Board logo

Combi Boiler Help
RickRick - 10/10/12 at 05:25 PM

My MIL has a Vaillant VCW 242e, currently it won't provide central heating, it's working fine for hot water, the thermostat is sending the request for ch to the boiler, the fan and pump runs, but nothing else.
we've had a plumber out who so far i trust, and he's said its the hydro block, and there's no new parts available. is this the same item as a water valve? i've done a bit of searching and not found any reference of hydro block, maybe it's just his term for it? if so it has been dripping very slightly from here for a long time. it looks like if it is that i could replace it myself, but i'm not sure if there's any adjustmeant or setting up required. i've emailed Valient for the manuals but not sure if they just send out to joe public

pmc_3 - 10/10/12 at 06:10 PM

Normally a sticking/faulty valve in the boiler. My parents had it the other way, wouldn't turn off!

jacko - 10/10/12 at 06:14 PM

Im not a heating Engineer, but when i son;s combi boiler did the same as yours it was the valve that moves from CH to hot water that had stuck.
He use to give it a tap with a small hammer and it was ok for a wile but in the end we stripped it and cleaned it out
Jacko

Just remembered its name it's a Divertor valve

[Edited on 10/10/12 by jacko]

Smartripper - 10/10/12 at 06:28 PM

Hello,

there is a valve inside the heating circuit that makes the switch between heating or hot water, you can try to dismantel the vallve and fit it again.

I have a manual but thats in Dutch : www.user-manual-search.com/Items/80/Vaillant_VC_VCW.pdf

parts manual in dutch and france: ww.vaillant.be/stepone2/data/downloads/11/02/00/et_vc_vcw.pdf

parts manual page 11 is the exploided view of the part, i dismanteld one before and cleaned it all then put together and it was working good.

Wort a try i think

ive you have any questions just ask me

greetings Daniel

gremlin1234 - 10/10/12 at 07:21 PM

a very quick search found this. (hope the link works since it has a line break in it ;-( )
http://www.acwilgar.co.uk/Boiler-Manual-PDF/Vaillant/Combi%20compact%20and%20thermocompact%20logical%20fault%20finding.pdf

test/section 2.4 I think is relevant.

[Edited on 10/10/12 by gremlin1234]

Heather - 11/10/12 at 03:09 PM

Hi,

I have asked our technical department for you, the part is a divertor valve and it is still available p/n 012684 but must stress that the replacement should be carried out by a gas safe engineer (your plumber)

Regards
Heather

jacko - 12/10/12 at 05:08 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Heather
Hi,

I have asked our technical department for you, the part is a divertor valve and it is still available p/n 012684 but must stress that the replacement should be carried out by a gas safe engineer (your plumber)

Regards
Heather

Can i ask why it has to be replaced by a [ Gas safe engineer ] when the divertor valve is on the water side of the boiler ?
Jacko

JoelP - 12/10/12 at 05:23 PM

quote:
Originally posted by jacko
quote:
Originally posted by Heather
Hi,

Regards
Heather

Can i ask why it has to be replaced by a [ Gas safe engineer ] when the divertor valve is on the water side of the boiler ?
Jacko

Any work on a gas appliance needs to be carried out by a gas safe engineer, whether or not the components involve gas.