Board logo

Extended mobile use in the USA.
cerbera - 16/3/15 at 03:57 PM

My daughter is going to study and play soccer for four years in USA this August. I've been trying to find the best mobile plan for her while she's out there. In contacting home she will be using the colleges wifi so doesn't need any uk calling minutes or texts, but she could do with a small amount of minutes/texts and data to use locally if needed.

Any one have any experience of using USA SIM cards/plans that can offer any advice?

HowardB - 16/3/15 at 04:13 PM

buy a PAYG US sim, put it in a quad band phone,.. sorted,... costs for USA roaming are outrageous

gremlin1234 - 16/3/15 at 05:33 PM

ditto, get a payg sim or phone and sim when there, also beware that I think mobiles in usa also charge for incoming calls

renetom - 16/3/15 at 05:54 PM

I agree payg sim in an unlocked quad phone
must be unlocked for use in the US or worldwide.
Or buy a cheap mobile wilst there.

[Edited on 16/3/15 by renetom]

liam.mccaffrey - 16/3/15 at 06:33 PM

As above, i lived out there for 2 years. Get a PAYG sim for out there and use voip/skype to phone home.

Alan B - 17/3/15 at 04:51 AM

Straight talk phone from walmart
Choice of plans, pay as you go....$60/month unlimited domestic and international calls, text and data*.

I use the $45 plan just unlimted domestic calls, text and data*

* not convinced the data is truly unlimited, but overall I'm very happy with it.

Alan (from Preston too...)

[Edited on 17/3/15 by Alan B]

cerbera - 17/3/15 at 12:20 PM

Thanks for the replies gents.

loggyboy - 17/3/15 at 01:21 PM

Three include all roaming (to quite a few countries (inc USA)) in your standard allowance. No extra to pay.

IGNORE THAT
If you use over several months they can cancel it. Its obviously intended for holiday makers etc, so probably best with the above suggestions.

[Edited on 17-3-15 by loggyboy]

cerbera - 17/3/15 at 01:24 PM

They do, but for only two months unfortunately.