Board logo

Help - Need winter project i can do in the house?
MikeR - 16/8/12 at 09:38 PM

My second child is on its way and I need to find myself a birthday present from the misses. It occurs to me I've had about 5 hours in the garage over the last year so garage time is out of the question. I was wondering about a project for the winter.

The project needs to be something I can do in the house, perhaps an hour in an evening every few nights. Cost wise I've got a couple of hundred to start with and may be able to put a bit more in over the coming months.

I'd like something that when complete isn't going to sit on a shelf and be useless but if it looks nice then fair enough. It needs to be small enough that once I've finished working on it in an evening it will be easy to put away. Also needs to be (preferably) not going to contain anything that could harm a small child if they get their hands on it (again I appreciate this probably excludes 99% of projects so i'm happy to wave it).

Suggestions?

I did wonder about a quad copter but couldn't think what i'd do with it once built and they don't seem that cheap.
Megasquirt is a maybe but how practical is it to build like this & how long does it take, what does it cost?

I predict a Riot - 16/8/12 at 09:57 PM

Raspberry pi?

MikeR - 16/8/12 at 10:08 PM

but do what with it? I can buy one for 20 quid - so thats one evening covered doing the ordering and then ............?

steve m - 16/8/12 at 10:13 PM

Knitting ?

I predict a Riot - 16/8/12 at 10:13 PM

There's a whole community out there.

You can expand and programme it forever.

Do a google search and find the forums.

Alternatively have you thought about cooking?

It's very addictive and also something you can get little ones involved in.
My kids all are teenagers now and all three can cook really well because it's something we always did together.

ReMan - 16/8/12 at 10:21 PM

I always fancied doing one of these, or a coffee table/bookshelf version
Chuff

MikeR - 16/8/12 at 10:41 PM

quote:
Originally posted by I predict a Riot
There's a whole community out there.

You can expand and programme it forever.

Do a google search and find the forums.

Alternatively have you thought about cooking?

It's very addictive and also something you can get little ones involved in.
My kids all are teenagers now and all three can cook really well because it's something we always did together.

My Oldest is 14 months & will be 17 months when the new baby arrives. The plan is to do the 'hobby' after the babies have gone to bed. Cooking will be something we'll do in a few years time

Bare - 17/8/12 at 02:02 AM

Well there's always DIY Home Brewing :-)

Or try these: http://www.parkjets.com/free-plans/
These: ? http://www.zioprudenzio.it/fok-air.html

Both are addictive though.

[Edited on 17/8/12 by Bare]

mad4x4 - 17/8/12 at 06:44 AM

Or Microcontrollers both of these are under £20

Ardiuno http://www.arduino.cc/

Launchpad = TI Launchpad

- Gives you access to ROBOTS

Launchpad BIPED

pajsh - 17/8/12 at 06:50 AM

Before I decided to build a kit car when my kids were small I spent my evenings building model cars.

OK they may just sit on the shelf but I really enjoyed making them and they are always admired. Very absorbing and stress relieving.

Only trouble is I've had to build 4 cabinets to put them in.

Only buy Tamiya though. I've tried others and none are as good

Moved on to other things too.

Slimy38 - 17/8/12 at 06:54 AM

I know I'm going to get really mocked, but I have to say at the ripe old age of 38 I still enjoy Lego Technics. I've got three large kits (and a fourth arriving at Christmas), and they all give me the same satisfaction as they did when I bought them. They're not overly cheap anymore (£100+ is typical), but for someone who wants to build a real car they're good fun. And while my wife may not agree, I think they look really good when they're built up.

This is my favourite;

Technic Lego Set 8880 - Super Car - Complete | eBay

Obviously the small bits aren't child friendly, but they do have the advantage of being future kiddies Christmas presents... although I'm not convinced I'll be able to let them go!

pajsh - 17/8/12 at 07:13 AM

You could always build a Lotus 7 kit car! (Tamiya 1 1/12 scale die cast)

Probably for under £250!!

Norfolkluegojnr - 17/8/12 at 07:48 AM

Computers?

i've recently had a new addition (now nearly 6 months, time is flying) and garage time is somewhat at a premium (although i did sneak in for an hour last night).

I started building my own PC which is similar sense of satisfaction to mechanics but simpler. It can be as cheap or expensive as you want, you can even use second hand parts if necessary.

i'm working on a multimedia pc at the moment to be connected to the TV. Everyone benefits in the long run, and it can always be sold on to pay for a new project.

just a thought!

matt_gsxr - 17/8/12 at 08:04 AM

Megasquirt won't take you more than about 5 hours to build.
Maybe another 10 learning about how it works.
More time to build the loom and get it all installed, but that is going to be garage time.

Either way, it won't see you through a winter.

r1_pete - 17/8/12 at 08:08 AM

How about restoring an old guitar, electric or acoustic, then learn to play it.....

[Edited on 17/8/12 by r1_pete]

Daddylonglegs - 17/8/12 at 08:32 AM

Same as pajsh, but I only build Racing cars and bikes, still Tamiya though, Hasegawa are another top brand but not much choice in cars/bikes. Not quite got the collection like that though, only got about 16 cars and a couple of bikes.

What about a train set?

liam.mccaffrey - 17/8/12 at 10:06 AM

Well I for one absolutely love playing with lego. Its one of my favourite things to do!

quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
I know I'm going to get really mocked,

liam.mccaffrey - 17/8/12 at 10:08 AM

Great idea, or alternatively build one from a kit you might even get it in under £250

quote:
Originally posted by r1_pete
How about restoring an old guitar, electric or acoustic, then learn to play it.....

