Board logo

Painting External Glass (not car) - any advice
John P - 24/5/23 at 06:47 PM

We have some rattan garden furniture which includes a table and 6 chairs and although it's now a few years old it still looks very good apart from the table.

For some reason the rattan which is under a toughened glass top has started to break up and this is now very obviously through the glass.

A replacement table is over £800 so I'm thinking about painting the underside of the existing glass top so that you can't see the damaged rattan. (I know it's a bit of a bodge but I can't afford a replacement table).

Any thoughts on what type of paint to use bearing in mind it will be protected by being under the glass but also outside throughout the year.

On line I've seen suggestions of using an Acrylic paint applied either by aerosol or roller but am I deluding myself that this could work OK.

John.

obfripper - 24/5/23 at 08:48 PM

Another possibility is to use 1% transmission tinting film, it will be easier to get an even finish and will be more durable.
You should be able to get enough to sort out a tabletop for around £10

Dave

Slater - 25/5/23 at 08:21 AM

yes, take the glass to a car window tinting place, quick and easy, plus it will handle the UV.

Or Vinyl wrap the underside of the glass yourself.

Slimy38 - 25/5/23 at 08:29 AM

It's really easy to get a good finish on the back of glass, just make sure the paint is thick enough to not show any gaps. I'd suggest roller rather than aerosol, and as ever make sure the surface is spotless first as any marks or dirt will show up embedded in the paint. The finish can be as rough as anything on the face but through glass it'll look perfect.

Vinyl wrap is the opposite, it looks good if you're putting it on the face but putting it on the reverse has to be absolutely perfect otherwise you'll be able to see every kind of bubble and dust mark. Taking it to the professionals would work but I wouldn't consider it a DIY thing.

gremlin1234 - 25/5/23 at 10:30 AM

I am wondering if you could just paint the rattan surface?

jacko - 25/5/23 at 05:20 PM

Don’t paint it it will flake in a short time where I use to work we painted the glass on destination glass on buses it always flake
As said use a film it will last a lot better
Graham

red22 - 26/5/23 at 01:02 AM

You could always sandblast the glass for a frosted opaque finish.