Board logo

30mm square plastic tubing - where to buy
02GF74 - 4/9/16 at 12:15 PM

I have a medium/largish graphics card that is mounted horizontally so thinking of making a support for it.

The idea is to take a piece of plastic tubing, cut a slot in it into which the card will sit..... but cannot find any source of black plastic tubing on ebay (there is transparent acrylic tubing but prefer black; I don't think drain pipes are that small).

It needs to be made from insulation material - any ideas?

[Edited on 4/9/16 by 02GF74]

Slimy38 - 4/9/16 at 12:33 PM

Would this work better;

https://www.amazon.com/Puget-Systems-Universal-Acrylic-Brace/dp/B019ZZQVK8

Ignore the price, it's obscene for what it is. But it's flat rather than tube, so a lot easier to source.

02GF74 - 4/9/16 at 12:41 PM

Hmmmmm interesting. Adds a new dimension to the problem, was thinking of using a vertical support, not horizontal.

Now the fan casing in front of the pci area has slots that are designed for card with extensions (search gtx 8800 dell to see what i mean)

In theory i could run a strip from the cover slot to the fan below the card and support it that way.

Meanwhile search for plastic tubing goes on...

Slimy38 - 4/9/16 at 02:01 PM

The main reason why I thought about that bracket was sound transfer. The fan on the graphics card will create vibrations, if you're going to transmit those direct to the case surface via a sturdy tube your noise level will increase dramatically.

Of course, if noise isn't an issue then you don't need to worry about that.

For your original idea, have a look at UPVC conduit. I can only see up to 25mm though, and you may have a fair bit left over;

PVC Round Conduit 20mm & 25mm Black or White, Heavy Gauge 3Mtr Lengths

chris - 4/9/16 at 02:20 PM

32mm waste pipe is the closest plastic pipe comes in white grey or black push fit slightly softer than solvent weld

gremlin1234 - 4/9/16 at 02:35 PM

quote:
was thinking of using a vertical support,
could you build something to support it using lego?

stevebubs - 5/9/16 at 12:45 AM

have you tried looking in B&Q - they have odd extrusions like this... alternatively look at their trunking...