Board logo

Finished my rocket stove
nick205 - 31/5/20 at 02:32 PM

Finished my rocket stove yesterday and had a test burn

David Jenkins - 31/5/20 at 02:44 PM

And does it sound like a rocket? (that's why they're called 'rocket stoves' )

And will you put a pan stand on the top?

[Edited on 31/5/20 by David Jenkins]

adithorp - 31/5/20 at 03:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins

Come on! It's a kit car forum and therefore "finished" doesn't mean "finished" in the traditional sense

David Jenkins - 31/5/20 at 03:19 PM

quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins

Come on! It's a kit car forum and therefore "finished" doesn't mean "finished" in the traditional sense

Of course! Silly of me!

(my car still isn't 'finished', even after 12 years on the road)

nick205 - 31/5/20 at 03:30 PM

Still to add pan supports at the top of the chimney section. Then will heat water and cook bacon.

And yes once burning well there was a roar noise.

snapper - 31/5/20 at 03:49 PM

I don’t know what it is but it has welding and fire so I’m in

nick205 - 31/5/20 at 03:55 PM

quote:
Originally posted by snapper
I don’t know what it is but it has welding and fire so I’m in

Search "rocket stove" on YouTube.

I've not welded for some time so it's not brilliant, but hangs together.

Fire - yes - hot, very

adithorp - 31/5/20 at 04:02 PM

I wonder if having 4 small inlets (one from each side of the chimney) that doubled as legs would work instead of one large one?

David Jenkins - 31/5/20 at 04:52 PM

I think it's a case of "it ain't broke, so why fix it?" - I've seen all sorts of designs for rocket stoves made out of square steel tube, and they all look similar to each other.

The biggest bonus with them is that they'll happily burn twigs and small sticks to keep the fire going.

theconrodkid - 31/5/20 at 04:58 PM

oh dear, what have you started now...off to the man cave int morning

gremlin1234 - 31/5/20 at 05:01 PM

quote:
Originally posted by theconrodkid
oh dear, what have you started now...off to the man cave int morning
a burning desire

nick205 - 31/5/20 at 05:59 PM

quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
I wonder if having 4 small inlets (one from each side of the chimney) that doubled as legs would work instead of one large one?

That may work, but the hollow legs on mine are balance bars made from steel I had already. The main body design is taken from the many before have done it. It works well so no complaints from me.

bi22le - 31/5/20 at 09:43 PM

Thanks for sharing this.

I started watching a how to make videos and one has provided a great solution for me.

I have a patio by my house and young kids so I don't want a permanent chimnea or BBQ. There were some guides on stacking bricks to make rocket stoves and loose brick fire pits. Perfect for those long dinner evenings when we are finally allowed guests round.

nick205 - 1/6/20 at 06:44 AM

That was my aim as well, space to use, time to kill, tools sat idle and kids who like watching fire

nick205 - 10/6/20 at 03:37 PM

Another "finishing touch" to add. A member on here has kindly sorted me some exhaust heat wrap. I shall wrap the vertical section to make sure as much heat as possible goes up and isn't lost.

I'm waiting for photos of what you've built now guys

Irony - 11/6/20 at 08:51 AM

I wonder if the top tube could be extended to 10ft long and then used to heat a garage or workshop?

Mr Whippy - 11/6/20 at 12:11 PM

What tends to happen when you extend a flue to much is the gasses cool down and then all the stuff in the smoke, resin, soot, tar etc come out on the insides of the flue and then are a fire risk (although a fire in metal pipe...well bonus heating!), but if the smoke does get too cold then it won't go up there or will be difficult to light or will blow back.

nick205 - 11/6/20 at 02:41 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
What tends to happen when you extend a flue to much is the gasses cool down and then all the stuff in the smoke, resin, soot, tar etc come out on the insides of the flue and then are a fire risk (although a fire in metal pipe...well bonus heating!), but if the smoke does get too cold then it won't go up there or will be difficult to light or will blow back.

The vertical section height on mine was set following what others seemed to have done (mainly waithing YouTube fabrication videos). I believe the principle was to achieve maximum heat at the top of the vertical (chimney) section where the pan/kettle will sit. It's designed for cooking on after all so you're trying to capture the most heat you can. This is where my idea of wrapping the vertical section in exhaust heat wrap comes from to try and maximise the heat at the top and minimise heat loss out the sides.

Still got to finish the pan stand for the top of it as well yet!