[Edited on 17/8/12 by r1_pete]

Irony - 17/8/12 at 10:17 AM

Xbox - job done

MikeR - 17/8/12 at 11:30 AM

xbox - you assume i can get infront of the TV. The remote seems to have a feature called "soaps" ....

Irony - 17/8/12 at 11:38 AM

quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
xbox - you assume i can get infront of the TV. The remote seems to have a feature called "soaps" ....

Funny - you must have the same model as me

adrianreeve - 17/8/12 at 11:58 AM

Google reprap - fun to build and useful at the end!

AndyW - 17/8/12 at 12:06 PM

how about a stirling engine, loads of diferent kits or a scratch build.

TimC - 17/8/12 at 12:11 PM

You can do my wiring loom if you like?

mds167 - 17/8/12 at 12:34 PM

How about home audio?
Amps, speakers, CD players...
It can be quite locost and the benefits are great!
Take a look at www.diyaudio.com. (other fora are available)
There are plenty of basic kits or you can start from scratch.
A mate of mine has been quietly building amps, pre-amps, headphone stages and DACs over the last 10 years while his kids have been growing up.
Modding my old Marantz CD63 with a few op amps and vibration reducing mateirals was well wirth it and hardly cost anything.

wilkingj - 17/8/12 at 01:31 PM

Become a Radio Ham.
The Foundation licence is so easy 8 year olds pass it in a day.
The Intermediate licence is a full weekend of study.
The full licence is still quite a lot of work.

Its an inside hobby.
It has kept me interested for 31 years.
You can pick it up and put it down whenever you like (except during an actual conversation!!)
The only outside work is putting up some simple aerials. (I use a single piece of wire to talk all over the world!)
You dont need a 40ft Mast and Jodrel Bank mounted on top, unless you are a nutter like me.. and Yes , I have one of those, and a 4ft and a 6ft dish antenna as well. But then me, the wife and both my boys are all licensed!

You can learn, you can operate, you can build (all or just one!)
You can make it as simple and as cheap or as expensive as you want.
There are lots of cheap and small and easy kits to build, from a few quid.
It can be very rewarding to make something then actually use it to communicate with someone. Especially if its something very simple (and cheap is good to!).

You can talk to, and even meet up with other local people. We have a local meeting in a pub once a month. a Pie n Pint night!
Usually a good social bunch of people.

I am currently playing with Morse code, which I learned 30 years ago and never used (now getting my speed back up). I am talking to people all over Europe and Scandinaia with just 5 watts of power and a piece of wire draped around the garden (hung off the House to a pole to a tree)
Its also good when they say they have 400 watts power and a XYZ (read expensive antenna), and I'm making the trip on 5W and a bit of wire.. I love that!

So give it some thought.

U2U me if you want some websites and info.

Hope you find something to interest you.
BTW... there are several Hams on LCB!!

hughpinder - 17/8/12 at 03:03 PM

If you like making stuff, get this!

Unimat SL 1000 Watchmakers Lathe | eBay

I know it says 'watchmakers' lathe, but you can make clocks, small ic engine/steam engines/stirling engines etc with one. I know a gunmaker who uses this size of lathe. It will fit on a board about 2 ft square so can easily be a 'spare room' hobby rather than full workshop job.
Just remember - you can end up spending as much time just making new bits for the lathe as you do other stuff.
Regards
Hugh

Stott - 17/8/12 at 03:12 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Irony
quote:
Originally posted by MikeR

Funny - you must have the same model as me

Doesn't the soap button send you to the garage though? Mine does.

Seriously though mine is impossible sometimes, mostly she's great but now and then she wants to sit and watch a crap marathon on tv for 2 hrs and I'm expected to sit there too. If I want to go out the garage she feels like I "haven't been around much" but if I sit in front of the tv and open the laptop then I've been on the laptop "ignoring her" , I genuinely need to sit there doing faff all for her to be happy.

Needy much?

Rant over lol

As for the project can't you just bring bits of the car in to do, I do that if I can, keeps her quiet anyway. That is if you're allowed mucky bits in the house. Failing that ask for handcuffs for your birthday then cuff her to the sink and go out the garage, just a thought.

mds167 - 17/8/12 at 03:15 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Stott

Seriously though mine is impossible sometimes, mostly she's great but now and then she wants to sit and watch a crap marathon on tv for 2 hrs and I'm expected to sit there too. If I want to go out the garage she feels like I "haven't been around much" but if I sit in front of the tv and open the laptop then I've been on the laptop "ignoring her" , I genuinely need to sit there doing faff all for her to be happy.

Needy much?

That rings a bell! Had to watch an awful 'horror' film called Frozen last night. On the other hand, my daydreaming powers are getting stronger.

DIY Si - 17/8/12 at 03:36 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Stott

Doesn't the soap button send you to the garage though? Mine does.

Needy much?

Rant over lol

As for the project can't you just bring bits of the car in to do, I do that if I can, keeps her quiet anyway. That is if you're allowed mucky bits in the house. Failing that ask for handcuffs for your birthday then cuff her to the sink and go out the garage, just a thought.

I get this too. If I go to the garage I get told off for not spending any quality time with her. But if I stay in and watch some crap on the TV, we tend to sit at opposite ends of the sofa so we can both be comfortable, so it's not as if it matters anyway!! Bloody women.