Board logo

Hospital on tuesday!
liam.mccaffrey - 21/2/08 at 10:42 PM

Well not sure how to say this or why im telling a forum about it but here goes

A few days ago I went to the docs with nausea and severe back pain. after a CT scan the results showed a portion of inflamed and thickened small bowel a large mass in my abdomen and legions on my liver. I have had a PET scan which showed that the mass and the bowell were the same entity and that there is increases metabolic activity in the bowel and liver.

I am having surgery on tuesday to remove the offending articles and some portions of my liver. It is unclear whether it is cancer yet it and my post operative care could range from absolutely nothing to aggresive chemotherapy.

I don't know why i felt the urge to share this openly in public but it helps me feel better, problem shared and all.

off to finish building my front wishbones

liam.mccaffrey - 21/2/08 at 10:47 PM

almost forgot to ask
can anyone recomend any good authors for crime/thriller novels for me to read over the next couple of weeks

Omni - 21/2/08 at 10:47 PM

Good luck with the Op mate

Defo better to share than to bottle it all up.

Omni

bigrich - 21/2/08 at 10:48 PM

Cant imagine how you feel at the moment but will have fingers crossed that its not to serious, and the doctors can sort it out
Hope all go's well on Tuesday

robinbastd - 21/2/08 at 10:51 PM

Liam,

You'll have thousands of locostbuilders thinking of you - well, thinking about nurses and uniforms.
All the best for the op.

Cheers,
Ian

Mansfield - 21/2/08 at 10:54 PM

Keep your chin up mate, really hope all is good, best of luck for tuesday.

David

Johneturbo - 21/2/08 at 10:59 PM

Hey
Good luck for tuesday matey.
and don't forget to take your camera phone, so you can take some pics and add them to ratemynurse.com

[Edited on 21/2/08 by Johneturbo]

PAUL FISHER - 21/2/08 at 11:01 PM

At least there getting you in quick Liam and getting you sorted,good luck,try not to worry too much.keep yourself busy until you go in,all the best.Paul

owelly - 21/2/08 at 11:03 PM

Good luck matey!!
And don't forget, if you're not happy with the treatment or hospital, you can choose to go any NHS hospital as a part of the 'Elective Selective scheme'!!
Make sure you choose one with yummy nurses....

Guinness - 21/2/08 at 11:06 PM

Good luck Liam!

Mike

liam.mccaffrey - 21/2/08 at 11:06 PM

appreciate you comments guys, btw im in the states for this, i dont know if things would be happening this quickly back home???

Volvorsport - 21/2/08 at 11:11 PM

youll have an impressive battle scar , and a catheter - just make sure you get a good looking nurse when it gets taken out . !!

good luck , dont focus on anything else but yourself/family for a good couple of days .

stevebubs - 21/2/08 at 11:11 PM

In no particular order, it should be relatively easy to get hold of books by

Mark Billingham
John Connolly
Michael Connelly
Harlan Coben
James Patterson (Alex Cross Novels)

HTH

Stephen

PS Good luck

stevebubs - 21/2/08 at 11:12 PM

quote:
Originally posted by liam.mccaffrey
appreciate you comments guys, btw im in the states for this, i dont know if things would be happening this quickly back home???

Depends on the diagnosis - but if the doctors are worried - yes, it would be just as quick

liam.mccaffrey - 21/2/08 at 11:12 PM

very helpfull thanks

onzarob - 21/2/08 at 11:16 PM

Best of luck with the op,

u2u me your address and I will send you some novels. tomorrow got plenty of crime and thrillers

[Edited on 21-2-2008 by onzarob]

RK - 21/2/08 at 11:17 PM

Anything by Ian Rankin. Very very good!

Oh, and good luck with your predicament. Hopefully you won't be out of action too long.

BTW Anything in the States is very fast. All you have to do is prove you can pay, and they're all over you.

[Edited on 21/2/08 by RK]

joneh - 21/2/08 at 11:20 PM

Hope the op goes well for you.

I'm reading Karen Rose: Die for me.
Anything by Tess Gerittson is great.
Love the dan browns and anything by James patterson.

Jon.

stevebubs - 21/2/08 at 11:24 PM

also
Lee Child - Jakc Reacher novels are normally a good read
John Grisham - but his legal thrillers (ala Pelican Brief, The Bretheren etc) not his "other" stuff
Peter James

[Edited on 22/2/08 by stevebubs]

stevebubs - 21/2/08 at 11:25 PM

quote:
Originally posted by joneh
Hope the op goes well for you.

I'm reading Karen Rose: Die for me.
Anything by Tess Gerittson is great.
Love the dan browns and anything by James patterson.

