Board logo

How can I upload a channel 4 tv show to my YouTube channel for safe keeping?
Barkalarr - 17/1/20 at 10:43 PM

Friend of mine was on TV.
Wants to upload the tv show to his YouTube channel for safe keeping to show his grandchildren in years to come.

How?

[Edited on 17/1/20 by Barkalarr]

Slimy38 - 18/1/20 at 12:05 AM

In a word, don't. Apart from the copyright issues of publishing channel 4 content on Youtube, I wouldn't consider Youtube to be a safe storage medium. Especially if he's considering showing it in years to come. I've regularly had links to Youtube content that have expired without warning.

Download it as a movie file then keep it somewhere safe. Burn it to a CD, put it online as a file, that sort of thing.

nick205 - 18/1/20 at 12:48 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
In a word, don't. Apart from the copyright issues of publishing channel 4 content on Youtube, I wouldn't consider Youtube to be a safe storage medium. Especially if he's considering showing it in years to come. I've regularly had links to Youtube content that have expired without warning.

Download it as a movie file then keep it somewhere safe. Burn it to a CD, put it online as a file, that sort of thing.

Agreed, keep a personally stored copy of the file somewhere safe a home, don't rely on YouTube. I can't imagine Channel 4 would be best pleased with their content being put on YouTube either. There will be copyright laws applying and the potential to get in legal trouble as well I'm sure.

Barkalarr - 18/1/20 at 05:48 PM

I think the bigger problem is how to get the content off the sky box or off the all 4 website?

loggyboy - 18/1/20 at 07:27 PM

Try screencastify extension for google.

Fatgadget - 19/1/20 at 08:59 AM

Save them on a VHS tape!

BenB - 19/1/20 at 10:18 AM

Is it going to be on TV again at any point? If so let me know.
For storage I'd likely burn a DVD and a USB stick and stick them both in a padded bag. Some DVDRs can get adversely effected by sunlight if left out.

Slimy38 - 19/1/20 at 02:26 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Barkalarr
I think the bigger problem is how to get the content off the sky box or off the all 4 website?

https://digiex.net/threads/download-rip-save-channel-4-4od-4-on-demand-content-with-no-drm-as-mp4s.9939/

Not an easy process, but this would give you the best quality and no DRM.

BenB - 19/1/20 at 04:05 PM

It's easy for me to get DRM video off digital tv using my dvr. No idea for via the net....