Board logo

Brazilian Grand Prix
SALAD - 22/10/06 at 06:39 PM

What a good race and a good last grand prix for Schumacher!

gavinp - 22/10/06 at 06:44 PM

I love how Ferrari-Massa-Schumacher grab all the attention !!!!!!!!!!!

stevec - 22/10/06 at 06:45 PM

Yep.
I liked the 1966 England shirt ITV gave him at the start.

Jon Ison - 22/10/06 at 06:46 PM

IMHO one of the all time greats as just retired.

SALAD - 22/10/06 at 06:47 PM

Indeed, lots going on...Massa's win, first Brazilian since Senna, Alonso's world title, Button's podium finish and Schumacher drove very well.

StevieB - 22/10/06 at 06:48 PM

Love him or hate him, he's the best there's been so far.

I never wanted to win, but watching that last race, I actually wanted him to do it. Especially since he displayed the sort of driving that makes him the best.

Fatgadget - 22/10/06 at 06:50 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Jon Ison
IMHO one of the all time greats as just retired.

Here here.

My sentiments too

greggors84 - 22/10/06 at 07:00 PM

Loved the comment by Kimi when Martin Brundle asked him if he watched the presentation by Pele to Schumacher

'I was having a s**t!'

Shame schumacher didnt win the race, would have been a great way to bow out. At least he made some great overtaking maneouvers.

SALAD - 22/10/06 at 07:01 PM

I'm quite dissapointed I didn't get to see him race anywhere.
He will go down as one of the all time greats indeed.

[Edited on 22/10/06 by SALAD]

roadrunner - 22/10/06 at 07:07 PM

Glad to see him go , great driver , dirty twat also , but he is a crought for god sake.

Mr G - 22/10/06 at 07:08 PM

I've followed his career from begining to end and i'm glad he's made it in one piece - I thought his commitment would of dropped after becoming the family man but for the last 15 years love him or hate him he's brought entertainment to my weekends.

Thanks for the memories sir!

ecosse - 22/10/06 at 07:17 PM

I've never been his biggest fan, but he is undoubtedly one of the best, end of an era for sure.

Still, roll on next year

Alex

iiyama - 22/10/06 at 07:22 PM

There will be a far better race next sunday in Spain!!!

Cant wait....

Got bored with F1 some years ago when Barachello had to move over to let Schumacher through in the US GP.

For sure he will go down as one of the greats, but in my opinion he is also a cheating SOB!

Senna for me will always be the greatest......

Ianz18avon - 22/10/06 at 07:26 PM

I'm the first to say he was good, but the question still remains "would he have won 7 Titles or x no. of races if Senna had still been alive?" and why did he have to punt people off if he was so good?

ruskino80 - 22/10/06 at 07:33 PM

everyone seems to forget the hill incident in australia!!!
glad he was beaten fair and square,like alonso said to be champion would not meen as much without a battle with him.

Mr G - 22/10/06 at 07:34 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Ianz18avon
I'm the first to say he was good, but the question still remains "would he have won 7 Titles or x no. of races if Senna had still been alive?" and why did he have to punt people off if he was so good?

Have you checked senna's punting history

Ianz18avon - 22/10/06 at 07:39 PM

Ah! you mean the "Racing Incidents"

Surrey Dave - 22/10/06 at 08:08 PM

I'm not Schumi's greatest fan but that was a great drive and a great pass on kimi, he should have teamed up with kimi next year.

he probably is still the best out there......

(pains me to say it though!!!)

Winston Todge - 22/10/06 at 08:24 PM

Two wheeled motorsport is the way forward for sheer entertainment value...

100 overtaking manoeuvres a race rather than 5...

Jon Ison - 22/10/06 at 08:34 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ruskino80
everyone seems to forget the hill incident in australia!!!
glad he was beaten fair and square,like alonso said to be champion would not meen as much without a battle with him.

You mean the one where Shumi was a lame duck waiting too be picked off and Hill put his nose in where he shouldn't have ?

Just looking at it from another prespective.........

Surrey Dave - 22/10/06 at 08:38 PM

bike racing is great , Elias was amazing last week.

but I enjoy F1 too ,it's not just the racing its the tecnology and politics, is a bit of a soap opera..........

dragonstone7racing - 22/10/06 at 11:31 PM

Two Words:: Ace Race

kimi was so funny. Im not a big schuey fan but what a drive he had to day you got to give it to him he love's a good race he had his work cut out on this one. I bet the Williams team arnt happy bunny's.

Will be looking forward to seeing how things will turn out next year should be good.

JoelP - 23/10/06 at 06:34 AM

what amazed me was that he did a pitstop and promptly set a fastest lap with a full tank of fuel and fresh tyres!

