Board logo

Cost to connect mains gas from street to property?
nick205 - 16/6/13 at 09:38 PM

Does anyone have any experience of cost for connecting mains gas from the street to a domestic property?

Gas main is in the pavement outside the gate and its a 30m run to where the gas would need to enter the house. Straight run across lawn and Tarmac drive way.

Does it have to be done by the gas carrier or there other suitable contractors?

owelly - 16/6/13 at 10:01 PM

It seems to depend on your utility supplier! I had to pay £5k to get a gas supply to a property because it had to cross a road and pavement. The utility company insisted that they/their contractor carried-out the ground work and pipeline. However on another job, they were happy for me to do the groundwork to their spec for them to come along and chuck the pipe in. That cost about £2500(+vat).

mark chandler - 16/6/13 at 10:11 PM

I think we paid around £500 we, dug the ditch to 450mm deep across the property and they charged for connection and meter.

Original quote was over £1000 for the ground works along, purchased a narrow spade, no point in moving anymore dirt than you have to.

nick205 - 16/6/13 at 10:13 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mark chandler
I think we paid around £500 we, dug the ditch to 450mm deep across the property and they charged for connection and meter.

Original quote was over £1000 for the ground works along, purchased a narrow spade, no point in moving anymore dirt than you have to.

Now that's the approach I was hoping for!

No problem digging the trench.

morcus - 16/6/13 at 10:31 PM

You'd think it would be in their intrest to fit the pipe for free as once it's in they've got a constant source of income.

inkafone - 17/6/13 at 12:18 AM

Had a meter moved from inside the house to the outside wall - you don't have a choice on the contractor but as others do your own groundwork,took 1/2 an hour and saved about £200. Moving the meter cost about £600 and had to be paid well in advance.......................

BenB - 17/6/13 at 11:20 AM

We had to have gas connected to our house. There was a cast iron gas pipe coming up into the kitchen but it was capped off immediately after the valve. I was sorely tempted to uncap it and flip the valve and listen for hissing but my wife wouldn't let me (shouldn't have told her!) and when we rang British Gas they said this would have been very dangerous and they would send someone out. So the engineer came out, took the cap off, turned the valve, no hissing, had a smell of the pipe and said "that's never been connected at the other end" At least they did that bit for free!

I ended up digging the 6 foot ditch to the pavement (I think they said it had to be 2 foot deep), they dug up a couple of pavement slabs and dug down a few foot and all in all it cost me about 500. They did turn up with an white plastic box which they wanted to put on the front of our house despite it being a Grade II listed property (in a conservation area to boot) and said they'd have to reschedule (when I pointed out that there was no way that would be allowed) but we compromised, I got out my nice new SDS drill and a 40mm core drill and drilled a hole into the utility room and they did the rest.

It was all quite interesting- they showed me the diagrams of the gas network which showed in the road outside our street is one of the largest bore gas pipes used in the UK! Just hope it never leaks- I can't remember the exact diameter but it was a wopper! Probably supplies most of North London!

jossey - 17/6/13 at 11:35 AM

mine cost £2400 for gas
£9000 for electric

but this was 480 ft from connection on the road and the road needed digging up and closing.

Was an extreme example.

jps - 17/6/13 at 01:20 PM

I looked into this recently and thought that it was a set cost as long as the boundary of your property was within 23 metres of the gas main. The price varies depending if you want them to excavate/backfill for you and if you want them to come under or over 40m onto your property but none of the quoted prices go over £1000...

http://www.nationalgrid.com/NR/rdonlyres/D102541F-AE7F-4A3C-A5D4-FB7FF349C484/59753/CSCD_Dec12_Final_UpdatedFPV.pdf

nick205 - 17/6/13 at 01:26 PM

Thanks all - useful info.