Jon.

IMHO, Dan Brown's Angels & Demons was far better than the Davinci Code...

BenB - 21/2/08 at 11:35 PM

Good luck!!!!! An optimistic attitude does amazing things for your immune system so try and stay positive and plan for many blats in the Seven soon....

davie h - 21/2/08 at 11:40 PM

Liam good luck for Tuesady i hope all goes well. at least youll have all those nurses looking after you

good luck Davie

TGR-ECOSSE - 21/2/08 at 11:42 PM

All the best. Keep smiling

You said "Well not sure how to say this or why im telling a forum about it but here goes"
You are not telling a forum you are telling friends

caber - 21/2/08 at 11:49 PM

Best of luck with the op.

If you can get themtry the Christopher Brookmeyer novels a sort of mixed crime/ action and very funny in parts a really good read. Take the book, pencil and paper and spend some time thinking about the car you can sketch ideas for parts to work out things that aren't obvious.

Take care

Caber

Simon - 21/2/08 at 11:54 PM

As everyone says, hope allgoes well!

Bookwise, if you can get hold of the first two "Traveller" books by John Twelve Hawks (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Traveler_(novel)), they will keep you occupied for a couple of days.

If you want light hearted, Clive Cussler's books always amuse me in a Roger Moore 007 kind of way. Ludicrous plot, massive coincidences, but good fun.

I'd also second Lee Child's books

ATB

Simon

alister667 - 22/2/08 at 12:27 AM

Good luck, all the best.

Ali

worX - 22/2/08 at 06:23 AM

All the best for Tuesday Liam!
U2U your address and I'll stick a couple in the post for you!

Steve

Ivan - 22/2/08 at 06:58 AM

You and your family must be genuinely feeling worried.

Hope it all works out OK

I'm sure the whole forum will be thinking of, and/or praying for, you on Tuesday.

jabbahutt - 22/2/08 at 07:52 AM

good luck Tuesday, hope all goes well

sammy - 22/2/08 at 07:52 AM

Good luck hope it all goes well! Amazing what they can do now, sure you'll be fine.

MikeCapon - 22/2/08 at 07:57 AM

Good luck to you. I hope it makes you feel better that there are hundreds of fingers crossed for you all over the world.

t.j. - 22/2/08 at 08:23 AM

Beeing sick etc is a bad invention.........
I wouldn't mind if there were no illness.

Get well soon! But def. before the sunny weather.
Best wishes, and good luck.

bonzoronnie - 22/2/08 at 08:31 AM

You have my best wishes.

I hope all turns out well for you.

Ronnie

Mr Whippy - 22/2/08 at 08:35 AM

Good luck & ask for a laptop to keep in touch

fesycresy - 22/2/08 at 08:43 AM

If your lucks like mine, you'll have a dedicated nurse...

...and she'll be 5' tall, 30 stone and stronger than you.

Couldn't you take a few b*stard bars in with you to keep the nurses entertained ?

Good Luck

Lyn

[Edited on 22/2/08 by fesycresy]

stevec - 22/2/08 at 08:45 AM

Good luck Liam.
Someone very close to me has been going through a similar situation. Keep your chin up. Think positively.
All the best.
Steve.

02GF74 - 22/2/08 at 09:00 AM

good luck and hope it all goes well.

book wise I am into the old clasics - Dickens/Hardy.

iank - 22/2/08 at 09:20 AM

Sh*t, sorry to hear that. I really hope everything works out ok for you. I found the wait before the op is the worst bit mentally (testicular cancer op+chemo 2 years ago), but at least that's normally short (the NHS gets all efficient with this kind of thing once you've had the scans no different to the States).

Keep us up to date - I found it helps to talk to people (even though lot's of people really don't know what to say back).

Good luck!

Fozzie - 22/2/08 at 09:36 AM

Liam...best of luck.......we will all be thinking of you.......as said, try to get a lappy/online in there, its always good to talk, even if its a load of rubbish!

You are not alone......although you are in the States at the mo, your mates (us motley crew) are still only a 'mouse-click' away.....

Chin up and think positive vibes!

ATB Fozzie

GaryM - 22/2/08 at 09:38 AM

Good luck. Think positive.

Gary

Duncan_P - 22/2/08 at 09:45 AM

Good Luck, hope all goes well next week

As well as books i would take in a few magazines, and (if you vaguelly into computer games) a games console. I was lent a DS last time i was in hospital and it really helped pass the time.

donut - 22/2/08 at 10:43 AM

Very best of luck mate. Fingers crossed for you.

DarrenW - 22/2/08 at 11:42 AM

Hope it all goes well for you.

