Board logo

Orange mobil bill - help
puma931 - 13/1/14 at 09:10 AM

Can anyone confirm that if you send a text that is too long you get charged for a photo message?

On the Orange phone bill it appears as: Photo Message Photo n (in plan extras) 0:00:00 0.255 (cost)

Or does the above ONLY show when sending pictures

mcerd1 - 13/1/14 at 09:26 AM

haven't check mine for ages, but I'm pretty sure that if you send a long message you just get charged for 2 instead of one, but it'll depend on how your phone sent it....

my ancient phone deals with long texts as multiple SMS's at 160 characters each (at little counter at the top tells me how many messages I've used - my record so far is 25 in one go and that nearly killed the brand new galaxy 3 it was sent to :lol: )
but if I wrote the message out in the note pad thing and attached it to a message it would get sent as one MMS (the same kind that photo's get sent on)

if you've got a fancy new phone I guess it may decide to convert a long message into a MMS without telling you

puma931 - 13/1/14 at 09:40 AM

The phone is a galaxy ace

mcerd1 - 13/1/14 at 09:47 AM

^^All I can suggest is to go back through your sent messages and look at the one in question
(I can't tell you much about Android phones, I'm still using Symbian 60 )

[Edited on 13/1/2014 by mcerd1]

puma931 - 13/1/14 at 10:25 AM

Just realised when you go over 200 characters it is sent as MMS!

Shorty - 13/1/14 at 10:40 AM

That's strange. I have a galaxy s3 and no matter how long the text is it goes as multiple texts. I don't think it should be going as a picture

mcerd1 - 13/1/14 at 10:41 AM

I've just been told that most HTC's give you a choice once you go over the limit

maybe you just have to set it in the preferences on the samsung....

scimjim - 13/1/14 at 11:14 AM

I've heard that some companies charge texts as MMS if they contain emoticons?

JoelP - 14/1/14 at 07:06 AM

On my galaxy s3, on 3, if I go over 2 messages (320 characters) then it is sent as an mms.

scimjim - 14/1/14 at 07:34 AM

quote:
Originally posted by scimjim

Here you go - non-standard emoticons or some apps like FB: Orange

O2 do the same - O2

[Edited on 14/1/14 by scimjim]

scimjim - 14/1/14 at 07:50 AM

quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
On my galaxy s3, on 3, if I go over 2 messages (320 characters) then it is sent as an mms.

my teenage son tells me that you can force it to stop this in message settings? apparently if you send a single text to multiple recipients some phones/providers will also change it to MMS?

mcerd1 - 14/1/14 at 08:12 AM

quote:
quote:

Here you go - non-standard emoticons or some apps like FB: Orange

O2 do the same - O2

^^ the key to that is " non-standard emoticons"

basically you've added a small pic into the text so its now an MMS
much the same way as adding pic's in an e-mail, even if the pics appear in the middle of the text they are still attachments...

standard emoticons are the ones that are just a few ordinary characters - and if you've got a fancy phone it might display them as a little picture, but they are still really just text

JoelP - 15/1/14 at 11:11 PM

quote:
quote:

my teenage son tells me that you can force it to stop this in message settings? apparently if you send a single text to multiple recipients some phones/providers will also change it to MMS?

Cheers, I'll look into it!

mcerd1 - 21/1/14 at 11:05 AM

^^ if you give up with the fancy new phones get yourselves an old nokia instead...

it works for me - I just sent an 8000 character message (50 texts)

Slimy38 - 21/1/14 at 11:16 AM

quote:
quote:

If you also respond to an MMS (even if you only send text) that will be sent as MMS. That has caught me out a few times.

mcerd1 - 21/1/14 at 11:20 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
If you also respond to an MMS (even if you only send text) that will be sent as MMS. That has caught me out a few times.

^^ that depends on you phone too - my nokia replies as a text as long as you don't add any attachments...

bi22le - 21/1/14 at 12:16 PM

quote:
quote:

This is true for me and catches me out.

I have changed the settings on my S4mini so alerts me when it does change to MMS mode.