Board logo

Sealing asbestos / cement garage roof ?
jacko - 26/10/13 at 03:16 PM

Hi all as it's coming up to winter and i have not replaced the garage roof as i promised my self i would this year i have been looking for suggestions what to seal the roof with.
I have been looking on Google and someone suggests using block drive sealer
As it happens i have 15lts of this in the garage so what do you good people think to using this
Good idea
or bad idea ?
Jacko
PS i know about asbestos been dangerous to breath in

Krismc - 26/10/13 at 03:45 PM

First of all the cement base asbestos is very low asbestos content and the particles are the safer type.

As for protection use PVA glue and white paint this will stop the particles from being light enough to float in the air.

jacko - 26/10/13 at 04:05 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Krismc
First of all the cement base asbestos is very low asbestos content and the particles are the safer type.

As for protection use PVA glue and white paint this will stop the particles from being light enough to float in the air.

This sounds good for the inside but im talking about the out side last winter all my tools / kitcar etc got wet though the asbestos has gone porous over the years
Jacko

Krismc - 26/10/13 at 04:34 PM

quote:
Originally posted by jacko
quote:

This sounds good for the inside but im talking about the out side last winter all my tools / kitcar etc got wet though the asbestos has gone porous over the years
Jacko

Use a decent masonary paint on outside it will stop fibres lifting.

Andybarbet - 26/10/13 at 04:36 PM

I dont think you've got anything to loose in trying it, apart from a bit of time.

We painted the inside of my dads garage roof with left over dulux weather sheild & it looks great ten years on, never even thought of anything on the outside but its definately watertight at the moment.

MakeEverything - 26/10/13 at 06:19 PM

quote:

I wouldnt put money on that. I would look to seal it with a bitumen paint to enclose the fibres and waterproof it. I would also paint the underside as well, as a matter of course to prevent any fibres inside from breaking free.

deezee - 26/10/13 at 06:21 PM

quote:

As a furnace professional, working with asbestos in old boilers and chemical works I can tell you that with regards to the fibres, there is no "Safer Type" There is the quite lethal type and the defiantly lethal type. Its like talking about "good cancer" its all horrid.

Anyway pet peeve over, excellent advice, PVA is an excellent sealer. Wet enough to go through a garden spray. If its not friable, then masonry paint is also good. I assume you're disposing of it next year so you needn't be worried about a long term solution.

Volvorsport - 26/10/13 at 07:33 PM

Expensive but you could paint it with latex. Then you can coat it with anything you like.

coozer - 26/10/13 at 07:35 PM

Fibreglass it? Then it'll last forever.. maybe..

Andi - 26/10/13 at 08:01 PM

I used car underseal on the inside of mine as it was starting to leak/crack and I had a few large tins lying about some years ago.
Its been excellent so far.

Andi

splitrivet - 28/10/13 at 08:03 PM

Leave it where it is, batten the outside with studding timber infill with roof insulation then use steel cladding on top of that.
Thats what I did with mine, garage is nice and warm now and no leaks.
Cheers,
Bob