01:01 PM

+1 for giffgaff

Proby - 24/5/12 at 01:21 PM

Rather than jumping to gift gaff, it's worth speaking to your provider. I was going to make the jump when my iPhone contract on Vodafone finished, thinking 10/month until I really NEED a new phone rather than wanting one. When I phoned to cancel at the end of the contract, Vodafone offered me a better deal than gift gaff on a rolling 1 month contract. 600 mins, unlimited txt, 500 mb data for £10/month.
EDIT : I can spell giffgaff but my iPhone can't!

[Edited on 24/5/12 by Proby]

gdp66 - 24/5/12 at 01:49 PM

I agree vodafone retentions team, do very good deals to keep you.

wescottishmatt - 24/5/12 at 01:56 PM

I had the same issue a few months back. Mine was an O2 contract and when I asked O2 were going to give me equivalant money back for the 3G phone as the cost for the new 4 version.

Checked out ebay and found I could get more for the 3g than O2 offered and so sold it and made around £40 on top of the price of the new phone. O2 even sent me a pay as you go sim card for the old 3G phone.