Board logo

Hypnotherapy, does it work?
steve m - 26/9/13 at 08:23 PM

I, have a problem. that is beyond medicine doctors etc, and wonder if Hypnotherapy could be the answer ??

Confession, time, I bite my nails, and apart from the soreness I cause my self, my pinkys do not look to clever!!

Steve

mookaloid - 26/9/13 at 08:32 PM

I guess that you don't realise that you are doing it until it's too late? can't you get something that tastes horrid to put on your nails - That way it will make you notice that you are doing it and hopefully stop?

Hypnotherapy might be worth a go - I don't see that you have a lot to lose

steve m - 26/9/13 at 08:38 PM

M8

On the nail !! (pun)

"I guess that you don't realise that you are doing it until it's too late?"

normally, after a day at work, relax, beer, or a couple! and BAM,

"All the nails are gone, and the sky is grey"
California dream............................................

next day, BOLLOX

jacko - 26/9/13 at 08:41 PM

There is or was something you can put on kids thumbs to stop / put them off sucking it get it from the chemist

mookaloid - 26/9/13 at 08:49 PM

put plasters on your finger ends - or wear gloves

perksy - 26/9/13 at 09:13 PM

Mustard or Bovril etc. Anything you don't like the taste of

steve m - 26/9/13 at 09:19 PM

Ive tried the chemist stuff, CRAP
ive tried willpower, CRAP
ive tried gloves/mitts but it stops me wanki................

hhahaha, sorry!! my humour

trikerneil - 27/9/13 at 04:57 AM

quote:
Originally posted by steve m
ive tried gloves/mitts but it stops me wanki................

Doesn't have to be boxing gloves.

My Dad tried it (the hypnotherapy not the gloves thing) years ago, got him off the fags for a while.

HTH

Neil

joneh - 27/9/13 at 06:28 AM

You need to keep your hands busy, so you don't bite.

I think you should start smoking. You'd look really cool smoking.

benchmark51 - 27/9/13 at 06:41 AM

Try scratching your backside, it will soon put you off nail biting!

ReMan - 27/9/13 at 07:17 AM

Sorry for the serious answer , but yes it might.
I'd give it 50/50 cahnce as it depends very much on the individual

Slimy38 - 27/9/13 at 07:18 AM

The only hypnotherapy I know about is for people who stop smoking (and stage shows). It does have a remarkable success rate though, so it's definitely worth a try.

I had a friend who tried the foul tasting nail varnish when she was a kid, she actually got to like the taste of it...

Norfolkluegojnr - 27/9/13 at 08:03 AM

quote:
Originally posted by joneh
You need to keep your hands busy, so you don't bite.

I think you should start smoking. You'd look really cool smoking.

This.

stevebubs - 27/9/13 at 08:51 AM

If you're anything like me, you do it when distracted or bored....do you have anything you could use to keep your fingers busy with instead? e.g. keyring with puzzle on it....

liam.mccaffrey - 27/9/13 at 09:29 AM

I must have eaten too much cheese as a child as it hurts my teeth too much to bite my nails.

Take up fingertsyle guitar, you need the fingernails on the string hand to be long. Only downside is the fretting hand need them really short so it would only stop you from biting one hand.

scudderfish - 27/9/13 at 11:42 AM

Every time you catch yourself doing it, punch yourself hard in the nethers. Tell others to do it if they see you doing it. You'll soon learn

steve m - 27/9/13 at 12:12 PM

Good replies!

Its a disgusting habbit, and a few years back I gave up for 5 ish years, and felt so much beter for it
how or why I started again, I do not know

Steve

black fingernail - 27/9/13 at 03:55 PM

My mum got something called 'bitter aloes' to put on my brothers nails, it is evil tasting, so might work.

Mr Whippy - 27/9/13 at 04:17 PM

Why not just cut and sand you nails back with a nail file so there is nothing to bite? Would take only a minute each day to do that, I have to keep mine super short as they tear very easily which is very painful as they tear past the nail bed.

Rod Ends - 27/9/13 at 04:20 PM

Get yourself a pair of nail clippers, trim your nails regularly and there will be nothing to bite.

02GF74 - 28/9/13 at 01:58 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Rod Ends
Get yourself a pair of nail clippers, trim your nails regularly and there will be nothing to bite.

the locost solution is not to spend money on the clippers and just bite them ....oh hang on, I see a problem here ......

Ninehigh - 28/9/13 at 02:00 PM

quote:
Originally posted by scudderfish
Every time you catch yourself doing it, punch yourself hard in the nethers. Tell others to do it if they see you doing it. You'll soon learn

This