I was hoping he would sieze the championship at the last moment, but it wasnt to be...

britishtrident - 23/10/06 at 07:01 AM

Watching the race apart from the very considerable Bridgestone advantage (witness Buttons performance -- Michelin must have stopped tyre development mid season) Ferrari must have at least a 40 bhp advantage over the other team.

britishtrident - 23/10/06 at 08:01 AM

quote:
Originally posted by roadrunner
Glad to see him go , great driver , dirty twat also , but he is a crought for god sake.

Comments made on Schumy by Stirling Moss, Jackie Stewart put him in perspective -- nowhere near the top 3 drivers of all time, Moss probably had it about right but for me its

Equal 1st Nuvolari, Fangio, Clark, Rosemeyer

Then in order
Moss,
Peterson,
Prost,
Senna,
Stewart
Rindt,
Schumacher
Lauda,
Alonso
Mario Andretti
Piquet
Button
Chris Amon (if only !)
Hunt (so much abiity so little brain)
Surtees (underated never as good as Clark but World champoin on 2 and 4 wheels)
Graham Hill
Alan Jones
Denny Hulme

Note for me Schumy isn't even the best German GP driver of all time I rank him below Rosemeyer and Rindt (who was actually German by birth). Lets face even DC or Damon Hill proved they could beat him on a good day given equal cars.

This is good link
http://www.ddavid.com/formula1/index1.htm

[Edited on 23/10/06 by britishtrident]

02GF74 - 23/10/06 at 08:12 AM

quote:
Originally posted by JoelP

I was hoping he would sieze the championship at the last moment, but it wasnt to be...

... but I bet he does in the film when it comes out, just before he destroys the alien spaceship

jos - 23/10/06 at 08:44 AM

I thought the football shirt was a disgusting insult and whoever thought of it should be shot.

How dare they give a signed football shirt from the opposing football team to a great driver who is just about to retire.

Something from the relevant sport would have been better suited, not a football shirt. I know they are fairly valuable but to a guy who earns millions each year and probably has a fair bit in the bank the value doesnt matter. Even the manner in which it was given and the sentiment behind it were slightly tongue in cheek, which for the input schumis had into the world of F1, i dont think does justice. If they wanted to give a light hearted going away present then why not give him one of the rear wings off the BMW's which had Danke Schumi or whatever they had on them, or a piece off hills car when he ran into him. FFS dont give him a football shirt from the team that beat his national team.

The football shirt wouldve meant far more to Murray walker when he left, not Schumacher.

Disgraceful - and very sad to see ITV showing themselves up in the way that they did

Rant over

marktigere1 - 23/10/06 at 09:26 AM

First GP I've seen in a very long time.

Very entertaining, but the number of advert breaks started to get just a tad annoying

As stated by Martin Brundle, Shumacher was brilliant but flawed.

I liked his (MB's) comment that he wished he had won one less title and a few less pole positions to wipe out the negative incidents in a few of his races.

Cheers

Mark

02GF74 - 23/10/06 at 10:06 AM

quote:
Originally posted by jos
I thought the football shirt was a disgusting insult and whoever thought of it should be shot.

How dare they give a signed football shirt from the opposing football team to a great driver who is just about to retire.

Something from the relevant sport would have been better suited, not a football shirt. I know they are fairly valuable but to a guy who earns millions each year and probably has a fair bit in the bank the value doesnt matter. Even the manner in which it was given and the sentiment behind it were slightly tongue in cheek, which for the input schumis had into the world of F1, i dont think does justice. If they wanted to give a light hearted going away present then why not give him one of the rear wings off the BMW's which had Danke Schumi or whatever they had on them, or a piece off hills car when he ran into him. FFS dont give him a football shirt from the team that beat his national team.

The football shirt wouldve meant far more to Murray walker when he left, not Schumacher.

Disgraceful - and very sad to see ITV showing themselves up in the way that they did

Rant over

oooh, so it is a good job the presentation of the WWII spitfire propellor was not televised then!

Russ-Turner - 23/10/06 at 11:07 AM

quote:
Originally posted by jos

Rant over

He's a massive football fan, I think it's good he got something a little different.

Russ-Turner - 23/10/06 at 11:08 AM

I've seen the future.....

greggors84 - 23/10/06 at 01:08 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Russ-Turner
I've seen the future.....

In that order?

Heres what Kimi thinks of the hype surrounding Schumis last race!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rJ9btlNQW20

BT, I see you have Button up there very high and 2 british champions not even on the list. Button is a good driver, but even with a good package I think he would struggle to be as good as Mansell.

907 - 23/10/06 at 11:19 PM

quote:
Originally posted by jos

Rant over

Absolutely.

(Wasn't an original shirt, just a repro)

Not that they will read it, but I've emailed ITV to tell them what I think of them.

Paul G

mad dad - 24/10/06 at 03:38 PM

thought it was a great race and i think Schuey should have had one more season as i think he proved in this race he still has a lot of motivation and is IMHO better than anyone else out there.....i know he did not get the championship but unusually the ferrari gave up which did not help. Maybe he had made enough to pay his mortgage off and thought best get out now