Board logo

Playhouse for my daughter
McLannahan - 15/6/12 at 07:15 PM

I'd like to build a playhouse for my daughter for her birthday. She'll be two in mid August.

I'd like to build it to a smaller budget and our garden is only small so a palace would dwarf the house!

I've seen a few free plans online but nothing that takes my fancy yet!

Has anyone any top tips, advice or links?

tegwin - 15/6/12 at 09:32 PM

Have you asked her what she would like?! As she is the client I would pay very great attention to what she has to say! :-p

If I were building a playhouse it would have to have the sensible stuff like a table and chairs, but also an escape hatch with slide and swing :p

D Beddows - 15/6/12 at 11:05 PM

As Tegwin says 'ask the client' - although a 2 that can be a problem I know what I'd build for my 2 year old but I know what HE enjoys doing, your daughter may well be completely different!

Jake likes a bit of danger so it would be a playhouse with a swinging door and windows/hatches on the side but with a mezzanine deck with various ladders, steps, climbing holds to get up to it and various slides, poles, ropes etc to get down.......lol I should do it really

blakep82 - 15/6/12 at 11:15 PM

little girls love princesses and pink castles! might be a start lol
i don't know, best place to start is with her, not us blokes

richmars - 16/6/12 at 08:11 AM

A few years ago I build one for my son, just out of 1"x1" frame and covered it in cheap tongue and groove, painted in cheap outdoor paint. The base was a bit stronger, but he's out grown it, and it's now with it's second owner. The t+g distorted a bit, but nothing that couldn't be fixed.

McLannahan - 16/6/12 at 09:14 AM

Thanks chaps!

God you lot would be rubbish in a surprise party! What sort of surprise party would you like daughter?

She is too young to ask really and as I said, it's a surprise!

I'll take a trip down to the timber yard this morning and see what they hold!

Thanks all

Peteff - 16/6/12 at 04:48 PM

Just buy a new washing machine and save her the box, she'll play in it for hours and when she's fed up of it you recycle it

perksy - 16/6/12 at 05:46 PM

How about a castle ? or a Log cabin type design ? or house that looks like its covered in sweets ?

D Beddows - 16/6/12 at 05:52 PM

2 year olds have no terms of reference to know what a 'castle'/ 'Princess Palace' or anything else is really...they just want to explore the world so I would say include lots of things to do and explore not just build something that looks like anything you recognise as a 'playhouse'

jacko - 16/6/12 at 06:41 PM

Buy a shed and fill it with soft toys like they have in garden centers and a ball pool that kind of thing
paint it bright colours and when She getts to old you have a shed to use your self

[Edited on 16/6/12 by jacko]

Steve Hignett - 16/6/12 at 08:58 PM

I'm gonna build something along the lines of this for Josef, Pants...

http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/280743546907?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&adtype=pla

McLannahan - 16/6/12 at 09:04 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Steve Hignett
I'm gonna build something along the lines of this for Josef, Pants...

http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/280743546907?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&adtype=pla

I'd like this sort of thing I think Pants?

http://www.shedstore.co.uk/garden-playhouses/walton-wooden-playhouses/snug/walton-snug-playhouse-4-by-4

Local timber place ( across the road local)sadly has a poor selection of cladding. Went to BQ this afternoon and they have better, slightly cheaper too!

I'm thinking of something similar to what RichMars suggested earlier? Basic frame and then T&G cladding.

One you listed looks great but I think a bit too complex for me and Gwendy! You going to start that soon?

David Jenkins - 16/6/12 at 09:31 PM

You could try this American site (although some of the links don't work, many do)

Absolutely Free Plans

Steve Hignett - 16/6/12 at 10:59 PM

quote:
Originally posted by McLannahan
I'd like this sort of thing I think Pants?

http://www.shedstore.co.uk/garden-playhouses/walton-wooden-playhouses/snug/walton-snug-playhouse-4-by-4

Local timber place ( across the road local)sadly has a poor selection of cladding. Went to BQ this afternoon and they have better, slightly cheaper too!

I'm thinking of something similar to what RichMars suggested earlier? Basic frame and then T&G cladding.

One you listed looks great but I think a bit too complex for me and Gwendy! You going to start that soon?

To be honest, I wasn't going to bother using Plans, Pants.
Well, only ones that I'd draw up for myself to do cutting lists from etc...
It's just a shed on stilts, with a stronger, strucural floor, ladders and a slide. But still just a shed really...

The only reason I haven't done it is because of room - it'll be for Mum n Dad's house, but they don't want one...

I think it would be an absolute piece of pee to build to be fair, and one of the kits would be a 2 second job - (ie it'd take about 3 hours total).

owelly - 16/6/12 at 11:35 PM

I built a playhouse for my son. It cost about £200 in materials but that was 5 years ago and he's now upgraded to a tree house. His sister has inherited the play house. Its a simple pent roof thing with perspex windows, t&g boards. Sterling board floor and roof, topped with felt. She spends hours in there selling stuff over the stable-door, having picnics in it and hiding from her brother.
The next plan for the playhouse will be to put it on stilts with a ladder and slide.