Board logo

OT cleaning upvc window frames
Danozeman - 29/11/07 at 04:40 PM

My window frames have years old paint and glue from sticky pads etc all over the edges and it looks a b*****d.

Does anyone know a good easy way to remove said crap from plastic frames? Without the use of a scraper and elbow grease?

Im gonna get new windows at some point as these are crap but want to make them look better as the new ones wont be for a couple of years..

Mr Whippy - 29/11/07 at 04:51 PM

why would anyone paint a plastic window in the first place? what's the point?

Try white spirit for the glue and stickys

[Edited on 29/11/07 by Mr Whippy]

richwill - 29/11/07 at 04:52 PM

go to b&q or other diy shed and get some wonder wipes or decorators wipes. They shift just bout everything. I used the wonder wipes to clean up lots of my donor parts.
cheers Rich

Danozeman - 29/11/07 at 04:59 PM

quote:

why would anyone paint a plastic window in the first place? what's the point?

Its where they have done the cutting in round the windows in a shite fashion. Not actually painted the whole frame. The person that did it must have been blind. Its like it in everyroom in the house!!

quote:

go to b&q or other diy shed and get some wonder wipes or decorators wipes.

Iv actually got some wipes that id forgotten about. Just got to find them...

geoff shep - 29/11/07 at 05:13 PM

You can get uPVC polish - I guess its very lightly abrasive just like t-cut or brasso etc but it works well.

higgsti - 29/11/07 at 05:15 PM

use non abrasive cream cleaner like the mrs uses on the bath

mistergrumpy - 29/11/07 at 06:02 PM

Thinners for the paint? I have some proper UPVC window frame cleaner and it is just T cut in another bottle. Takes off that top oxidised layer and leaves a shine. Gotta use that elbow though

joneh - 29/11/07 at 06:15 PM

Go to your local PBM and get a bottle of solvant cleaner. You need something stronger than white spirit. I used to use this when I did double glazzing. Great stuff.

britishtrident - 29/11/07 at 06:23 PM

You can buy a spray on UPVC cleaner that just wipes off brilliant stuff --- I go mine from a £ Shop.

Schrodinger - 29/11/07 at 07:31 PM

Try Excel Windows Hadleigh Rd Ind. Est. Ipswich they have been very helpful to me in the past when I have wanted to clean stuff off UPVC windows. Their window prices were quite good as well.

owelly - 29/11/07 at 08:32 PM

Cif. It's what my builder chum uses and now I also use it......

Danozeman - 30/11/07 at 07:25 PM

I will try all of these solutions thanks chaps. Ill let you know how i get on,.

DarrenW - 30/11/07 at 08:09 PM

Would G3 or G10 work?