Board logo

ot employment law question
02GF74 - 15/6/15 at 07:18 PM

Ntdwm but what can yiu do if you cannot get a previous employer give you a reference.

Friends been trying to speak to manager but company switchboard will not give number, nor extension, if a message is left, the manager does not callback.

Next step?

morcus - 15/6/15 at 07:37 PM

I was told by my old boss that you never give a bad reference, in place you just don't give one, he also told me you could get in trouble for giving a witness that wasn't true. I'd like to add he did give me a reference and this was a long time before I left but the nature of the work meant a lot of people passed through and he gave a lot of references.

If my old boss was correct then there's not a lot you can do if they won't give you one.

I would recommend sending a letter or if possible going to visit the site but obviously that depends what kind of place it is and why he/she left.

ste - 15/6/15 at 07:40 PM

https://www.gov.uk/work-reference

Minicooper - 15/6/15 at 07:53 PM

I wrote my own using there headed paper, he was pissed that I left and refused to be reasonable, so I just put down on paper what the guy really thought of me and amazing he thought I was great

Cheers
David

Slimy38 - 15/6/15 at 08:32 PM

Our company does not allow their staff to give company references. They can do personal ones, but the only one to come from the company is essentially a HR report (days sick, duration of work, final salary etc).

Ninehigh - 15/6/15 at 10:10 PM

In my experience they usually go back to the next previous one

Theshed - 16/6/15 at 11:12 AM

There is generally no legal obligation to give a reference. Exceptions may exist in the financial services industry. Rarely there can be a contractual obligation to do so. If there is a general policy of giving references and one is refused then that might give rise to a claim if the reason for the refusal was one of a growing list of prohibited reasons (Gender, race, whistle blowing etc). If a reference is provided then it must be "fair balanced and reasonable". It is for that reason that many ex-employers now stick to a bare factual reference. Does that help or confuse?