Will you have wireless broadband in hospital? Worst bit will be if you cant log on for a while

I know its not easy but no point overly worrying until they confirm what it is.

If you have to have radiation traetment will you have to take your red hat off? Cant imagine what Zig (or is it Zag) will look like with no hair at all.

westcost1 - 22/2/08 at 11:48 AM

Good luck, could take some pics of the car in with you use the time to plan the nex t stages. hope it is all sorted soon.
Nick

iank - 22/2/08 at 11:58 AM

quote:
Originally posted by DarrenW

If you have to have radiation traetment will you have to take your red hat off? Cant imagine what Zig (or is it Zag) will look like with no hair at all.

It's Chemo that you lose most of your hair, Radiotherapy you just lose it where they aim. I looked particularly 'Uncle Fester'

DarrenW - 22/2/08 at 12:19 PM

quote:
Originally posted by iank
quote:
Originally posted by DarrenW

It's Chemo that you lose most of your hair, Radiotherapy you just lose it where they aim. I looked particularly 'Uncle Fester'

Thats Ok then as he said Chemo in his forst post but i couldnt remember the term he used when posting that!

NigeEss - 22/2/08 at 12:55 PM

Best Wishes mate,

ATB

Nige

TimC - 22/2/08 at 02:37 PM

Hi Liam
Best wishes from the 'land of our Fathers!'

NS Dev - 22/2/08 at 02:57 PM

Bets of luck Liam, hope all goes well, and keep us up to date

Benzine - 22/2/08 at 03:10 PM

Best of luck

chrisf - 22/2/08 at 03:26 PM

Liam needs an iPhone

I'll ring you in an hour or so to dicuss, but I may drive to OKC on Tues. My thoughts are with you and Laura.

--ATB, Chris

liam.mccaffrey - 22/2/08 at 03:55 PM

good one chris!!

thank you everyone, im overhwelmed by all the response. maybe this is reason i wanted to tell al you guys. thank you for the support. Ill have pictures of seven in hospital with me and also the laptop. hopefully ill be able to get online in there

ill keep you all posted

Jubal - 25/2/08 at 11:16 AM

Good luck for tomorrow! Seven years ago I was in exactly the same situation as you, with broadly similar symptoms. I got the news I was dreading but here I still am, annoying folk and enjoying life. I went through it all (surgery, chemo etc). None of it was easy, but it's all doable. Keep positive.

iank - 25/2/08 at 12:05 PM

Good luck Liam, everything is crossed for good news,

Peteff - 25/2/08 at 04:23 PM

I was in hospital a fortnight back for a bladder cancer removal. I was only in overnight and was sent home with a catheter fitted for 5 days and can't do anything heavy for a month (not even heavy petting ) I have to wait for the biopsy results and have to go back in 3 months for a repeat cystoscopy (which is really alternative, imagine shoving a flexible biro down the end of your willy). Anyway I hope you are keeping your spirits up as I got a bit down when I was told about mine but as the Doctor said, it's better to know about it and do something than to leave it and be too late. edit to add:- The catheter removal stings a bit as well and they don't let you go home till you've done two wees and they measure it (the wee that is)

[Edited on 25/2/08 by Peteff]

Mr Whippy - 25/2/08 at 04:30 PM

and there's me thinking I've got it bad having drunk so much coffee I've given myself a headache…

Good luck tomorrow, if you’ve got a lappy how about fitting a web cam so we can watch the op? We could heckle the surgeon and tell him how he’s doing it all wrong

'Don't use that use ducktape!!'

zilspeed - 28/2/08 at 08:46 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
I was in hospital a fortnight back for a bladder cancer removal. I was only in overnight and was sent home with a catheter fitted for 5 days and can't do anything heavy for a month (not even heavy petting ) I have to wait for the biopsy results and have to go back in 3 months for a repeat cystoscopy (which is really alternative, imagine shoving a flexible biro down the end of your willy). Anyway I hope you are keeping your spirits up as I got a bit down when I was told about mine but as the Doctor said, it's better to know about it and do something than to leave it and be too late. edit to add:- The catheter removal stings a bit as well and they don't let you go home till you've done two wees and they measure it (the wee that is)

[Edited on 25/2/08 by Peteff]

I F$$%ing knew you had been quiet recently.

The best of luck / vibes to you both lads.
Keep thinking positive. It's very very important.

Give them hell !!!

andybod - 28/2/08 at 09:01 PM

all the best keep us all informed on your progress andy

Tralfaz - 28/2/08 at 09:23 PM

If I can help in any way let me know. Should be able to post you something in a day or two from the East Coast.

Brian