Board logo

Moving fish?
JeffHs - 9/7/12 at 08:59 AM

Nowt to do with cars, but I don't know a better source of knowledge than this forum, so..
Does anyone have any experience of moving big Koi carp? I put a tiny one in my pond years ago and now it's a monster and far too big for my little pond. I would like to re-home it to a mate's pond but it's several hours drive away.
Is there a safe fish-friendly way of transporting it?

contaminated - 9/7/12 at 09:09 AM

If you speak to your local koi dealer they will have something. In the past I've used very well cleaned 10 litre paint tubs and plastis dustbins!

blakep82 - 9/7/12 at 09:13 AM

when i've bought fish they come by next day courier, in a big polystyrene box with a plastic bag with water in, and a knot. just like when you buy them.
ask the garden centre (if they sell fish) for a big bag they put them in when you buy fish, and put that in one of those plastic storage boxes to keep it still and help in case of leaks

roadrunner - 9/7/12 at 09:17 AM

I have always found that fish are better transported in newspaper surrounded by chips and S+V.
Sorry, I couldn't resist.

andy350z - 9/7/12 at 10:05 AM

If it keeps raining it'll soon be able to swim there!

stevegough - 9/7/12 at 01:44 PM

We once moved a large koi from southport to blackpool (maybe 25 miles) - it was about 14 inches long. - we put it in a 2ft 6 fishtank (abot half full) in the back of an audi estate and drove very steady (20 - 35 mph).... took a while, annoyed some following traffic (which is always good). We named him Nessie (corny!) and we kept him for several years afterwards, so it can't have bugged him too much.

The secret is in how much water you put in - too full, and - well - you know? too little and he's going to chafe some scales.

It was probably about an hour - you sound like you've got a longer trip.

jossey - 9/7/12 at 02:34 PM

try here for more info :O)

http://locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=170134