Board logo

Paypal 'Pending?' Bay of E.
motorcycle_mayhem - 6/11/17 at 09:11 AM

A new one for me, but I assume others have had this...

As some of you know, I'm clearing out one helluva lot of stuff. This morning, another (minor) component has 'sold' on Ebay ('sold' often being a term of vagueness, due to keyboard warriors, picture collectors and the outright dishonest).

Checking the details, I find the Paypal payment is 'pending'. A new one on me, it's held until 27/11/17, released if there is no dispute from the buyer. I am invited to send the component and add a tracking number to speed up the payment.

OK, so I'm a cynic, heavily, very. Usually, payment has been instantaneous, package is immediately wrapped and sent on my way into work. Why this 'pending' arrangement? Is this a new 'feature'?
What do you do, wait until the 27/11/17 (in this case), or get in the post beforehand?

OK, so this is a minor component, but some of the stuff has been/is somewhat more valuable.

Perhaps if 'Scott' is on here...

andyace - 6/11/17 at 09:22 AM

https://www.paypal.com/us/selfhelp/article/why-is-my-payment-from-a-sale-on-ebay-on-hold-faq1377

motorcycle_mayhem - 6/11/17 at 09:32 AM

Andy - thanks, yep, it's not unusual then. Just unusual to me.
Confusingly, none of the 'criteria' apply.

I'll put it the post and see what happens....

nick205 - 6/11/17 at 09:40 AM

Receiving a PayPal payment and having on a "pending" status would concern me too. I certainly not be posting the item unless the money had been fully received and transferred out to a bank account.

PayPal themselves are rather difficult to actually contact and speak to directly to get any advice from a human being. In your case I'd be waiting until 27/11/17 to see if the payment to you actually clears. I guess it could be that the payer doesn't have sufficient funds in either their bank account or PayPal to actually make the payment.

Worst case - list the item again on eBay.

v8kid - 6/11/17 at 09:44 AM

Yea it happened to me as well. Posted the stuff using ebay post and the money was cleared when parcel delivered.

They are just covering their arses.

Cheers!

russbost - 6/11/17 at 10:10 AM

Frequently means the buyer has changed credit/debit cards or similar or could be an echeque, either way, I wouldn't post until paid

rf900rush - 6/11/17 at 06:22 PM

I had this once or twice.

My decision is based on the amount. Less than a tenner I would take a chance, if more, then I wait for clearance.