Board logo

RIP our cat
SteveWallace - 11/3/16 at 08:25 AM

Sadly our cat (my avatar) got run over and died last night. He was chased into the road by a dog that was not being properly controlled by his twa*ish owner (not on a lead by a main road). People who are not pet owners will not understand, but it feels as though we have lost a family member.

A couple of months ago my daughter hit a dog in her car. She had only been driving for a month. Same story, owner did not have their dog on a lead by a road and it ran out straight in front of her - fortunately only minor injuries. If you are a dog owner, please be a responsible one.

[Edited on 11/3/16 by SteveWallace]

mackei23b - 11/3/16 at 08:57 AM

Sorry to here about the loss of your cat, they become part of your family.

We lost Felix (my Avatar) last year and two weeks ago we lost Nicolas, his half brother. Now were down to 2 dogs and 1 cat.

Sad times and you and your family have my deepest sympathy.

Best regards

Ian

joneh - 11/3/16 at 09:02 AM

Probably last thing on your mind, but you may be able to claim your costs back on the dogs insurance. The dog should have third party liability insurance, which is normally included in the pet insurance.

Also, sorry for your loss. It's horrible feeling losing a pet.

[Edited on 11/3/16 by joneh]

r1_pete - 11/3/16 at 09:11 AM

Really sorry for your loss..

We lost Smokey 10 years ago, he got spooked by the recycling van and got run over.

We've had Tiger since, he sends his sympathies too:

tiger
tiger

Slimy38 - 11/3/16 at 09:13 AM

We lost our eldest cat a while back. She wasn't able to move very quickly, and unfortunately a dog that had got out decided to make a meal out of her. I managed to chase the dog off but witnessing her final moments in my wife's arms was heartbreaking.

What makes it worse is that we then found out that the dog belonged to the local farm, and regularly escaped to go patrolling round the village and chase cats. Most simply head for the nearest tree or fence, our cat wasn't that lucky.

theconrodkid - 11/3/16 at 09:33 AM

Smoking Frog - 11/3/16 at 09:57 AM

We lost our German Shepard last year. It's not easy losing a family pet, condolences.

ash_hammond - 11/3/16 at 10:16 AM

MikeR - 11/3/16 at 11:44 AM

Lost our dog just over a year ago. Whilst ours was heart breaking it was at the vets in a controlled environment. Some of the stories on here are horrible to think about.

Condolences.

ian locostzx9rc2 - 11/3/16 at 04:32 PM

I understand your loss pets are a major part of your family. I had cats when I was growing up and a break of 30 years we have got a rescue cat 6 months ago and are total besotted by her she's affectionate very bright and really good company .

twybrow - 11/3/16 at 05:09 PM

My cat got run over on the morning after my first chemotherapy session. Already felt awful, and was then woken by the neighbour telling me the bad news. Horrible memory of burying Mog, feeling truly dreadful, with only more chemo to look forward to.... I feel your pain.

02GF74 - 11/3/16 at 07:45 PM

I know how you feel, same happened to mine in nov 2013. It makes no sense to see people dying on tv and feel nothing yet be so affected by a pet... but our pets are real to us and touch our lives

Its awful but it does get easier. Im harder than a bag of diamond coated carbide drill bits yet i blubbed. ...... a lot.

tr7v8 - 11/3/16 at 08:54 PM

You have my sympathies. We've had a cat chased by a neighbours out of control dog before & I made it clear I wasn't impressed.
Ours was poorly recently & I was in pieces thinking we might lose him. RIP poor puss...

big-vee-twin - 11/3/16 at 09:08 PM

Lost our Siamese - Noodles last year to lung cancer after she had 6 months of chemotherapy.

Feel your loss.

snapper - 11/3/16 at 09:36 PM

I feel your loss, I've been there as a serial cat servant and would be devastated if my current feline dictator passed early

LBMEFM - 12/3/16 at 04:27 AM

Poor pussy, losing our cats in the past was devastating, our last one, Honey, was 21 years old when she died

thepest - 12/3/16 at 07:45 AM

My Condolences, know the feeling

Ivan - 12/3/16 at 09:03 AM

Anybody who has lost a loved pet will know how you feel - my sympathy for you.

Badger_McLetcher - 12/3/16 at 10:26 AM

'Tis a horrible thing, my sympathies mate. They're not "just" animals, they're personalities that you come to know and love.

SteveWallace - 12/3/16 at 12:10 PM

Thanks for all the kind words, although sorry that many of them are because of similar experiences.

Mornings are the worst as he was our alarm clock and I'm sure that he used to jingle his bell deliberately to wake us as its the only time that it made so much noise. We are willing our lives away at the moment as its only time that heals.

02GF74 - 12/3/16 at 01:22 PM

quote:
Originally posted by SteveWallace

Mornings are the worst as he was our alarm clock and I'm sure that he used to jingle his bell deliberately to wake us as its the only time that it made so much noise. We are willing our lives away at the moment as its only time that heals.

that's the worst of it - when mine (the one that got run over) went missing for 11 days, I'd lie awake listening for the catflap (when she turned up was skin and bones but survived, wasn't so lucky with the car and that made it worse and she shouldn't have survived the first time.

anyways give it a few days and start looking for the next cat.