Board logo

New phone advice
Daddylonglegs - 2/5/14 at 08:47 PM

I'm looking at replacing my ageing I-Phone and having looked at the millions that are out there and narrowed it down to what I think I like:

HTC One or One Mini
Samsung Galaxy S4 or S4 mini
Nokia Lumia - not really sure but maybe 925 or 930

I'm not too worried about a stack of data etc. as I will be using my work phone SIM. I don't like cr*ppy cameras but am not too worried about taking over from David Bailey (showing my age). Operating system is not too much of an issue, I would like Windows, but have used Android before. Not a big app freak and gaming I can take or leave. as my eyes are not what they used to be I don't want a screen that will be fuzzy when trying to read Web pages etc. zoomed in. I think that's it

Any feedback on the above would be really appreciated guys

JB

twybrow - 2/5/14 at 09:17 PM

I have a Nokia Lumia 820, and I have really liked it. Good camera, enough apps to keep most people happy.

matty_64 - 2/5/14 at 09:27 PM

had the nokia lumia 920 for about a fortnight.exellent camera and windows 8 is easier to use on the phone than my laptop.the satnav functon is good as well.the only down side is battery life

wombat - 2/5/14 at 09:33 PM

Work just supplied me with a Lumina 925, change from a IP 3GS. Have to say I like it so far ......

britishtrident - 2/5/14 at 09:34 PM

Look at the Samsung Galaxy Ace 3 as well.

stevebubs - 2/5/14 at 09:54 PM

Happy Nexus 5 user here...but know people happy with the S4.

S4 Mini is nowhere near an S4 in spec...pure branding exercise...

[Edited on 2/5/14 by stevebubs]

bigrich - 2/5/14 at 10:01 PM

Recently changed from a Samsung S2 to an HTC 1 M7 both great phones with good screens for aging eyes. Love the HTC but still think the Samsung is more intuitive to use, and not that much less of a phone despite being a 2 year older design in an ever changing market. Work mate has an S4 and loves that.i

ste - 2/5/14 at 10:07 PM

+1 for the nexus 5

loggyboy - 2/5/14 at 10:14 PM

Recently switched from old htc mini windows phone to samsung S4 mini on Tesco. Superb phone, happiest ive been with a smart phone for years.

scott h - 2/5/14 at 10:38 PM

I had a Samsung Galaxy Ace for the past 2 years. It is a great cheaper smart phone. The only problem was a very small memory, the current model is the Ace 3 and it has a much bigger memory so I would think it will be a good budget smart phone. Mine had a good sat nav, good camera and was straight forward to use. The battery life was ok sometimes lasting all day but more often requiring a top up charge at tea time. If it did not have the memory issue I would have kept using it on a sim only basis as it is still in good order.

I now have a Samsung Galaxy S5. Had it 2 weeks now and it is great. The screen is very sharp, it is simple to use, fantastic camera and a large memory. The battery lasts a whole day with loads of apps running and several calls, and it charges in half the time of my previous Galaxy Ace. The only thing that most people remark on is the size, it does have the benefit of making everything much clearer and when I look at my old phone now I think it's so small!

The choice for me was I phone, HTC one or the Samsung.

AntonUK - 2/5/14 at 10:41 PM

my choice would be the latest Iphone, but if that is not an option then the HTC one would be the contender.

v8kid - 3/5/14 at 05:38 AM

Another consideration is how repairable they are. I just replaced the camera in my iPhone easily with the aid of loads videos are the other makes as well supported?

Cheers

ashg - 3/5/14 at 07:36 AM

i have the htc one m8. i really like it. its fast easy to use and the best bit. the speakers are really loud so i can listen to the radio on it at work and hear it over machines etc. its also very good on speakerphone when you working on something and need your hands free.

britishtrident - 3/5/14 at 07:44 AM

quote:
Originally posted by scott h
I had a Samsung Galaxy Ace for the past 2 years. It is a great cheaper smart phone. The only problem was a very small memory, the current model is the Ace 3 and it has a much bigger memory so I would think it will be a good budget smart phone. Mine had a good sat nav, good camera and was straight forward to use. The battery life was ok sometimes lasting all day but more often requiring a top up charge at tea time. If it did not have the memory issue I would have kept using it on a sim only basis as it is still in good order.
snip snip

We have both the original Ace and the Ace2 and the Ace is due to be replaced by an Ace3 when we return from our holls.
The Ace2 is slightly bigger and more powerful than the Ace both the screen and battery are bigger. The Ace3 follows the same trend with a 4" screen, in terms of bang per buck for 4g I reckon it hits the spot.

[Edited on 3/5/14 by britishtrident]

Slimy38 - 3/5/14 at 09:59 AM

I'm soon to be upgrading my Galaxy S2, and at the moment I have the S5 and the HTC one M8 as the shortlist. The reviews can't split the difference so it will entirely depend on the price I can get for either.

I wouldn't do a 'Mini' anything, it's not just the size that they cut down on.