Board logo

Anyone know where I can find a VIN/chassis from a reg number??
eznfrank - 1/9/08 at 02:12 PM

As above, is there any sort of (preferably free) online checker??

I am in London and my V5's for two cars are at home but I urgently need the chassis number to check with Alfa if they are the same engine? Pretty sure they are but I'm told there may have been some head mods on the newer ones?

Paul TigerB6 - 1/9/08 at 02:15 PM

Cant the dealer do this from the Reg number alone?? I thought they had this facility on their databases now??

eznfrank - 1/9/08 at 02:18 PM

Apparently not, I've tried 4 Alfa dealers and they are all "average" to say the very least!!!! They all want the Vin to get the engine numbers to check them.

I'm 250 odd miles away from the car and kinda stuck really

the_fbi - 1/9/08 at 04:08 PM

I can't find the normal one I use, but you can get it from this one.

http://www.247spares.co.uk

Type in your reg, and click "find my vehicle details".

On the resulting page, (presuming its identified the correct car), right click and view source.

Then CTRL F, and search for VIN (its just after the 2nd search hit)

The next character after the last ; is the start of the VIN, it ends at the &quot.

If all you want is engine number, then search for ENGINENUMBER and its just after.

Note: OK, seems even using the /code tags that you can't quote HTML. I'll figure out a way, but the data is in there!

[Edited on 1/9/08 by the_fbi]

rusty nuts - 1/9/08 at 04:47 PM

Do you know any friendly motor factors where you are? Most of them should be able to help

McLannahan - 1/9/08 at 05:39 PM

The FBI - Fantastic!

Many thanks - works a treat!

ReMan - 1/9/08 at 05:45 PM

quote:
Originally posted by the_fbi
I can't find the normal one I use, but you can get it from this one.

http://www.247spares.co.uk

Type in your reg, and click "find my vehicle details".

On the resulting page, (presuming its identified the correct car), right click and view source.

Then CTRL F, and search for VIN (its just after the 2nd search hit)

The next character after the last ; is the start of the VIN, it ends at the &quot.

If all you want is engine number, then search for ENGINENUMBER and its just after.

Note: OK, seems even using the /code tags that you can't quote HTML. I'll figure out a way, but the data is in there!

Blimey you really are the FBI!!
Worked for me.
Interesting it found my make as unknown, then the advert below quotes breaking 43 unknown vehicles!