Board logo

Any one had Rle eye surgery ?
steve m - 23/3/19 at 10:11 PM

Im thinking about having my eyes done AGAIN!, as I had Radial Karototomies done in 1988 yet I now need glass's for everything

So, has any of my colleagues on here had any eye surgerie, and would you again ?

would any one not recommend it,

Or anything else

Steve

rusty nuts - 24/3/19 at 07:21 AM

Sorry meant to write this was covered several years ago, might be worth looking up those old posts as well? Some of the people that posted are probably able to give a more up to date opinion

[Edited on 24/3/19 by rusty nuts]

40inches - 24/3/19 at 01:57 PM

I had Macular hole surgery 2 years ago, and both eyes had lens implants one year ago.
I opted to have the new lenses as corrective lenses, so I went from short sight to long sight.
So would I do it again? In a heartbeat
I think you would be OK to have LASIK, but I believe that cataract surgery (lens implant) is
very difficult after RK.

RussH - 24/3/19 at 09:41 PM

Is that Intra Ocular Lens replacement?

Considering that this year but pretty nervous about it - late 30s, -16 in each eye.

40inches - 24/3/19 at 11:18 PM

quote:
Originally posted by RussH

Considering that this year but pretty nervous about it - late 30s, -16 in each eye.

Nothing to be nervous about, takes about 15minutes per eye, no worse than having a tooth filled.

RussH - 25/3/19 at 08:11 AM

I’m only in Clowne - maybe I can buy you a beer and pick your brains on it sometime?

sorry for the hijack OP!

nick205 - 25/3/19 at 11:46 AM

My son's had eye surgery to correct a pronounced squint. He was 9 at the time and his eye was a bit sore for a few days after, but the squint is corrected and although it wasn't on me personally I wouldn't hesitate to have the operation done. In and out of hospital in the same day a few days off school and a very successful result.

Mr Whippy - 25/3/19 at 01:08 PM

OMG this is Locost builders...! why are their no DIY suggestions? bottle of vodka, lens from a toy telescope, bit of superglue (it sticks to skin...) jobs a good one

I knew I was wasted working in the office I could have been a healer

ttalps2000 - 25/3/19 at 01:33 PM

Both of my youngsters have had eye surgery done. Son at 4 years old and had lens replacement due to cataracts and then his younger sister at 2 years old and had them removed altogether. Takes longer for them to knock you out and stabalise you than to do the op! Both recovered fine, but required drops every hour for 6 weeks, but thats more because of their age etc. Its a routine procedure and was like a conveyor belt in the hospital!

FatChapChipChop - 25/3/19 at 02:48 PM

quote:
Originally posted by 40inches
quote:
Originally posted by RussH

Nothing to be nervous about, takes about 15minutes per eye, no worse than having a tooth filled.

Very simple procedure .. I had one cataract dealt with recently, lens replaced at the same time to "give most of my range back" .. Only need glasses for reading (being an old-ish git) .. Procedure is about as simple, painless and effective as it gets .. Very happy to get my other done as soon as possible ..

jps - 25/3/19 at 03:34 PM

I've worn glasses since I was about 6 (I think!), i'm now 37.

I've never looked into the details of laser surgery and found out the facts/risk factors/etc - i've just got an illogical fear (like I have for flying) that something might go wrong and i'd lose my sight.

That said - if it were not for contact lenses (which i've now been wearing for about 15 years) I probably would bite the bullet and go for it.

Given the number of people you see wearing glasses i suspect i'm not the only one who is nervous about eye surgery!

HowardB - 25/3/19 at 08:09 PM

I had LASIK done at Moorfields by a bloke called David Gartree - can't recommend him enough.
Would I do it again, of course it was amazing going from worse than -7 to a lot better than 20/20.

I also know of lens replacement patients that are delighted, it is considered to be fairly routine now.

GL

hth