Board logo

Unlocking an iphone 4s
CRAIGR - 25/11/13 at 09:04 PM

Got stiffed over with an iphone 4s on another forum i frequent and need to get it unlocked .
May also need a new screen fitted as its pretty scratched up (was supposed to be mint.
Any gurus on here ?

adithorp - 25/11/13 at 09:15 PM

Thought this was going to be yet another phone thread resurrection by a spammer.

Barkalarr - 25/11/13 at 09:52 PM

If it's out of contract just phone your sim provider and they can unlock it for you FOC.
I've done this for a mate a couple of weeks ago.

MakeEverything - 25/11/13 at 09:58 PM

Dont undertake the screen replacement yourself unless you have a full set of proper tools, a magnifying lens and plenty of patience.

IMO, the £50 or so to have it done by someone else is well worth the money.

T66 - 25/11/13 at 10:54 PM

Ive just recieved my text instructions from orange to unlock mine, if you u2 me your mobile i will tx you them.

No idea whether they will help you out. Involves plugging it into itunes with a usb, and a new sim card

Ivan

FazerBob - 25/11/13 at 11:19 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Barkalarr
If it's out of contract just phone your sim provider and they can unlock it for you FOC.

Cost depends on who it's locked to. I've just unlocked mine from 3 network. ~Cost was about £15, and entails getting a PAYG 3 simcard (foc), then logging in to i-tunes

T66 - 26/11/13 at 12:45 AM

quote:
Originally posted by FazerBob
quote:
Originally posted by Barkalarr

Cost depends on who it's locked to. I've just unlocked mine from 3 network. ~Cost was about £15, and entails getting a PAYG 3 simcard (foc), then logging in to i-tunes

Orange - £30 if you get them to do it, takes a month. Or DIY using itunes is free

whitestu - 26/11/13 at 07:58 AM

I just swapped a cracked screen on an HTC phone and it was quite easy - not sure how an iPhone compares. The only difficult bit was heating the glue to un-stick the screen form the case.

Depending on the software version you may be able to unlock the phone by jail breaking it.

Stu

adithorp - 26/11/13 at 08:54 AM

Craig, if you know Lee Champion he has a mate who'schanged the screen on his several times. I can u2u his number if you want.

jossey - 26/11/13 at 10:42 AM

Depend on the network.

Only the registered owner can ask the network to unlock it. Ask the guy on the other forum to help first.

Screens are about £40-50 fitted these days as mentioned. Don't do it yourself

Unlocking orange / t mobile is the most expensive at about £80-£100
O2 is about £20
Voda is £30 ish

If it is locked just sell it on and buy another.

I have a iphone 4 stuck on orange and needed a new screen I got the screen then realised it needed unlocking at £100 so I bought a iphone 5
So it's sat in a draw as a spare.

Good luck. You can jail break them to any network but can be a pain when apple being updates out. About 3 times a year it means lose all ye games or buy a backup app. £4

David

[Edited on 26/11/13 by jossey]

splitrivet - 26/11/13 at 12:31 PM

Fitting a new screen is a doddle, the screen with digitizer fitted and tools are £18 on the bay, dont buy just the front screen without the digitizer though.
If you follow the guide in the link below you wont have a problem. The only point to watch is as you feed the new screens ribbon cable through the phone keep it taught otherwise it will crimp as you fit it into the frame and dont completely remove the side screws when you take the old screen out just slacken them off. linky
Cheers,
Bob